Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
kalkid
397 Posts
Sorry for your loss. The pain will ease with time but the love and good times you shared will last forever in your heart.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
When I had to say goodbye to my beautiful 13 year old "Denver" I cried like I had never cried before...I still cry when I read the card and letter from the vet, and it has been ten years.
someone sent me this and I thought you might enjoy it...

What is dying?
A ship sails and I stand watching till she fades on the horizon, and someone says, "she is gone".
Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all; she is just as large as when I saw her...
The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not in her, and just at the moment when someone says "she is gone", there are others who are watching her coming, and other voices take up a glad shout, "there she comes!"...
and that is dying.

Bishop Brent
What an incredible quote and I am so pleased you shared it with us. Sophie and I have been very sad but I have gotten to a place where I at least recognize what a beautiful death she had. Interestingly, Sophie has changed in the past few days into a seemingly more adult and more mature dog. I am not sure how else to describe that but it just seems that she has grown up a bit. SHe was always my "monkey". Charlotte was very regal, ate softly, nudged your hand if she wanted to be petted....Sophie is very loud in all ways....she is more quiet now but more expressive seemingly!!!
Very interesting...and yes, she has helped me more than I could ever have imagined.
Thank you for all your recommendations for books.....they all sound wonderful and I will need to start ordering!
Last night I realized that her life with me made me feel extraordinary...I still feel that way and find comfort in that.
I expect that all of you who have goldens have that very same feeling....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The picture of Charlotte in the first post is great. I'm sorry for your loss, and while there's nothing that can ease the pain, never stop taking pleasure from those 13 years of great memories. When it all comes down to it those 13 years are all any of us can hope for.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I am so sorry and offer my sincerest sympathy for the loss of Charlotte. It sounds like you are finding your way, I hope the support of the board and the fact that many of us have gone through this will help. Please try and do something special for yourself, a cup of tea, a hot bath and hugs from dear Sophie. She is taking care of you, I think.

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost your best friend, Charlotte. She was a beautiful girl and their time here with us never seems long enough. This may sound very strange but the first day we brought Maddie home at 9 wks old I hugged her so tight and cried with thoughts of how much I already loved her at that moment and the realization that one day I would have to say goodbye to her. I hope Sophie and your many fond memories of Charlotte help you through this most difficult time. My deepest condolences.
Christine

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
What wonderful supports all of you have been to me...what comfort I have received from all of your postings. I sometimes have wondered about my dedication and love to these dogs. "does everyone feel this way or just me?"
Thank you everyone for letting me know that this is a safe loving supportive place to come to...
She was my one true love.
I will post a few more photos of her today. TOday is my 4th day without her but I feel her next to me in spirit....I was very afraid I would not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Play Hard Sweet Charlotte~Godspeed

Steve, I cannot send a PM since I am such a new member but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate this gorgeous photo. Thank you so much for taking the time and finding the kindness in your heart to do this for me and Charlotte, not knowing us, but knowing how much love is in our home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It has been a tough month..one month from yesterday CharChar went to the bridge. I have been on an emotional roller coaster but was recognizing that I had become more peaceful in the past few days.
Today I brought my Sophie to play at a field where CHarlotte and she had played together for 5 years. The grass was very dry, yellow and clearly in need of some water. After I threw a tennis ball that was NOT retrieved (!!!!) by Sophie, I bent over to pick it up and noticed one daisy in perfect form popping up from the grass. How strange...just one daisy. I looked around to see more...nope , just this one.
Fresh and pretty. Hmmmmm I thought, this was a particular spot where my girl loved to roll on her back and get belly rubs from Momma. Interesting also since the day of her death, my yard was full of daisies and from that point on, I knew that daisies would remind me of her always. So there I was leaned over sobbing over this daisy, crying out for my Char. Just when I thought I had gotten it together....but about 20 minutes later I continued my tennis ball game with Sophie and realized how incredibly lucky I was to have had this love.....
Somehow I don't think any later anniversaries are going to be much easier...

·
Mom to 1 Human & 1 Dog
1,045 Posts
Anniversaries like this can be so hard. What an amazing story about the daisy you found. I truly believe that your Charlotte was sending you a sign from the Bridge. Hugs to you and your Sophie.

·
Mum to Custard
424 Posts
AmazonB:
That is absolutely beautiful! how special. I am confident your charlotte was sending it to you and daisies will now be your special thing.
for me it's butterflies.
Hugs to you
Sarah

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
AmazonB... I think you've been extraordinarily blessed. Char is touching you even now... that kind of love doesn't ever leave. She is interwoven into the fabric of your being, right down to your soul.

Hugs and Tears, Betty

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
I am so sorry that I have not responded to this thread until now. Somehow the way you have described your experience of losing your sweet girl reminds me so much of how I felt when I lost my first golden, Kody I had a hard time coming up with the right words. I too thought that I had prepared myself...knowing that the time was coming...but was overwelmed at just hust how unprepared I was for the grief that I would experience afterwards. I cried through many books and shared pictures and stories of my boy with those who I knew, understood. This helped me to heal. Your story of the lone daisy is beautiful and I do believe it was your sweet Charlotte letting you know that she is always by your side. I had similar experiences (butterfies for one) and found great comfort and honor in being given these gifts. The anniversaries are surely difficult and the first year especially because of all the "first times without..." Know that in time, the pain will ease and take comfort in knowing that you were the lucky one....to have been chosen to recieve the incredible gifts that these special dogs can give. It's like having a wonderful secret and you have been so blessed to discover it!

Godspeed sweet angel Charlotte...go find my angel Kody and have a good, cool roll in the grass with him...he loved that too.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss :(
((((((((((hugs))))))))))

It's so very hard to say goodbye :*( We miss them something fierce. It's been 3 yrs for me since Gemma went to the bridge, and I still breakdown :(
My heart goes out to you.

RIP Dear Sweet Charlotte, play hard at the Bridge.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts