Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The venue actually canceled. It wasn't canceled by the club. Sorry to say so many club specialties like mine have been canceled this year. I know so many people put so much time and energy into putting the national specialty together at this point, it's so sad to lose all their hard work. I hope we can all attend the national specialty 2021 in Michigan Sept 19-29, 2021.

Reactions: Rastadog

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wasn’t planning to go this year. I am planning to go on a cruise in early 2021.....I hope. It’s not looking good! I am 100% planning to go to next years national. Sad they had to cancel. I know they had a lot of work into it already.

·
Maegan
580 Posts
I am absolutely heartbroken by this news. I was so looking forward to this one shining event in the future and it's just not happening. I was hoping to show Rocket in Rally for a QQQ and Eevee in at least BN and Conformation, maybe Rally Novice too. And the professional handlers will lose potentially tens of thousands of dollars from not doing this one event. This event could have potentially made up for missing a few months of shows during this part of the year. It's just such a sad situation and not anyone's fault really. The venue had to do what's best for the people on site for construction right now and the club has to do whats best for health and safety. Robin and her club have put their hearts and souls into this National, so I'm sure no one is hurting as much as them. Nationals take years of planning to pull off well - and this one promised to be spectacular. @Prism Goldens I'm so so sorry. :-(

·
Registered
135 Posts
I read where the GRCA is trying to do a field only National in Sedalia MO. in late Oct.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I read where the GRCA is trying to do a field only National in Sedalia MO. in late Oct.
Yeah, I've heard rumors about that. I hope that whoever is trying to get it going is in touch with Roger Fuller and the GRCA Board. Also, if they want to hold it in Sedalia, I hope that the landowner and the pro that trains on that property have already given the okay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A week ago because of necessary advance planning at the venue in Florida, the GRCA National Specialty was cancelled for the event scheduled in Florida for October 2020.
A group of people involved in golden field met last night and are trying to get an alternate event planned:
We are trying to find a way to preserve a field trial for Goldens only for 2020.
We still need to get details ironed out and there will be a need for support from a lot of people. I am in the process of letting potentially interested GRCA members and golden owners everywhere in the country know about these plans.
We will need their support and want them to petition the GRCA board to support this effort. We will need to have the board's approval to allow us ti use their AKC “slot” for the trial as well as some financial seed support. We will also need AKC approval for the changes. We are expecting to switch the date to late October and are still working on solidifying a site. Although we have not gotten approval from the owner, we are hoping to use grounds in MO so we can get helper support and draw equally from both sides of the country We are hoping to have a full field trial and a Master & Sr. Hunt test.
So please feel free to start a mail in campaign of support to the GRCA Board [email protected]
Also get you field friends to join in! Thanks
Lee
Lee Herskowitz
Semper Retrievers
Portland, OR
[email protected]et

* It kills us in the Mid Atlantic and NE. Fl was 13 hours from us ( we were going) and Sedalia is 16.5 from us. Next year is in Ohio? So the National won’t be back on the East Coast til 2023. *

Reactions: SRW

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah, I've heard rumors about that. I hope that whoever is trying to get it going is in touch with Roger Fuller and the GRCA Board. Also, if they want to hold it in Sedalia, I hope that the landowner and the pro that trains on that property have already given the okay.
If it's in Sedalia and includes an Open and Am I'd enter and help. Depending, of course, on how good the waterfowl hunting is here at that time.
I have mixed feelings about Golden only trials. It would be fun but it puts an asterisks buy a placement IMO.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Still gives you the points, you just need a All Breed win for a FC-AFC. If Im correct

Reactions: SRW

·
Registered
334 Posts
Still gives you the points, you just need a All Breed win for a FC-AFC. If Im correct
As I understand it, a maximum of 5 points from a Golden only trial count toward an FC/AFC.
Those are the 5 with an * IMO. Not knocking it but I'd be chasing 5 all breed points to eliminate the *.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Doesn't help for this year but next the 2021 in Ocala will dovetail with the Jacksonville Ret Club's FT.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Master National is in MN Sept 24 - Oct 4.
National Derby is in MT Oct 5-9
There are some conflicts to consider.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
That would be a delightful problem to have
YEAH RIGHT who would think their dog didn't earn those points if won at a golden field trial
Your dumb lab friends might think it...but that's why they have labs...they're too dumb to train a golden

Reactions: ArkansasGold

·
Registered
334 Posts
YEAH RIGHT who would think their dog didn't earn those points if won at a golden field trial
Your dumb lab friends might think it...but that's why they have labs...they're too dumb to train a golden
The points are earned however they do, in fact, come with an asterisks, as they should IMO. The AKC Retriever Field Trial Advisory Committee agrees.

·
Super Moderator
1,333 Posts
This must be a problem unique to your anecdotal experience. Over the years in the service dog area, I've seen many volunteer puppy raisers do an excellent job training labs, goldens, and lab-golden crosses. I've also not encountered one of the staff's professional trainers who couldn't train both a lab and a golden and the lab-golden crosses.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
GoldenDude -- you're in the field forum. Not service dogs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In general how are goldens different than labs in terms of training?
In my limited experience and what I hear from others, there is no difference. Goldens with the drive and talent needed to attain FC-AFC titles are much less common than labs of equal talent.
Some but certainly not all of the reason can be attributed to the owners and how they train. I have no proof but I feel confident in saying that no dog of any breed ever made FC or AFC due to treat trades or timeouts.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Lots of stuff going on in this thread!

As for the Specialty field trials ... FOR ME, I see them more a social event to get together with old field trial friends and an opportunity to meet new field trial friends. I enjoy the camaraderie more than running the trial. That said, I have, indeed, placed and earned points at a Specialty or two.
As for the level of competition, before the first series is underway, it's pretty easy to figure out which of entries will most likely be running the last series, that's because those dogs have already shown their talent and successfully competed against the other retriever breeds.
In my opinion, the rulebook is right ... (i) a certain number of the points should count toward a title but the dog should not get a title if it hasn't been successful in an all-breed trial and (ii) the win (and other points) should count toward qualifying for a National; however, to earn the coveted titles of FC and AFC, the dog should have to succeed against the other breeds.
As to the asterisk, a near analogy could be said for the dogs that earn points or the win against a field of 25 dogs vs. a field of 120 dogs, or a field that has only 1 or 2 titled dogs vs a field that has 40, so it's a bit of a slippery slope to say that one win isn't as worthy as another win. Understanding this, if it's September and I'm 1/2 point short of qualifying for the National Retriever Championship, I will be sending in my entries for the Specialty as well as keeping my eyes on the computer screen two weeks before any nearby trials to see if there's going to be a small Open.

As for training a Golden or a Lab, there's as much differentiation within each than there is between the breeds. One post suggested that the Golden owners/trainers are often the limiting factor in a dog's progress, I agree. One highly regarded trainer with multiple FCs told me, early in the career of my most successful Golden to date, to "train with the Lab folks to make sure your standards are high enough."

SRW, what's "timeout" training? Maybe it's something that I need to add to my training toolbox.

FTGoldens

1 - 20 of 40 Posts