Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very nervous because my 12 year old is having a surgery tomorrow to have a huge fatty tumor removed from her chest, right below her neck. It's about the size of a small grapefruit, so it has to come off. We'll probably also remove an small apple sized one from her side while we're at it.
The problem is she has a terrible time with anesthesia. She comes out of it in a panic attack, and stays that way, thrashing and screaming, for close to an hour.
I have to stay and literally hold her down when she comes out. My vet has given her a variety of things to calm her afterward, but she seems to have problems with all of them.
So I'm very very worried about her tomorrow. Please keep her in your thoughts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
oh i feel sorry for your girl...she will be in my thoughts and prayers...please do keep us posted tomorrow....please give her a BIG ((((((((HUG))))))))) from me and dulce mia....

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
She and you will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers, I know how worrying it is to have surgery on an older girl I hope all goes well.

·
16,000 Posts
I'm very nervous because my 12 year old is having a surgery tomorrow to have a huge fatty tumor removed from her chest, right below her neck. It's about the size of a small grapefruit, so it has to come off. We'll probably also remove an small apple sized one from her side while we're at it.
The problem is she has a terrible time with anesthesia. She comes out of it in a panic attack, and stays that way, thrashing and screaming, for close to an hour.
I have to stay and literally hold her down when she comes out. My vet has given her a variety of things to calm her afterward, but she seems to have problems with all of them.
So I'm very very worried about her tomorrow. Please keep her in your thoughts.
She is definately in my prayers. I had a dog like this - my Ch Nitelite's High Top Tennis CD. We had a large fatty cyst removed from exactly the same place when he was ten, and I feel that he was never the same afterwards. It has made me think twice about ever having to put an older dog under. It is always a risk. Please let us know how she fares. We'll be thinking of you both.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone for the good thoughts.
Laura, I really didn't want to do this and I've been stressing back and forth about whether or not to have it done. Unfortunately, at this point it is starting to put pressure on her trachea and her esophagus, so I am running out of time to do something about it. My vet says she's not getting any younger, and it's ultimately going to have to be done, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'm very worried, however.

She is definately in my prayers. I had a dog like this - my Ch Nitelite's High Top Tennis CD. We had a large fatty cyst removed from exactly the same place when he was ten, and I feel that he was never the same afterwards. It has made me think twice about ever having to put an older dog under. It is always a risk. Please let us know how she fares. We'll be thinking of you both.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Thoughs and prayers and will be thinking of you i know in England they do a special anesthic for older dogs they used it on my Meg she was 10 when she had major operation and she came out with flying colours.
Let us know how it goes it must be very worrying for you.

·
16,000 Posts
Thanks, everyone for the good thoughts.
Laura, I really didn't want to do this and I've been stressing back and forth about whether or not to have it done. Unfortunately, at this point it is starting to put pressure on her trachea and her esophagus, so I am running out of time to do something about it. My vet says she's not getting any younger, and it's ultimately going to have to be done, so I'm going to go ahead and do it. I'm very worried, however.

I completely understand, as your situation mirrors ours with Mikey. On the other hand, we've had even older dogs - both of our breeding and dogs that we saw in the clinic, do just wonderfully and having surgery made their lives better and even perhaps extended them. I pray ths is the case with your girl. The veterans are so special, and as dear to my heart as can be.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Many thoughts and prayers for both of you. Hang tough sweet girl and be well.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I will certainly be praying for your girl.. that all will be well and go as smoothly as possible with no bad effects.. and for you.. to give you peace in knowing you are doing what is best at this time for your baby. I know it is a tremendous worry. We went through a similar event with our Buckwheat.. Thank God the huge tumor was just fat.
Big {{{ HUGS }}}

·
Premium Member
18,156 Posts
Has your vet ever mentioned different types of anesthesia for surgery? I know someone whose dog did much better on one type than another, but I don't know what it's called. It is something that is used for older dogs that doesn't put them under as deeply and they come out of it faster.

I hope she does very well with this surgery.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am praying for your sweet pup tomorrow! I worry about Selka's fatty tumors as they get bigger too! Let us know how it goes!

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
Healing thoughts and rooooos coming your way from the whole pack. Thank You for being there for her during this time of confusion.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Oh I will be thinking about you all day! Prayers and hugs to you both that all goes well.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I will be saying a big prayer for her tomorrow. And my golden oldie Beau will keep his paws crossed for her too.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Good thoughts for your sweet senior girl - what is her name? I hope things go well.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts