Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my husband was the one who found out about this and asked if it might be something I'd like for Christmas. What I heard was that it was a device that will track your dog and alert you the minute the leave your yard.

Sounded good....

Then I posted on here about it and someone brought up the question of the transmitter that your dog wears constantly -- is it similar to a cell phone - what type of radiation is emitted? Is it dangerous, especially to a small dog (Teddy is just 10 lbs) or to a dog that is already prone to cancer (Duffy, the golden)?

So I brought this up to my husband and he flew off the handle saying that I was just trying to find a reason why I didn't like it. Actually, I was just trying to investigate into it more thoroughly and make sure it wasn't something that would be dangerous to my dogs.

Then I read that the device is not for dogs under 10 lbs. Teddy is just at 10 lbs. I wondered if it would be too heavy and uncomfortable for him.

When we got the device, it said it would take under two hours to charge. We had duffy's on the charger overnight and it was still flashing (indicating not fully charged yet). To me, it sounded like that might be a defect.

customer service said to just use it, as is, and let it drain all the way down to nothing and then try charging it again. Um....if my dog is wearing a device that is supposed to track him, wouldn't I want it to be fully charged so as not to run out of power, say, on the day he manages to escape?

Then I learned that there is a 100 foot radius that is considered the safe zone. The device does not actually alert you when your dog crosses your fence, but not until it is outside that 100 foot zone surrounding your home.

The final thing was that it doesn't text you or email you the minute your dog leaves. It texts you within 7 minutes. In 7 minutes, my dogs could have already been hit by a car on the busy street three houses down.

But, again....the ability to track them and let your know their location with an update every three minutes is priceless -- my dogs have gotten out maybe four times and each time I was in a panic not knowing WHICH way to start searching. It was pure luck that I found them.

So I've been wrestling with the negative issues -- the radiation, the heaviness of the tracker on the small dog, the large radius that is considered the safe zone, the delay in alerting, the possible defective charger/tracker base.

The problem is that I can't even talk about the pros/cons with my husband because he takes it personally. When he told me about how the customer service rep said to let it drain down and then charge it again and I gently brought up if he thought the unit might be defective, he blew up and said I'm just trying to find a reason to return it and just send it back.

I'm really struggling with this and now my husband and I aren't speaking -- because of the stupid thing!

I wish it was a simple decision --- if anyone has any thoughts, please share! I'm not holdilng anyone responsible, but just wondering what you would do in my case.

The unit cost $200 and the monthly service to track two dogs is $9.

Thank you!
Kris

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Your husband needs to grow up, sorry if this sounds harsh.

You bring up some very interesting points, this device is worn around the neck and is on longer than anyone person talks on the cell phone. If this emits some kind of radiation similar to what cell phones do, then yes, this warrants more investigation.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your husband needs to grow up, sorry if this sounds harsh.

You bring up some very interesting points, this device is worn around the neck and is on longer than anyone person talks on the cell phone. If this emits some kind of radiation similar to what cell phones do, then yes, this warrants more investigation.
Thank you, I totally agree. I've been waiting 26 years for him to grow up.

I've been googling and googling and most of the info I come up with is too technical for me to make heads or tails of, regarding the radiation.

Kris

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm going to let my brother know about this system.

I understand your concerns, but my main concern would be to find my pet, if they escaped.

My brothers Collie jumped his fence two years ago, when someone let a firework off not too far away. He was micro chipped and had a collar on when he jumped the fence. My brother had called me to come and help them look for his collie.

Well, I found him about 1.5 miles away, five days after he jumped the fence.

Five days of driving around(three different cars), spending money on gas, time off work, making up flyers and placing ads, easily came to $600.00.

When I found him, he was running in front of some houses. I called out his name and he came right over. We later found out he had been in that same area for four days, because people were feeding him! I don't understand why the same people who were feeding him, did not look for a phone number on his tag.........?

If he would have had that GPS on him, we would have found him that same day. Well worth the money IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess the world is full of different people. My dog's life is worth way more than $600. He is priceless. The ability to keep your dog safe with gps is an awesome thought- but Im well aware this technology comes with a price. Do you honestly think your dog is immune to the effects of transmitting signals just as a cell phone would? i totally get that many people are unaware how cell phones work, how they have caused innocent users to develop fast growing malignant tumors in places they stored their cell phone such as their bra. It is important to educate all people. But first you must care. If your attitude is to brush off someones very valid concern in exchange for some cash and inconvenienced time spent, then maybe really you should not own a dog. Im really sorry but I am so tired of people treating animals as a commodity- something we own and have the right to inflict suffering upon. I'm a genuinely nice person, but I turn into a real beast when people don't treat animals as they deserve. It is our responsibility to educate ourselves on the things we do to our animals. barking collars, shock collars- really its 2017. Just dont get a dog. Try training your dog like you would train a child- hopefully with love and respect - with effort that will take time and cost money. But Jesus - If you really are put out by your dog getting out because you cant properly supervise him- (yes mine has gotten out as well- accidents happen- but Im not put out by having to find him) and you can openly dismiss the possibility- the likelihood that its dangerous to your animal to expose him to cancer simply because it saves you 600 and 6 days of your precious time- then please give your dog to someone who will love him as he deserves. Im sure these things have saved dogs lives - but in a few years if we all put our dogs on gps- well lets just say we wont have to worry about shelters anymore. And btw try watching your animal die from cancer, especially the young ones more apt to take off in the first place. I sure hope your willing to kick down the thousands and thousands of dollars the cancer treatment will cost- and then be ok with it when you learn its incurable. Animals feel, they care, they are worth more than $600 stupid dollars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for caring enough to ask these questions. i know its many years latter, but i hope you were able to make an educated decision
for your animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts