Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to start, I got Murphy from a backyard breeder (I didn't know any better), and now we are facebook friends. She sent me a message tonight about the last of the litter, Lulu (Murphy's twin). She got adopted by her new family 5 days ago. So, on my search for the woman who adopted her, I discovered that she is complaining about her having accidents and pooping like 7 times a day and that her DH is really mad about all her accidents. She's saying they might have to get rid of her. I might add she's 16 weeks old and the breeder said she was potty trained before they adopted her.

Here's my rant...first of all, PUPPIES POOP. Not necessarily 7 times a day, but sometimes Murphy poo's like 3 times a day. Plus, they completely switched her food without transitioning over, and she's in a completely new environment with people she doesn't know, and now the added stress that she can feel from them freaking out! Here's a thought, take her to the vet to find out why she is going so frequently, then give her a stinking chance! You might have to get rid of her??? Boy I hope they realize that babies poop too! Argh! I'm so freaking aggravated! That poor girl is already having a tough time trying to adjust, and they are just making it harder for her! She's a little older so she had a chance to get very used to her last home, just to throw her into new everything. Sorry this is so long, I'm just totally annoyed!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If I had based keeping Flip on his lack of accidents, he would definately be back at the breeders by now. I've never heard of a pup having so many accidents as he did. I took him to the vet twice to see if he had a medical problem. Actually, I think the reason I first signed up on this forum was to see what the heck was wrong with him. But sending him back never crossed my mind.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Geez, sounds to me that if they aren't capable of handling it maybe they shouldn't have a young puppy (although I think it bad that the breeder told them the puppy was potty trained).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geez, sounds to me that if they aren't capable of handling it maybe they shouldn't have a young puppy (although I think it bad that the breeder told them the puppy was potty trained).
The breeder told ME she was potty trained, I'm not sure if she told the new owners or not. But I would imagine at her age, she would be anyway other than the occasional accident. Murphy has been potty trained for over a month now (although I know every dog is different). My guess is she's potty trained but due to the environment and changes she is having lots of accidents.

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Hopefully the breeder will take the puppy back so the new owner doesn't have to "get rid" of her?

It would be just as bad if the breeder doesn't step in immediately, imo. If I read your op right, you're friends with the breeder on facebook. What are the breeder's plans?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully the breeder will take the puppy back so the new owner doesn't have to "get rid" of her?

It would be just as bad if the breeder doesn't step in immediately, imo. If I read your op right, you're friends with the breeder on facebook. What are the breeder's plans?
Yes, I'm sure she will take the pup back. I haven't asked her too much because if it's not what I want to hear I'm afraid I will spout off at the mouth.

·
Registered
345 Posts
They should definitely take her to the vet and see if there's something wrong before they jump off the handle. A friend of mine's dog had trouble when she was a puppy as well about going a lot. They took her to the vet and found out there was something wrong, can't remember what it was, but they put her on something and then she was fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts