Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
As to the asterisk, a near analogy could be said for the dogs that earn points or the win against a field of 25 dogs vs. a field of 120 dogs, or a field that has only 1 or 2 titled dogs vs a field that has 40, so it's a bit of a slippery slope to say that one win isn't as worthy as another win.
Good analogy.
Winning an all breed trial stacked with dozens of FC-AFC dogs is more impressive than winning a owner handler amateur with 15 QAA entries but both count for 5 points.
Not disparaging anyone's accomplishments. A win is a win but some are greater achievements than others.

SRW, what's "timeout" training? Maybe it's something that I need to add to my training toolbox.
The same form of discipline that doesn't work on children. Apparently some use it on dogs, I read about it on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,006 Posts
"One highly regarded trainer with multiple FCs told me, early in the career of my most successful Golden to date, to "train with the Lab folks to make sure your standards are high enough.""

That's a positive affirmation of trainers for both breeds.

·
Jamie
474 Posts
As for training a Golden or a Lab, there's as much differentiation within each than there is between the breeds. One post suggested that the Golden owners/trainers are often the limiting factor in a dog's progress, I agree. One highly regarded trainer with multiple FCs told me, early in the career of my most successful Golden to date, to "train with the Lab folks to make sure your standards are high enough."
Great quote FT!

I would love for the specialty to occur this year in Missouri mainly because I'd love to meet everyone. Living in SD and being new to the field game, I have met very few golden folks. I'd love to see that change! Plus I think it would be really fun to run the derby since my plans to run the qual in the 2021 national in Ohio got squashed (for good reason, I'm glad Florida gets to have it).

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This must be a problem unique to your anecdotal experience. Over the years in the service dog area, I've seen many volunteer puppy raisers do an excellent job training labs, goldens, and lab-golden crosses. I've also not encountered one of the staff's professional trainers who couldn't train both a lab and a golden and the lab-golden crosses.
Sorry we gave you some funny answers. Maybe you should hear just a little bit about goldens and labs in field trials. At most field trials, there are 98% labradors entered and 2% goldens entered. One of the above commentors on this thread, won a field trial with the only golden entered in the field trial. If I remember right the entry was more than 70 dogs total. So you can imagine what goldens are up against in field trials, there are so many more labs running them. To attain a FC (field champion title), you have to go against all breeds. Unlike Ch (show champion title), you only go up against golden retrievers to attain that title. In the average year, only 2 or 3 goldens attain a FC title, whereas 50-60 labs do. So over in the field area, we like to poke at labs since there are so many more of them. To achieve a FC title, the breeding is a pretty short list of sires/dams. The training is every day all day for years. Average age of a FC title achieved I'm going to guess is 6 years old. So it's a very long hard slog that is a super difficult steep hill to climb.

I hope we didn't put you off in our comments. We're not anti lab, we're just making fun of them and ourselves a little.
By the way, just for statistics, the top points 18 out of 20 OTCH (obedience trial champions) dogs, are golden retrievers. So yup we have labs beat in that area for sure.
Isn't it amazing how versatile goldens are?

Reactions: K9-Design

·
Registered
135 Posts
In the average year, only 2 or 3 goldens attain a FC /AFC:

Alaska, I added AFC. It is way less than that. I think maybe only 1 FC is completing now and maybe 3 AFC? I could be off by 1 or 2 but not many. But any case what a historic milestone for Golden to achieve a FC or AFC. Keep plugging Golden owners there are some nice young Golden’s running. And yes I love it when you are the only Golden running!

Reactions: Alaska7133

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In the average year, only 2 or 3 goldens attain a FC /AFC:

Alaska, I added AFC. It is way less than that. I think maybe only 1 FC is completing now and maybe 3 AFC? I could be off by 1 or 2 but not many. But any case what a historic milestone for Golden to achieve a FC or AFC. Keep plugging Golden owners there are some nice young Golden’s running. And yes I love it when you are the only Golden running!
There are just too few aren't there?
I was really sad when FC Thistle Rock Red Ike died. He only 9 and hadn't had his FC very long. I think Glenda keeps pretty good track of how many there are. I just threw out a number.

Reactions: Edward Lee Nelson

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totally not enough! Hopefully a few more in the next few years. I’m trying my best to get there 🙂 Got to make it through the Q first with our 3 yr old but I think she may have the tools and our off the wall 7 month old, we will see.

·
Registered
815 Posts
1. I think maybe only 1 FC is completing now and maybe 3 AFC? I could be off by 1 or 2 but not many.

2. And yes I love it when you are the only Golden running!
1. How about the list of currently competing titled Goldens? I may not remember them all, but I'll start and hope someone finishes:
>>FC: Crush
>>AFC: Amber, Hawk, Zeva (is she running now?)
>>FC-AFC: none
2. Yep!

FTGoldens

·
Registered
135 Posts
>FC: Crush
AFC: Amber, Hawk, Zeva (is she running now?)
FC-AFC: none
FT Goldens, that is the list I had. Zeva ran a trial in March (She is 8)

A few maybe close: I know Otter has 9 open pts (needs a all breed open win though) and has 14.5 AA points with All breed Amateur win but I dont know how many Benita or Todd got compared with Dave Rorem.

I know the Fullers dogs: Jesse and Auggie are close. Both have I think 20 AA points but I dont know the breakdowns of Open/AM and Specialty points

Reactions: Alaska7133

·
Registered
20 Posts
A week ago because of necessary advance planning at the venue in Florida, the GRCA National Specialty was cancelled for the event scheduled in Florida for October 2020.
A group of people involved in golden field met last night and are trying to get an alternate event planned:
We are trying to find a way to preserve a field trial for Goldens only for 2020.
We still need to get details ironed out and there will be a need for support from a lot of people. I am in the process of letting potentially interested GRCA members and golden owners everywhere in the country know about these plans.
We will need their support and want them to petition the GRCA board to support this effort. We will need to have the board's approval to allow us ti use their AKC “slot” for the trial as well as some financial seed support. We will also need AKC approval for the changes. We are expecting to switch the date to late October and are still working on solidifying a site. Although we have not gotten approval from the owner, we are hoping to use grounds in MO so we can get helper support and draw equally from both sides of the country We are hoping to have a full field trial and a Master & Sr. Hunt test.
So please feel free to start a mail in campaign of support to the GRCA Board [email protected]
Also get you field friends to join in! Thanks
Lee
Lee Herskowitz
Semper Retrievers
Portland, OR
[email protected]et

* It kills us in the Mid Atlantic and NE. Fl was 13 hours from us ( we were going) and Sedalia is 16.5 from us. Next year is in Ohio? So the National won’t be back on the East Coast til 2023. *
So its 30 hours from home for me! There is no * on a placement at a golden only FT. There will be plenty of good competition and challenging tests, where ever it may be. Our organizing group is still waiting on the board to allow us to put on this event, but we have spoken with the land owner and the pro's family to get preliminary approval. Final plans will be confirmed as well as a great judging panel IF we get approval for the trial. Plans currently call for a Hunt Test to precede the trial and those plans are also in progress!
Plan to come as well as to continue to petition the GRCA Board members that you want this event to go! their emails are on the grca.org web site.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Drdawg for working so hard on this. It would be really nice if it all comes together.

I’d love to be there, but flying from Alaska these days is infinitely more difficult these days since there are so few flights now to the states. Unless I can fit in the time to drive the 2700 miles to Seattle, I‘ll be camped out up here.

Reactions: drdawg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Drdawg for working so hard on this. It would be really nice if it all comes together.

I’d love to be there, but flying from Alaska these days is infinitely more difficult these days since there are so few flights now to the states. Unless I can fit in the time to drive the 2700 miles to Seattle, I‘ll be camped out up here.
Hope you can figure out a way to get there Stacey! Looks like it's going to happen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it's in Sedalia and includes an Open and Am I'd enter and help. Depending, of course, on how good the waterfowl hunting is here at that time.
I have mixed feelings about Golden only trials. It would be fun but it puts an asterisks buy a placement IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
drdawg,

Kudos for pulling this off!

The judging panel which you assembled is outstanding! For those who don't recognize all of the names ... THREE of them have judged either a National Retriever Championship or a National Amateur Retriever Championship and all are 7 or 8 point judges!!! Additionally, most, if not all, train their own dogs a great deal of the time. These judges, on the Wood Dale grounds, will put on a marvelous event.

So drdawg, when will entries open up? I'm ready! :)

FTGoldens

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you. People can do us right by coming AND running their dogs. Qualifying is often a fun experience for those who also run MH stakes. We know people will still be worried about COVID issues, but we are planning on following guidelines to keep everyone safe! ALSO the numbers in MO have been very low. We are 3 weeks after the National Derby Championship at the same grounds (by the way, world class grounds); if there is any inkling of a problem at the NDC we will take note and adjust accordingly. We picked the venue because it IS a world class location and because it is half way for both coast. I will be traveling 2000 miles to get there. (by the way who are you FTGoldens?)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Qualifying is often a fun experience for those who also run MH stakes.
Fun and educational. The rules on distance in MH stakes can lead to boring repetitive tests. The judges can be much more creative in quals. For anyone with a master level dog there is still plenty of time to prepare.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
Super jazzed. My friend is thinking of putting his pup in the derby for the first time too. Will make for a great road trip. Fingers crossed that come October we Floridians are allowed to travel! Haha

Reactions: MillionsofPeaches
21 - 40 of 40 Posts