Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had goldens for twenty years. This is my sixth one and I am having a terrible time with him. He is one year old and was neutered this morning. Tonight he is howling in his crate. Aren't they supposed to sleep? He has had his pain meds. He has been taken outside. He had a little food. He normally goes into the crate at night begrudgingly but without a fuss. Tonight he growled and snapped. I understand that part--he's cranky from the pain. But the howling is driving me crazy. He has always been a high-energy, hard to handle dog. In fact, I got him from a young guy who is a runner and hiker and couldn't handle him. I seriously have never had a golden, or a mixed breed, or a child that is this difficult. But what I need to know now, is it totally unusual to howl like this after neutering?

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Benadryl is an antihistamine used primarily to treat allergic reactions in dogs. Before you give it to your pup, call your vet. The vocalizing could be a reaction to anesthesia or pain. Again, call your vet or if he or she is not reachable, contact a 24 hour animal hospital. They should be able to advise you.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Anesthesia can make the dogs do weird things, and may take 24 to 48 hours for it to be completely out of his system. I would also give him pain medication. I hope the vet sent some home with you. If he would settle outside the crate you might let him sleep uncrated tonight.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Also, is he wearing a cone? Some dogs don't tolerate them, but you have to have something to keep him from licking or chewing his stitches/incision.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It sounds like he is uncomfortable from the surgery. Since he has pain meds, I would let the vet know he is howling in case something is amiss with the surgery site. Poor baby. It's the first night, so I would be patient with him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take care of his surgical wounds. If it is bleeding or swollen and your pup gets more and more painful, it's necessary to call your vet asap! Just understand his pain and provide him with enough patience and companion.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I know I am late to this - but I am concerned that your vet didn't warn you that some dogs come off anesthesia badly and cry. He might also be in some pain. Have you tried sitting with him and comforting him? My girl came off the anesthesia badly after her spay. She lay with her sore tummy on the cool tile bathroom floor and cried for about 4-5 hours. I lay there with her. It broke my heart. But it is just how some dogs react to the drugs. I hope you didn't give him the Benadryl. It could have been dangerous following the anesthesia.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I have had goldens for twenty years. This is my sixth one and I am having a terrible time with him. He is one year old and was neutered this morning. Tonight he is howling in his crate. Aren't they supposed to sleep? He has had his pain meds. He has been taken outside. He had a little food. He normally goes into the crate at night begrudgingly but without a fuss. Tonight he growled and snapped. I understand that part--he's cranky from the pain. But the howling is driving me crazy. He has always been a high-energy, hard to handle dog. In fact, I got him from a young guy who is a runner and hiker and couldn't handle him. I seriously have never had a golden, or a mixed breed, or a child that is this difficult. But what I need to know now, is it totally unusual to howl like this after neutering?
Pet owners consider neutering to be a "routine" operation, but it is major surgery nevertheless. Animals react differently to anesthesia and to pain. Howling isn't a common reaction. It could be due to several factors: insufficient pain meds, a bad reaction to the anesthesia, etc. I would suggest calling your vet and staying close to your dog so he feels more secure. He's just been through major surgery and needs a bit of compassion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts