Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At our city Vet's last night with little Cooper. I had baked Banana bread for the clinic but was going to deliver it tonight, but since I ran Coop in brought it with me.

My city Vet doesn't have a pretty office, though it is very clean. Not enough chairs and the clientel are not the most elite. They are just everyday people who love their fur kids, have little money for care, but doing the best they can. The equipment isn't the newest, but what you get there is her undivided attention and the best care she can give. She trys to Teach better care and is very much a part of Rescue in my town.

I gave the receptionist the Holiday bread and sat on the floor with Coop, (no room in the inn!) started talking to the people there and admiring their pets. Tried to make them laugh with Cooper stories and keep the time waiting fun. Coop's name was finally called and into the exam room we went. Weight, check over with the tech, discussion of what was up. He leaves, then the door opens, and there is my Vet. She has a HUGE slice of my Banana bread in her mouth, a Black Eye-Patch over her eye and BOXING GLOVES on! I was holding my sides laughing (she is usually a very Proper Quiet Lady). She said when she heard I was there she wanted to be prepared for the Battle! (We have had some really colorful battles over the years with my rare Biewer breed). Just made my afternoon, good caring people, and a moment to laugh.

I started going there in 1982 when we moved here so 29 yrs. My sweet Vet works horrible hours and must squash in so many animals during her day. She works hard to stop and "talk" to each owner and give them the best care she can. The associate Vet is handicapped (back hunched) and has terrible arthritis, much worse as he ages. He cares for the Kitty cats now and is so smart and kind. So sad his body is failing him, but he never complaines, stands all day long is wonderful in his care of the cats that come in and always greets you with a smile. He never lets on to the constant pain he is in.

To all the Vets here and across the land I want to wish each a very Happy New Years, may God Bless you for all you do. It is a job not many could handle but for the ones of you that do, you are special, special people. Our pets benefit from your learned care, tender touch and your love for animals shine through.

I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for us all but especially our wonderful Neighborhood Vets. We couldn't care for our kids without your love and guidance.

Thank you just is not enough.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Deber

Deber

I am grateful you wrote this about our wonderful vets, because we have one, too, Arboretum View Animal Hospital in Downers Grove, IL. Ken and I are very grateful to them for caring for Snobear, Smooch, Tucker and Tonka.
We are so THANKFUL for the loving care they give to our babies!!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
BRAVO!!! I,too, take this opportunity to thank our wonderful vet who puts his patients at the top of his list. His knowledge, common sense, and love of the animals is extraordinary. And his reasonable charges are so helpful too! I found him when we adopted Cody, as he is the vet ESRA uses.

And it can't go without saying how fortunate all of us GRF'ers are to have some very special vets who are right here. Thank you both so very much!!!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agree 100% Betty, the Vets here are a Godsend and always there when it seems we need them the most. Thank you, Thank you our GRF Vets and fellow golden owners, we never tell you enough what it means to us for your insite and help. Would be lost without you.

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
This is a wonderful thread and a great way to end the year by being thankful to the ones that help us keep our furry family members happy and healthy!

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,624 Posts
Great story! We love our vet too. I could picture her doing the same thing. Thanks for sharing. Love our vets!!!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
fantastic post, thank you. My vet is very, very special too. He's coming out here on Monday, his day off (clinic is closed for the holiday), to help me say goodbye to Toby. Not many would. He's been my vet and a special friend for over 20 years.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
What a great thread!

After leaving two really lousy vets over the past couple months, I'm so SO grateful for the ones we finally found. Everyone we've met there so far - the vets, the techs, the receptionists - are all absolutely wonderful.

The place is so huge (they have sixteen vets on staff) that I was afraid we'd feel like a number. I was afraid that they may be really good, but that they simply wouldn't be able to really know your dog or form any kind of relationship with us. I was blown away to find out that's not the case. The techs already recognize Riley and always come up to say hello. A tech that we'd never met came up to us after Riley's ultrasound and asked, "He was here for an ultrasound, right?" We told her he was and she went on to ask if everything was okay, if they found anything, etc. They're just wonderful people. How they can operate such a large practice and make it feel so personal is beyond me!

And the two vets we've seen so far are just the best. They actually listen, explain things to us and even ask if we have any questions! (That's definitely something new to us.) They did more for Riley in two weeks than the other vets did in a couple months. I don't think we'll ever be able to thank them enough.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Also, vets are not as well paid as some might think. Eight years of college with loads of debt upon graduation, starting salaries in the 65k range on average. Somewhat old data in the link below, but probably not far off. Most are in the field for the love of animals, not money.

Veterinarian Earnings

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so blessed! Not only is our dog's veterinary clinic a short walk away (less than a mile), they are also there for me whenever we've needed them. The clinic we patronize is a large clinic, with state of the art equipment and services, they have a full contingent of veterinarians who allow the clinic to stay open 7 days a week, about 20 hours per day. On top of that, the veterinary support staff--nurses, techs, receptionists, groomers are all wonderful and go to extreme measures to help us in those emergency situations that always pop up at the most inconvenient times (weekends, early mornings, late nights). They built the facility in our neighborhood in 1995 and we've been clients since then. They've been with us in the good times, and held our hands and cried with us during the not so good times, such as when we get a cancer diagnosis or the time has come for sending a dog to the Rainbow Bridge. I've never had to wait long during an emergency situation. For example, when Barkley collapsed on our early morning walk in Jan. 2010, I called the clinic, keys in hand, dog in car to tell them we were on our way, at 7 a.m. Staff met us in the parking lot two minutes later, and we were seen by the veterinarian by 7:15. The news wasn't good and when the time came to decide on what to do with a hemangiosarcoma diagnosis, three veterinarians counseled us, calling us at home, to answer our questions and help us decide the next steps. When we took Barkley in for his final journey, the owner of the clinic came in to sit with us while preparations were being made, trying to comfort us.

They also run a pet orphanage and take in numerous animals for the City of Dallas, so they won't be euthanized at the city shelter. I cannot count the number of times I've seen Animal Control pull into the parking lot bringing dogs and cats, giving them a second chance. Dallas Police do the same thing with dogs that might not make it out of the shelter.

The veterinarians also educate the community through in-house seminars and television appearances.

I try to tell them how much I appreciate them, especially those who work in support positions at the front desk. They see people at times when they are not their best yet they maintain professionalism and dignity.

Kudos also to our forum veterinarians!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I'm happy to join in thanking my vet for all of his care, concern and research in taking care of my dogs. He will, and has, gotten out of bed and met me at his clinic in the middle of the night for my angel Cody. He adored that dog and never wanted me to incur emergency vet prices if he could fix the problem (and no, I didn't call him in the middle of the night except twice in our 20 year friendship). To the GRF vets and all vets who truly have veterinary medicine as a calling, thank you very much for your expertise and care.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts