Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone willing to double check my long list of breeders to make sure I didn’t add one in that shouldn’t be there? I’m hoping to do initial contacts this week . . . I’m still hopeful there’s a waiting list open for 2022. I didn’t want to put the list up till I know people will look at it :) thanks everyone. Anytime I have a door open we have to go for a car ride . . .
Dog Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m just gonna post the list and see what happens. This is in no particular order. If I’m missing a good breeder in New England Area near Southern Vermont that might have waiting lists for next year open please let me know.

My Hopeful List:

Vermont
1 Crangold Golden Retrievers
2 Butternut Hill
3 Kernow Goldens
4 Starvale Goldens
5 Goldensand Goldens

New York
6 MaryEllen Vanderbilt-Domblewski (she will require more research as know one knows her on here and she was word of mouth)
7 SouthStar Goldens
8 Amberglo Goldens
9 Hayes Happy Dog
10 Laurie Cafaro
11 Kathy McLaughlin-Wager
12 Chestnut Goldens

New Hampshire
13 Eastshore Goldens on Facebook
14 Sunkissed (I don’t think they are taking more inquiries at the moment)

Massachusetts
15 Beaugeste
16 Tangleloft Goldens

Connecticut
17 Finnvarrs legacy goldens
18 Overlook Goldens
19 Abalee Golden Retrievers (I don’t think she’s taking new names till maybe 2023)
20 My Way Golden Retrievers

New Jersey
21 Carol Russo

Maine
22 Goldiva Goldens
23 Poetic Gold
24 Kelore Kennels
25 Bowden’s (I don’t think they are taking new names)

Pennsylvania
26 Jacaranda Golden Retrievers Alyson Fuge
27 Golden Soul Dogs

Canada
28 George Weller, the Weller farm stanstead Canada

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
Bumping up again...

I have heard of several breeders on that list. Some are long time show breeders like Chestnut and Amberglo.

Jill (Poeticgold) is a member here, but if I'm not mistaken, she will not be breeding any litters any time soon. Hopefully someone else will chime in!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Meant to take a look at lunch time but forgot... will try to address some of these tomorrow if I can...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate that :) thanks all. I believe poeticgold said something about 2023 on their website.

·
Noreaster
2,195 Posts
Royal River Retrievers in Yarmouth, Maine isn’t currently taking names for the waitlist but probably will be in December for next year’s litters. She usually does two litters per year, IIRC. I would add them to your list!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I took some time at lunch to start looking at your list. I started with the ones I didn't recognize at all. I'm not finished, and I only took a quick look, but this is what I've found so far:

MaryEllen Vanderbilt-Domblewski: Couldn't find much information. From what I found I would probably take her off your list, but we'd need some actual AKC reg #s or names to say for sure.

SouthStar: Looks OK from a quick check

Amberglo: Not much info on her website. I couldn't find anything on OFA except for dogs that were likely too old to still be breeding. Looks like she may have been doing things right a decade ago, but would need current AKC reg info to check specific dogs to say one way or another. Are you sure she's still breeding?

Hayes Happy Dogs: NO. I'd take her off your list. She has two litters listed on her site right now and none of the parents have full clearances. In fact, it looks like she's choosing to breed dogs that have failed hips or elbows.

Laurie Cafaro: Found some promising information (found one dog with complete clearances, looks like she's active in her local breed clubs. etc.) But we would need info on the specific parents (AKC #s) so we could check clearances.

Kathy McLaughlin-Wager: Looks promising. She's the breeder referral person for the local breed club and had a dog that went to Westminster. We'd still need to check OFA clearances on specific dogs (I found one dog that had a higher than average coefficient of inbreeding - May not be a big deal depending on the dogs in the pedigree, but I personally like to see a COI below the breed average. Others may disagree.).

Chestnut Goldens: Looks good. Dogs I checked had all appropriate clearances.

George Weller: Hard pass. Looks like a high-volume back yard breeder. No real clearances. Pictures look like the dogs are poorly bred and live in a barn. Nothing to recommend him. I'd take him completely off your list.

Others I know of the top of my head should be OK:
Abalee
My Way
Goldiva
Poetic Gold
Butternut
Eastshore (though I think they've decided to stop breeding after recently losing a bitch due to birth complications)
BeauGeste
Tangleloft

Hopefully someone else can jump in and check some of the others I haven't gotten to. Otherwise... it may be awhile before I can get back to the rest of them.

Just out of curiosity... Did you ever look at the list I provided in post #13 of this thread? Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did take a look at that list I think that’s how I ended up with most of the ones on the list I had. Should I assume if they are on that list they are good and I shouldn’t worry too much about them? I didn’t google all of them though so maybe I should see how far the rest of them are from me? Was that the only list to go by or did the other person have another list as well? I never I asked them to private message me the list. Thank you for looking into some of these breeders. I really appreciate your help on all of this. I know it’s tricky because I don’t have registered names. I’m thinking I would get that after the initial contact and before being put on a waiting list? I’m not quite sure how it works. I’d hate to get on a list and find out I didn’t end up with a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The New England breeders on Lisa’s list quoted on the linked thread look good to me as far as I know.. you should always double check the site and dam’s clearances once you have that information however.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took some time at lunch to start looking at your list. I started with the ones I didn't recognize at all. I'm not finished, and I only took a quick look, but this is what I've found so far:

MaryEllen Vanderbilt-Domblewski: Couldn't find much information. From what I found I would probably take her off your list, but we'd need some actual AKC reg #s or names to say for sure.

SouthStar: Looks OK from a quick check

Amberglo: Not much info on her website. I couldn't find anything on OFA except for dogs that were likely too old to still be breeding. Looks like she may have been doing things right a decade ago, but would need current AKC reg info to check specific dogs to say one way or another. Are you sure she's still breeding?

Hayes Happy Dogs: NO. I'd take her off your list. She has two litters listed on her site right now and none of the parents have full clearances. In fact, it looks like she's choosing to breed dogs that have failed hips or elbows.

Laurie Cafaro: Found some promising information (found one dog with complete clearances, looks like she's active in her local breed clubs. etc.) But we would need info on the specific parents (AKC #s) so we could check clearances.

Kathy McLaughlin-Wager: Looks promising. She's the breeder referral person for the local breed club and had a dog that went to Westminster. We'd still need to check OFA clearances on specific dogs (I found one dog that had a higher than average coefficient of inbreeding - May not be a big deal depending on the dogs in the pedigree, but I personally like to see a COI below the breed average. Others may disagree.).

Chestnut Goldens: Looks good. Dogs I checked had all appropriate clearances.

George Weller: Hard pass. Looks like a high-volume back yard breeder. No real clearances. Pictures look like the dogs are poorly bred and live in a barn. Nothing to recommend him. I'd take him completely off your list.

Others I know of the top of my head should be OK:
Abalee
My Way
Goldiva
Poetic Gold
Butternut
Eastshore (though I think they've decided to stop breeding after recently losing a bitch due to birth complications)
BeauGeste
Tangleloft

Hopefully someone else can jump in and check some of the others I haven't gotten to. Otherwise... it may be awhile before I can get back to the rest of them.

Just out of curiosity... Did you ever look at the list I provided in post #13 of this thread? Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]
I just remembered that Hayes came from one of the golden retriever clubs puppy referral person I reached out to . . . Are they not as up to date on breeders?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I just remembered that Hayes came from one of the golden retriever clubs puppy referral person I reached out to . . . Are they not as up to date on breeders?
I can’t tell you for sure how any given club runs it’s breeder referral. It possible they don’t independently verify clearances on each litter a member tells them about. What I can tell you is that the breeder created “test breeding” links in K9data for the two litters she had in July and this is what I’m seeing:

Sire #1: failed elbows and his sire failed hips
Dam #1: All clearances

Sire #2: Failed elbows
Dam #2: Failed hips

i didn’t include links to the test breedings or the OFA pages because I’m not sure it’s allowed, but any of our experienced members should be able to pull the info from the breeder’s website and confirm (or contradict) what I’m seeing.

I did take a look at that list I think that’s how I ended up with most of the ones on the list I had. Should I assume if they are on that list they are good and I shouldn’t worry too much about them?
It‘s been awhile since I created that list, and as far as I know that will be the most comprehensive list you’ll find on this forum. There are definitely other reputable breeders in New England who are not on that list (They might not have a website or I might not have found them or they might have had, or not had, some quality that was important to me but which does not make them any less “reputable”). At the time I had taken at least a cursory look and decided to keep those breeders on my list. BUT, you should never assume that just because a breeder has always or mostly done things right that they will continue to do so. You should also not take anyone’s word/opinion on a breeder as the be all and end all in determining if a breeder is reputable or not. You should ALWAYS check the clearances on the specific dam and sire of a litter before deciding whether you want to put down a deposit.

I’m thinking I would get that after the initial contact and before being put on a waiting list? I’m not quite sure how it works. I’d hate to get on a list and find out I didn’t end up with a reputable breeder.
There’s quite a few threads on the forum re how to “work” the process of contacting a breeder and deciding whether or not to put down a deposit. Every breeder does things a bit differently. If you haven’t already I’d make sure you’ve gone through all the resources we already linked for you in your other thread, especially this one, which should answer many of your questions:Posts - The Canine Chasm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate that. I am going through that list now I think a few of them don’t breed anymore. And I know until I know the clearances that I should use caution. I’ll have to go back to that blog and see if I missed a post. I know I read 4 ish on there so I probably did miss something. I really appreciate all your help. I think this forum is about the only thing keeping me sane. I know one breeder my husband liked was Tillys puppies which after I learned on here they don’t have clearances on one dog made me question how many red flags does it take to cross a breeder off the list. I know we’re all human so we do make mistakes could that one be a simple error of not updating something? Or should I use one red flag and your out thought process?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Checked a few more for you at lunch today:

Crangold, Sunkissed, and Kernow look OK

Starvale I think will probably be OK BUT though they claim full clearances not all clearances are showing on OFA, so you'll want to ask about those. I'd feel better if someone with more knowledge than I have could also take a look. They put a LOT of working titles on their dogs, which is awesome, but if you pursue a puppy from them I'd be sure to ask about the energy level of their dogs (dogs bred for success in performance venues sometimes have more drive/energy than the average home can handle)

Goldensand: Also look like they'll likely be OK BUT the dogs on their website (which were the only ones I could check) were mostly too old to be current breeding dogs. You would need to get the AKC#s for the proposed dam and sire and check them out specifically to see if they have complete clearances.

Reactions: raindropps87
1 - 14 of 14 Posts