Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I live in Seattle and Earth Animal (along with apple cider vinegar) has worked great for me. No fleas or ticks. Seattle vets don't push heartworm meds so I don't use them in the winter and may do so in the summer.

I notice you're in the Bay Area -- don't they have a bigger flea problem? I never owned a dog while living there, but my friend in SF has her dog on Frontline and he still got fleas. For that reason, I will be using a topical (and heartworm meds) for my trip home to SF in June.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just ordered Bug Off Garlic due to the good reviews I have heard about it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
We have started Miaya on the Bug off Garlic chews about a week ago. She liked them at first but now we have to coat with peanut butter. My Tom-Girl had a tendency to BURP:yuck: after eating anything, lets just say peanut butter and garlic are not the best smelling. :new (13):

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keep us updated about the Bug off!

Fleas can be a problem in northern California. Mostly in the summer. But as frontline doesn't always work, I try to look for them and give baths.

·
Hawkeye the GR=fur nephew
749 Posts
I'm honestly stressing on what to do. I'm worried about TBD's. My Lab tested positive for Lymes last August at her yearly. I treated with Doxy for two months I think. Have not seen any symptoms, but still worried obviously.
In that time frame of when she could have gotten bit by the tick with Lymes I had the dogs on a cheap flea/tick med because I had moved and couldn't afford to buy the Advantix II.
I don't know wheter to pray the BOG works or stick to what I know works.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Guys, don't waste your money on that Bug Off Garlic. Garlic is not healthy for dogs contrary to popular belief and it does not work.
Stick with the known flea and tick topicals bought by vets if you have a serious flea and tick problem. Another solution for the ones of you that don't like topicals is the Seresto Flea and Tick collar that just came out. It is suppose to last 8 months long and run at about 69 dollars. It can be bought at vet clinics, but I have also seen it in online pet stores such as Foster's and Smith, 1-800 petmeds, etc.
Especially if one of your dogs has tested positive for Lyme disease, you cannot rely on Garlic pills.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm honestly stressing on what to do. I'm worried about TBD's. My Lab tested positive for Lymes last August at her yearly. I treated with Doxy for two months I think. Have not seen any symptoms, but still worried obviously.
In that time frame of when she could have gotten bit by the tick with Lymes I had the dogs on a cheap flea/tick med because I had moved and couldn't afford to buy the Advantix II.
I don't know wheter to pray the BOG works or stick to what I know works.

Advantix II is much cheaper through online sources like petco.com. Many vets also offer deals like buy 6 get one free. I've heard bad things about cheaper formulas like Hartz. My dog is sensitive & gets pretty itchy/annoyed for a few days after advantix application, but we camp frequently so as much as I hate the topicals - good flea & tick prevention is a MUST for us

·
Registered
61 Posts
We tried Sentry Natural Defense. It seemed to work somewhat, but it's very smelly (like cloves and vanilla) and it burned Oscar's skin. I put some on a bandana and had him wear that instead. We just moved here (Western WA) last summer and fleas seem to be really terrible here. Where we lived before in the mountains of Northern CA there were no fleas. So we're still trying to figure this all out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
looking for ideas of a good natural flea and tick repellant

Has anyone used Mella Luca Oil on their Golden for flea and tick prevention? I have used Vectra in the past but it seems to really bother my Golden. He usually lets me to anything to him but when I pull out the Vectra he runs away from me. On accident I got some on my hand and it burned so bad. I feel terrible thinking that what he is feeling. Any ideas?

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
A natural repellant and killer that has done great with past and current dogs, it does a great job repelling bugs and it kills gorged ticks before being able to transmit disease, I've gotten through the worst seasons with the stuff

1 part diatomaceous earth
1 part dry neem powder
1 part yarrow powder

Garlic can help and it has been proven to be beneficial for canine health in SMALL AMOUNTS for dogs but although it helps its not a real preventative, it just makes them less appetizing. Some essential oils can help too but they can't kill the bugs. Flee and tick collars are the worst of the preventatives because they contain even more of the harsh chemicals

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Advantix for both my dogs (it's the most water-proof one apparently), and I also use Diatemaceous Earth powder. I lightly dust their coats with it, and also sprinkle some wherever they sleep. I do this every seven days, because I read that the flea life-cycle is 21 days.

The combination seems to be working for us. If you do use DE, just don't sprinkle while your dogs are nearby. Because it's derived from rock, it's very abrasive and if it gets into their eyes, it can cause major discomfort and bleeding.

When we had a flea infestation last year, we also used Flego which works like magic :) I'm not sure if it's available overseas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.