Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, We have a 12week old Golden retreiver (little Girl) Has her final shot in three days. Over the past week she has had an upset stomach. she had diorreah Last weekend I purchased Probiotics which seemed to clear it up. She also at this point had to urinate very frequently but the medicine seemed to clear this up aswell. Just last night she started with the diorreah again and still has it this morning but now has also started vomiting and wont eat her breakfast but still drinks waterand keeps it down. There has been no change in her diet, last week when she was sick she was still very happy with in herself but this morning she is very lathargic and not our happy little girl. Its a public holiday over here in Australia today and we live in the country and cant get hold off anyone. We do have a Male 7year old poodle who was left with her yesterday and we are just wondering if it could be anything he may have done that could upset her...? sick question I know but we are at a loss as to what keeps causing this.

Any info on how to settle her stomach until we can get her to the vet would
be great.

ATT24.jpg

·
3 goldens
11,789 Posts
Hello. I am sorry to hear about your little girl. I really do not know what to tell you, but I am glad you are getting her to the vet as soon as you can. Keep us posted.

·
Reyna 1997 to 2004
2,720 Posts
Hope your baby is feeling better by the time you read this. Be sure she has LOTS of water. Use a bland diet: hamburger and cooked rice are a good alternative. No seasonings!

Can you get the diarrhea medication Imodium in Australia? If so, you can give her one caplet to try to stop the diarrhea.

Has she been allowed close to other dogs' poop?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jude had this problem when he was about the same age. We went to the vet twice and they could not figure out what was wrong. He did not have worms. They put him on Hill's Prescription Diet i/d. (he only had the diarrea) He was on it for a few weeks and eventually it did clear up and he is fine now. But I had also heard that the plain hamburger and rice is good for upset stomach in dogs.

·
Old Guy
3,243 Posts
When a dog has diarrhea the usual course of action should be...

Give your dog activated charcoal (capsules can be purchased at the pharmacy before you have the emergency) and Peptobismol, Kaopectate, etc. In an emergency, just burn the hell out of some toast and scrape the burnt black stuff off and feed that to your dog. The charcoal or clay (depending upon what you are giving) will absorb and bind-up any toxins that your dog may have swallowed or that any bacteria in the gut might be producing... and the Pepto/Kao/etc will coat the stomach lining and intestines to prevent further absorption of toxins and prevent further irritation. Then do NOT feed anything solid for at least 24hours... this is to starve any 'bad news' organisms that might be living off of the contents in the gut and to allow the intestines to clear... allow just water and maybe some de-fatted broth. If things don't improve after a day then go for two days without solid food... however any puppy under 12 weeks of age I would take straight to the vet if no improvement is noted within 48hours. Once the diarrhea has ceased, begin by feeding something bland... meaning something low in fat... like some boiled chicken and plain boiled rice. This will soothe the stomach lining and prevent any irritations to the intestines from flaring up again. Feed several small meals instead of a huge one and then slowly increase the amount over the course of a couple of days. Finally you can begin to introduce kibble back into your dog's diet... this should be around day 4 or 5.

And if you do see a vet then please be sure to take along a sample of the diarrhea because a good vet should be able to diagnose quite a bit from it... such as if its due to an alkaloid (plant or root), bacteria, parasite, etc... if the problem is in the duodenum (upper GI), intestines, or colon... The vet can tell a lot by the smell, color, consistancy, foaminess, etc of the 'sample'.

·
Registered
360 Posts
your puppy is cute...I'm sorry to here that she is sick....samson was sick and I felt so bad for him...woke me and everyone else in the house up...to tell us he had to go to the bathroom...went to the bathroom and went straight back to sleep untail morning... I hope that she gets better soon....its not fun having a sick puppy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts