Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued our Bree when she was 5 months. She was fed Purina puppy chow when we got her, so we tried to add Natural Balance in a little at a time which gave her the trotts. Now we have her on Aims leg breed puppy formula. Our 14 yr old Golden was on Natural Balance and supplements, and thrived on it (our beloved Dakota passed a year ago) Opinions on Natural Balance and food for 7 month puppy, please! Bree also takes 1200 cap of fish oil a day (should I switch to EV Coconut Oil?), a few small pieces of celery, baby carrots, 1 TBL organic peanut butter. You can teach an old dog new tricks! Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Natural Balance is a pretty good, all life stage kibble. Not all kibbles agree with all dogs.

It could also be the fish oil - maybe too much?

If you want to stay on the NB, I'd try eliminating the fish oil for a while and see what happens. If things firm up, you can try to reintroduce the fish oil in smaller amounts. Or switch to the coconut oil, but go slow with that, too.

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
We are feeding NB potato and duck LID. Poops are great but I'm not liking how little Pearl is eating. We may try to augment it with another premium food that she made a beeline to in the store. I need to ask our breeder how much weight she is supposed to be gaining. I thought he said 2 lbs a week but that's not happening and now that I think about it that doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't start Bree on fish oil until her poop was normal which was after we fed her Iam's for a month. Food for our furry loves is so complicated now with China, recalls, salmonella. We live in SW Florida, Bree swims in the pool everyday so the fish oil helps her coat. Dakota took fish oil everyday for 14 years and was a healthy and beautiful Golden. I take EV Coconut oil so I may try 1/2 a tsp in her food in the am and give her the fish oil with her dinner. Thanks for the input! I love this forum!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying! How old was Pearl when you started her on NB? Bree was 30 lbs at 5 months. That was the day we got her. Our vet said she was under weight. She had been on puppy chow which we gradually mixed with NB. We think she wasn't ready for that so mixed Iam's puppy leg breed at that point. At 7 months on the 14th she weighs 40 lbs. I'm going to add NB next month, a little at a time. I give her the NB for treats while training. Do you give Pearl anything else such as Peanut butter in a Kong, carrots, ect?

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
We started transitioning her as soon as we got her home at 8.5 weeks. She didn't like the Sweet potato flavor, which we had been using for our recently passed Hazel. So we went to the potato/duck, which at least Lila likes better. Pearl likes it OK, but isn't really eating enthusiastically enough IMO. I need to check with the breeder for recommended weights. I gave her some Nupro in her breakfast today, and she went wild, jumped up at Lila's bowl and knocked it over all over the floor. What a mess! I don't like how fast she ate that, I prefer that she not be a "scrarfer" and eat a bit slow. We had a chocolate lab that always ate too fast and she had a lot of gas. We ended up putting a rock in her bowl so she had to eat around it, and it slowed her down considerably.

They eat a lot of other stuff, yogurt, pumpkin, peanut butter, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, even a bit of watermelon. I've been making dried sweet potato leather also.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think raw food is an important addition to the kibble too. Bree likes the Natural Balance, not anything so far she dislikes. Lol. The sweet potatoes leather sounds interesting! How do you make it?

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
Slice up sweet potato/yam lengthwise, about 1/2" thick. Pop it in the dehydrator for a day, with maybe a bit more drying the 2nd for the thickest pieces. It sure roughs up her poops!

·
Registered
141 Posts
ohhhhh, I now need a dehydrator too so I can make sweet potato leather. . .
thanks for that idea!

p.s. reading this thread makes me feel my guy is huge
he weighed 30 lbs at 14 weeks when we adopted him
and now at 5.5 months weighs 47lbs
he gains about 2lbs a week but is really skinny...

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
You can also make the leather in the oven. Just use the lowest setting, turn more often, and watch a little closer. They will dry faster in there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts