Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We lost our beautiful Sandy four days ago. She was 13 years old. She had what we thought was a stroke, but turned out it was vestibular syndrome. She could not stand up, her head was cocked to the side, flickering of her eyes. We made the decision to bring her to the vet, and it was one of the hardest things i have ever had to do. I was glad that i saw her right after she was gone, and was able to touch her and kiss her one last time.
My heart is absolutely broken. While she absolutely loved my husband and kids, and they loved her back, she was ultimately my dog, my constant companion, my best friend. Our relationship was extra special.
I have cried every single day, and one of the hardest things for me is not having my greeting when i get home from work, the absolute production it was, also the sounds of her paws on my floors, her snoring at night, the sound of her tail wacking the wall or the floor..i could go on and on about the things i miss about that beautiful, loveable creature.
i sure hope things get easier, because right now i'm a wreck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am so, so sorry for your loss. It is very hard to process all of the firsts: like walking in the house without her, as you have mentioned. It is so hard to let them go--we love them so. Just like you, I was also the mom who formed an amazing best friend relationship with my golden boy. The healing takes time. Thinking of and sharing your memories of Sandy will help. Please find this forum as a special place to share your feelings. It has helped me so much. You are in my thoughts...I understand your pain.

Kindest Regards. Patrice

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of Sandy. I know that your girl thanks you for placing her pain above that of your heart. It takes an amazing love, to put her peace above your own. The bond and love that you shared will last forever until you see her again. I hope that in time all of the memories of your life together will bring more smiles than pain. Godspeed dearest Sandy.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet Sandy. We lost Jake (11/10) & Lillie (1/11) and the absence of those simple sounds & the happy greetings everyday when I got home from work seemed to intensify the grief. I ended up taking on an extra job at work just so I wouldn't have to come home to an empty house. I understand, as do many here on the forum,the grief in your heart! So, so sorry.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. I share your pain. Even 8 months later I am still missing all those things. They say time heals almost everything. Give time, time.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
So Sorry for Your Loss

I'm thinking of you in these days after your loss of Sandy. Having lost our wonderful Sadie at 13, I know that after the first hardest weeks, you will have your wonderful memories of her. As the time passes, I hope your pain will ease, but I'm sure you won't forget her and the times you shared.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My heart just aches for you. This place is all too familiar. Time will make the pain less sharp and jagged, but I don't think it ever completely goes away... at least not for years.

American playwright Eugene O'Neill wrote this piece for his wife after the death of their beloved dog, Blemie: The Last Will and Testament of Silverdene Emblem O'Neill. Some favorite passages are these:
"I ask my Master and Mistress to remember me always, but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to them in time of sorrow, and a reason for added joy in their happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause them pain.

"One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: 'Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved.' No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail."

Wishing you peace,
Lucy

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,677 Posts
I'm so sorry for the passing of your Sandy. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Sandy will always be with you in spirit and forever in your heart.

You were blessed with 13 wonderful years with your girl, cherish the time and the memories.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Sandy's recent passing. Run free at the bridge, sweet girl.

You will find a lot of comfort here. Please share pictures and stories of her when you are able.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My angel

I also lost my baby, Duncan, on January 10. He was 14 last April and I had him since he was 8 weeks old. He was my only child and we were connected at the hip. I guess most people would say I went overboard with him. I preferred to be home with my baby rather than go on vacation for the last almost 15 years. I loved him with all my heart and am struggling right now to cope. I was fortunate to be able to take care of him when he lost his ability the last few months to get up from a lying position. He had a spinal problem and was on prednisone to help him walk (with assistance). I slept next to him on the floor and awoke Tuesday morning and he was gone. I live with my mother who is 98 and also has a terminal illness (end stage renal failure) She was on hospice over the last year and is now stable but deteriorating slowly. I am her sole caregiver which is why I was able to be home with my angel and spend every last minute with him. It is very empty here now. I can't imagine ever getting past this horrible feeling of emptiness. I know only dog lovers can understand this. I can only hope that I will be reunited with him someday.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I also lost my baby, Duncan, on January 10. He was 14 last April and I had him since he was 8 weeks old. He was my only child and we were connected at the hip. I guess most people would say I went overboard with him. I preferred to be home with my baby rather than go on vacation for the last almost 15 years. I loved him with all my heart and am struggling right now to cope. I was fortunate to be able to take care of him when he lost his ability the last few months to get up from a lying position. He had a spinal problem and was on prednisone to help him walk (with assistance). I slept next to him on the floor and awoke Tuesday morning and he was gone. I live with my mother who is 98 and also has a terminal illness (end stage renal failure) She was on hospice over the last year and is now stable but deteriorating slowly. I am her sole caregiver which is why I was able to be home with my angel and spend every last minute with him. It is very empty here now. I can't imagine ever getting past this horrible feeling of emptiness. I know only dog lovers can understand this. I can only hope that I will be reunited with him someday.
Mom of Duncan-I'm so very sorry for your loss. Can't imagine how difficult this is for you in being the sole caregiver for your Mom. Please start a thread in the Rainbow section that is just for Duncan. There are so many of us here that understand you pain and would love to hear more about your boy.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
So sorry for your loss of Sandy, it is so hard to have to let them go even though we know that we are doing the right thing.

I don't think it ever gets easier, but we do get a little better at coping, and one day we are able to remember them with a smile.

Run free Sandy and sleep softly

Reactions: Sandy's Momma

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family. I hope the happy memories will help you in the days ahead. This is the hardest gift we can give our dogs; the gift to move on without pain. Hugs to you, K

Reactions: Sandy's Momma

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet baby. We lost our dogs within one day of each other. I cry several times a day, I am a complete wreck, and i SO understand your pain and sense of loss. I don't like being at home right now, everything reminds me of her. I can barely look at my couch without seeing her on it. Coming home to an empty house, without my usual greeting, is one of the things that hurts the most.
I find this forum very helpful, and hopefully you do. It is nice to know that other people have loved their Goldens as much as I have, and they don't think I'm overdoing it or should be getting over it by now. It's going to be a very long time before this gets easier.
Take care and cherish the memories of your special friend.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Momofduncan: I am so sorry for your loss of Duncan. I think you and Sandy's momma have a lot in common right now with your losses a day apart. It is truly never forgotton, but the pain does ease with time. They stay in your heart forever!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sand'yMomma, I completely understand your pain. I went through it a couple of years ago. I doubt I could have made it through without the wonderful support that I got from fellow Golden lovers. All of us have felt that terrible loss and pain that comes with it.

Please keep hanging around and speak from the heart. We have all gone through it. The tears will always flow for our Golden's. We all shed a tear for all of our friends. I am serious about that too. When I read about your love for Sandy, I think of the love Caesar and I shared and the pain comes crashing bad so hard, but Caesar stays alive within me. That pain is worth it to know that his spirit is still with me.

Pat

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mom of Duncan and Sandy's Momma,

I am so sorry for your losses. I understand your pain and deep sense of loss you feel. We lost Buddy on Nov. 26th, and we are still grieving and missing him so. This forum has helped in that you can express your pain and hurt, and everyone understands. Please keep sharing your stories and what you are going through. We all benefit from this connection, and helps with the healing process. Thinking of both of you.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts