Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a new puppy 13 weeks, male. I had a good laugh at the "land shark" posts as I was comforted to know that my supposedly gentle golden was mouth munching my arms and legs, shoes, jacket, jeans, blankets on my bed. For crate training chew toy I stuffed a natural bone with chicken and rice and froze it. HoneyBear chomped and chewed and I wonder if this is bad for his teeth? Thanks.
Please note, I am new member, and I hope I've figured out how to post. :wavey:

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
What do you mean by natural bone? I do think those hollow white sterilized bones they sell are too hard. I won't use them with my guys. Now a raw bone is probably ok in small doses but I would save stuffing them for a special treat, or in lieu of a meal.

I am always careful with bones and antlers, and baby teeth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Yes. I used one of the hollowed out sterilized bones. I won't do it again. I think I have a kong or two. I had a bully stick but my older dog took it into the yard and buried it. I have a Kong puppy chew, but HoneyBear isn't really liking it. We are working on crate training and house breaking. I've had him for only a week. He came from a craigslist ad. Someone couldn't keep 2 dogs because of their landlord. Of course that wasn't the real story. I knew I was taking a risk, and loosing the first 6 critical weeks for training. Ok.. I'm off topic.
So I'm scrambling to find good ways to keep this very energetic puppy busy while we work on training and good games we can play instead of chew on mom.
Thanks for opinion on the bones.
Betty

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have you tried nylabone, tasty bone, or benebone?
When our Bella was younger (she's 10 months now) I'd buy marrow bones directly from the butcher and remove the marrow and refill with soaked kibble or any other kong appropriate filling. Uncooked and untreated bones are softer. But really, stuffing an appropriately sized kong is probably the safest bet.
Bella is crazy about the go find game. We started this at around 10 weeks hiding kibble around the house and gradually have moved up to tennis balls that are hidden quite well, like under boxes and blankets and such..Point is, thinking games will help to wear them out.
I'm also a big fan of the Kyra Sundance trick training books and Susan Garretts training methods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts