Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I posted yesterday about Solid Gold food but thought I should ask about Natural Balance since that's what our vet recommended due to allergies.

We're not 100% sure Ozzy has allergies but based on the fact that he's been to the vet this month once for diarrhea, once for an ear infection, and now the skin around his eyes looks pink and irritated, our vet thinks it's somewhat likely he's developing one. It might be environmental but she suggested trying Natural Balance Vension and Sweet Potato since it has limited ingredients. So far we've been just treating the symptoms and it's been working (diarrhea and ear infections are gone and the ointment we're using on the eyes is working) but she felt it couldn't hurt to try a new food and see how it goes. Maybe he doesn't have allergies but it can't hurt to switch him to a new food as long as it's a good one.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about Natural Balance Food?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been using Natural Balance, fish and sweet potato for the past 3 years for my almost 5 year old Oggie (close to your Ozzy). I am not sure that he has allergies so much as a sensitivity to anything with chicken or poultry type products. We tried Lamb and rice, that was not good either. He has done well on the fish/sweet potato Natural Balance. Anytime he has anything with poultry in it he gets diarrhea.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan. Here is the page for the sweet potato and venison. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/VenDog.html If you scroll down, sweet potato is the main ingredient, followed by venison ( not a meal.... so the meat which is about 80% water) and then potato protein. Also, I really don't like the fact they don't provide a full nutritional analysis for each of their products. There are many products with novel proteins and good for allergies. Right now I'm feeding Timberwolf bison ( with salmon) to the goldens and Annamaet Option with catfish to Cody and Syd. All are good for allergies. Also the Fromm 4 star line has single protein sources which can be used for allergy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts