Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old puppy has a cut on her tongue and is bleeding. We found a little pool of blood on the kitchen floor and it was by some glass. It looks like my brother's girlfriend broke a wine glass and didn't tell us or do a very good job cleaning it up. So she has a cut on her tongue. It is a small cut and the bleeding is not heavy. We don't have the money to take her to the emergency vet. My only fear is that she could have ingested a small amount. She generally is really good and doesn't eat things that aren't food. She usually chews stuff up and spits it out rather than swallowing stuff. So I think that it is unlikely she would have eaten glass, but I am a worrier when it comes to her. I assume that the things to look for would be bloody stool or vomit. Is that right? She is acting completely normal and playing.

·
16,000 Posts
I hit submit too quickly - years ago, my Michael was running with a stick and the end hit the ground, shoving the other end into his tongue and also cutting the roof of his mouth. It looked like a horrific suicide attempt - the tongue is very vascular, as is the rest of the mouth. A little salt helped to staunch the bleeding.

As for the possibility of her having ingested glass - feed her a couple of slices of bread... will coat any shards and help them to pass safely.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
You can call your emergency vet and ask them what you need to look for. They won't be able to tell you over the phone if anything is wrong or what might be wrong, but they can tell you what to look out for.

You seem to know her eating/chewing habits really well. I can't imagine she would part from her normal patterns with something like glass. She was probably just licking the wine from the glass and cut her tongue.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I'd give the kitchen floor a good vacuum just to be on the safe side too. Hope all is well with Maya.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hit submit too quickly - years ago, my Michael was running with a stick and the end hit the ground, shoving the other end into his tongue and also cutting the roof of his mouth. It looked like a horrific suicide attempt - the tongue is very vascular, as is the rest of the mouth. A little salt helped to staunch the bleeding.

As for the possibility of her having ingested glass - feed her a couple of slices of bread... will coat any shards and help them to pass safely.
Thank you so much for this advice. I really appreciate it. The bleeding has slowed quite a bit. It isn't coming out of her mouth at all now. I did give her some bread, so hopefully that will help with any shards of glass. I feel much less worried with this info. Thank you so much for your help!

·
16,000 Posts
Thank you so much for this advice. I really appreciate it. The bleeding has slowed quite a bit. It isn't coming out of her mouth at all now. I did give her some bread, so hopefully that will help with any shards of glass. I feel much less worried with this info. Thank you so much for your help!
I don't know what's worse - worrying about our children or worrying about our puppies....

:doh:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
That sounds like my brother chewing gum in a tree when he was little - he fell out of the tree and bit the tip of his tongue almost completely off. They were able to sew it back on, but there were blood stains on the picnic table for about a year!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts