Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 month old goden retriever. We noticed that he was very bloated yesterday on his walk. We took him to the emergency vet. He had a lot of fluid in his abdomen. The fluid was clear. They did an ultra sound and think his heart is okay. He also has bruising around his neck and marks that indicate that his blood isn't clotting. He is at the vet today getting blood tests and IV fluids while they watch him for the day.

It looks like the cause of the fluid is low protein, either from protein being lost through something like the urinary track or from not being produced from the liver.

So yeah we are waiting on those blood tests results now. It's got me pretty messed up. Me and my fiance' really love our dog and he is a huge part of our lives. It's horrible to see him so sick.

Here are a list of his symptoms:
- Going off of his dry food 3 weeks ago (would still eat human food)
- Spent 5 days trying to get him to eat his dry food, he only ate half a bowl over those 5 days.
- Gave in and fed him dog sausage over the last week (he had a huge appetite).
- He has had diarrea and vomitting over the last week (thought this was due to the new diet).
- He has been very lethargic and sleeping a heck of a lot over the last few weeks as well, but we thought this was due to the hot weather.
- I did find a dead cane toad (bufo toad) in a bucket of water in the back yard that looked like it had been there for 3 days. He may have drunk some of that water. I was thinking that this may have caused toxicity and has caused the liver problems. However it appears that the poison from the toads usually causes convulsions and such not acites (the fluid build up in his abdomen). However the vet said she is not totally sure about what drinking the dead toad water might do.

The vet said the ascites could be caused by liver failure due to toxins or hookworm, or the worst possibility is a congenital defect.

We got him from an apparantly really good breeder to avoid congenital defects and paid lots of money for him. But the vet said even the good breeders can have dogs with these sorts of problems.

At this stage he is still happy go lucky and greeting people a lot. It's just really sad seeing him so sick and worrying that he might die from this.

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I have no advice, but I'm really sorry your pup is so sick. I hope the tests give you some answers soon and that it is something treatable. Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Butters is so beautiful. I hoe your vet finds out what,s up and can treat Butters for it. I'll include you and Butters in my prayers.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I just wanted to say that I hope your boy gets better and it is nothing serious! He is a beautiful pup! What a great name... Butters!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I will keep your sweet boy in my prayers. It could be from the Cane Toad those things are very toxic. I pray that it isnt and something that he can be treated with. This forum can be very powerful in the prayers. He is such a handsome fellow.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Butters is a good looking boy!! I hope your vet will find what is wrong and treat your boy so he can come home to you. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers that he gets better real soon!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear your Butters is sick. I'll be praying for him! He's absolutely beautiful, by the way. Such a pretty face!

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Sending healing thoughts and prayers for your sweet puppy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's bad news.

Liver seems okay, but looks like he is losing blood and protein in his digenstional track. So that could be from a hookworm or an ulcer.

Vet said he is a very sick dog.

He also has an infection.

They are keeping him there overnight, still waiting for a stool sample to check for parasites. Will be going in for an ultrasound tomorrow to check for ulcers or whatever it is that is causing him to lose so much blood and protein.

Bill so far is $1000. Staying overnight with the antibiotics is another $400. Ultrasound tomorrow is another $400. May be a few more days at the vet so that's $400 a day. And then surgery on an ulcer will be a few thousand.

Luckily we have $7000 saved, was part of our deposit for a house we just made an offer on... so it looks like all that money will be going to our dog instead.

If the ulcer is too big he will probably die. My thoughts are that all these symptoms and severe malnutrition would not be caused by a small ulcer.

So yeah that's where things are. I'm in tears over it and my fiance' is at work and is yet to get the msg I sent her about the bad news. So she is going to be in tears when she gets home.

This is a horrible day. He is such a lovely dog, playful, attacks your ears with licks. And now I have to deal with maybe losing him at only 11 months old.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
It cant be. Stay positive, believe in a miracle. You have to be strong for your boy, don't give up. I am praying for your boy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really appreciate the prayers and the love and support that you are all sending our way.

I hope it is just hookworm or something. But we keep up to date with his deworming tablets so I don't really think that is it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm still praying for you guys! Remember to try and keep your chin up and stay optimistic.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sending your beautiful boy many healing thoughts and strength to you all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hookworm seems unlikely to be the sole cause of the issue according to the vets because of the extreme reaction he is having. So it really looks like the issue is ulcers. They have him on meds to treat the ulcers. Apparently he is really lethargic. And we don't get to see him until maybe tomorrow. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm sending prayers your way, I just won't believe that Butters won't get better. You are in my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 334 Posts