Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the beginning stage of searching for a puppy. We lost our wonderful girl, Tessa, in January after a 10 month battle with fibrosarcoma. She was 9. We are grateful for every day we shared with her and for the excellent care provided by our local vet and the NCSU Vet School Oncology department. They gave her 10 months to live the best life possible. That said, we hope as we seek a new golden family member, to identify a breeder that committed to breeding first and foremost to the health and temperament of the breed.

I've been on the Golden Retriever Club page and numerous local club pages and breeder websites. I'm really trying my best to do my homework and I am impressed with the knowledge and experise that is shared on this forum. I would appreciate any recommendations that folks can share. We would ideally like to find a puppy this summer but we are flexible once we identify the right breeder for us. We are also willing to travel as necessary.The puppy will be our companion and will also be certified for Therapy Care.

Thank you for any advise you can share.

·
GreenTeaDarkChocolate
43 Posts
I am really sorry for your loss of Tessa.
In my search for a puppy, I had connected with two very good breeders in NC, Sandpiper and Golden Rose. Golden Rose (Julie) is very involved in service and therapy dogs.
Since you mentioned you are willing to travel and wait, Cayberry Golden Retrievers in CT is another really good breeder who is very involved in therapy. I couldn't get a puppy due to the wait time but she was very helpful.

·
Kristy
10,644 Posts
My heart goes out to you on losing Tessa, 9 years is not long enough and so unfair... I'm glad you're not waiting longer to begin your breeder search, bringing a puppy home helps with healing a heart.

I love that you're willing to travel, that will make your life so much easier. I would put together an email talking about Tessa and why you would be a dream home for a good breeder's precious puppy. Talk about obedience training and plans and anything you'd like to do with your next Golden. Ask for a referral to someone they feel is a very reputable and careful breeder who they would point you toward if they don't have a litter planned anytime soon.

Some of my ideas would be Grapevine Goldens, Cobblestone, Malagold, Prism, Goldruls, who would be breeders I would want a referral from if they didn't have a litter planned. Or might have a male dog who is siring a litter for another breeder they would refer you to. Also try sending a private message to k9-design who is a member here who has males who might be a siring a litter you'd be interested in. That is actually how I found my special girl who I have now, by networking through the owner of the sire.

No matter how you are able to find a breeder, be sure to ask about clearances on the parents of the litter. A reputable breeder will be very happy to explain them to you. People here can take a look at the clearances and help you if you have the registered names of the parents. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for these suggestions. I'm in the process of researching and following up with these breeders as recommended. In the meanwhile, one of the breeders that I have reached out to contacted me that she thinks she will have a litter available this summer. She is taking her dog for and ultrasound tomorrow to confirm. She has not listed the litter on her website yet but plans to after confirmation of pregnancy. I have the link to the health and pedigree certifications, but to be honest, I don't feel knowledgeable enough to understand what I am looking at. I tried to PM you with the links, however, because I a new to this site I can't until I have 7 posts. I am hesitant to publicly post the links since the breeder is not advertising at this time. Would you mind PM me and giving me your thoughts on this pairing? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.