Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! This forum has been so very helpful to me and I appreciate hearing advice/suggestions. Our puppy, Logan, is about 10 1/2 weeks. He is doing great except at night. We put him in his crate around 10:30-11:00 and he is waking us up around 3:00-3:30. (He wines, cries, barks) We stop having water available at 7:00 and let him out right before he goes in the crate. Anyone else not getting much sleep?
Logan's been home with us for 2 1/2 weeks and has settled in nicely except he hates his cage. I have been off for the past 3 weeks and go back to work fulltime next Tuesday. I'm worried about how he will do being in his cage from 7:30-4:00. I hired a pet sitter for the next six weeks to be fair to the pup. (maybe longer if I can afford it) She will come around 12:00 and play with him and walk him once he is all updated on his shots.
Logan hasn't taken to chewing or biting on the bully sticks or the kong filled with goodies. Is this something he will like as he gets older?
Thanks, :wavey:
Pam

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're in the same boat with a 10 week old new puppy. She doesn't like the crate one bit. Last night she went in at 10, whined for 15 minutes, fell asleep until 2:30 and then whined and barked every 15 minutes or so. The last time we got up, my husband was carrying her and she pooped while he was doing it! Finally, we put her in bed with us to get her to stop.
I do think playing before bed is a good idea. Last night she slept for more than an hour near us until we went to bed.
She was litter trained to a gerbil litter box. I don't want to continue that so we don't have one. Any help on where the crate should be - downstairs in laundry room, versus upstairs in kitchen? HELP!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to understand that they are usually whining or barking for a reason...to go to the bathroom. You can't let the puppy train you, you have to train it. They are just babies, they eat, sleep and..well you know. We have our 2nd little boy(HANK), who is just 9 wks old. I crate him at night and I stay with him until he falls asleep(usually 5-10 mins) He usually wakes up around 2 or 3 am, I get him take him out, he does his business and then back to the crate. Sometimes he wakes up again sometimes not. You might as well get rid of the crate if you are not going to use it correctly. It is not for punishment either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have trained my three dogs this way. I put the crate next to my bed. Within arms reach. When we go to bed, lights go off and usually there may be a bit of fussiness but they always settle down quickly.

They get one potty break at night. If they think that since I am up it is party time, well they are sorely mistaken. They go back into the crate and I get into bed. The minute the whining starts. I rap the top of the crate or shake it a bit and say, "go to bed!" I have only had to do that a couple of times and that was the end of the night terrors.

Of course if it is an emergency, got to go out now! cry, I can ususaly tell the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the same thing as the poster above me. I put my girl to bed at 11 and if she whines anytime before 8 in the morning then I will get up and take her out once and then put her back in the crate, but after that if she whines again then i give her a good slap on the side which scares her to being quiet. I only had to do this for maybe 2 or 3 nights and now she never makes a sound anytime i put her in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crate training going better

Hi, Thanks for the advice. We decided that we were letting our puppy sleep too much before bed. So we keep her active now at least two hours before she goes in to the crate. Also limit her water the last hour or so. Someone else suggested throwing a shoe at the crate to startle her. That also seems to work. She's doing much, much better. Now we're working on the potty training by ringing bells on the door! :crossfing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts