Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Rather than crating him or leaving him loose while you try to sleep, have you considered using an X pen for him? You can set it up with a 'potty area' (newspaper or pee pads) at one end and a sleeping spot (open crate) at the other. Give him some kongs stuffed with his breakfast, lunch whatever, and give him some appropriate chew toys to entertain himself.I really don't think spending 20 hours a day in a crate is going to help with housetraining, it is just not a 'real life' situation for any dog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
He didn't specify a time. He just said keep him in his cage accept when it's potty time and if he goes outside, reward him with a walk, playtime, etc... Because he doesn't want to defacate where he sleeps he won't poo in his cage and that'll help me train him to go outside. Because he has no problem going inside, and everyone says I'm not allowed to scold him so if I can keep him from going on the carpet then I don't have to scold him. Idk, potty training is confusing. My dad always rubbed their nose in it, you guys have said that may train him to eat his stool, or maybe learn to track his own urine? Idk, everyone has different opinions and so far crating him is the only thing that has made any difference...

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
He didn't specify a time. He just said keep him in his cage accept when it's potty time and if he goes outside, reward him with a walk, playtime, etc... Because he doesn't want to defacate where he sleeps he won't poo in his cage and that'll help me train him to go outside. Because he has no problem going inside, and everyone says I'm not allowed to scold him so if I can keep him from going on the carpet then I don't have to scold him. Idk, potty training is confusing. My dad always rubbed their nose in it, you guys have said that may train him to eat his stool, or maybe learn to track his own urine? Idk, everyone has different opinions and so far crating him is the only thing that has made any difference...
Ok your vet was talking about crate training. But I honestly don't think he meant him to be in there 20 hours at a time.

I agree with Charliethree about the xpen set up. That would be better than locked up in a crate for that long. Maybe give it a try?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
How old is he. When my pup was eight weeks we took him out every 45 minutes. Walked to the back door, carried him down the steps to the grass and told him to get busy,,,get busy,,,,over and overy. By 12 weeks he walked to the back door himself. Its all in the repetition. He never had an accident in the crate and went six hours a night at first.
Have that "key" word and when he does "get" it,,,,,,he'll go on command.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Okay, im giving one final response to this because a lot of you are failing to understand. Anyone who says I can't take care of him, shut the hell up. I have been doing just fine. I don't NEED to crate him all day. I can full well let him run around in my living room that I have had baby gated off since day 1. The problem with that? When I'm trying to nap, he pees and when I wake up, I'm none the wiser. Because I can't find any pee unless it is completely fresh. So when I'm napping he's teaching himself to go potty inside, and his urine scent is all over the living room which doesn't help. He things puppy pads are chew toys and doesn't use them. Newspaper I'm sure he will just eat. The ex pen... Really don't have the space but I'm starting to think ill have to and just put my furniture in storage. Day care... The nearest puppy day care to where I live is a solid 2 hours away. I have very little family to come check on my puppy and all my friends work full time jobs just like I do. I'm not as wealthy as most of you are apparently. And apparently I'm cruel to my puppy whom I spend every waking moment with, except for the past 3-4 days because I was advised by my vet whom I know and trust and has taken my very sick puppy and made him healthy. This crating thing is only going on for two weeks or until he's potty trained, whichever comes first. If he doesn't learn it after 2 weeks I'm supposed to stop. He doesn't want my puppy to become anti social and neither do I. A lot of you are making gross accusations about my ability to take care of my puppy. You have completely twisted my words and ignored half of the facts I have presented to you and only looked at the negative. This is my first dog as an adult, but I'm doing just fine. I go to obedience class, I excerise him, I have paid large vet bills to make him healthy, and I have bought him high quality food, toys, crate, everything, and I make less than 30k a year for christs sake. I'm putting everything I have to make him into a healthy and happy dog so don't ever call me cruel. This puppy has, in less than a month, made me happier and more motivated. I'm 21 and work in a factory and I'm aiming to buy a house solely so I can have a yard for my pup to run in instead of me having him on a 14 foot leash in my apartments un-fenced yard. How can you call me cruel? And to whomever said that I'm getting a yard so I can "leave him outside all day while I sleep." Really? When did I ever say anything of the sort...

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I have contacts with an excellent dog professional in Ohio who would love to come to your house or recommend someone else to help you set up a schedule that works for you and your dog be it through a combination of schedule adjustments, x-pens, a kennel run, daycare or dogwalker.

I'm sorry if your vet recommended 20 hours in the crate - unfortunately not many vets are experienced in the area of behaviour. You can use this website to help you find a good vet if you want: Find a Veterinary Clinic - Veterinary Clinic Reviews and Ratings - VetRatingz.com

From a legal stand-point you should know that 20 hours in a crate for a dog is considered animal abuse in many states and provinces. In fact, much less is. Here in BC more than 12 hours within any 24hour period is considered inappropriate.

Please email me if you'd like to get in contact with someone who can help you in Ohio: [email protected].

Good luck and I hope you are finding some time to enjoy your puppy!

Edit to add (since I replied the same time as you): Your vet is not correct in recommending that much crating, even for a single day. Ian Dunbar's Puppy Book has a really helpful section on crating that might be useful.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure if this has been suggestled...but I sometimes fill a small water bottle with water....when there is unwanted behavior ..spray...more unwanted behavior..spray... A thinner spray works better. .. Say no along with the spray a few times. Then just the spray... It helps redirect with out using your voice over and over again... Just a thought! This might work with the barking...only if he has been exercised, and gone out for a potty break!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The OP is quite defensive. My twelve week old puppy is coming to this vet's office daily. My understanding is that the length of time a pup,should be in a crate/confined is one hour per month .... So a two month pup,can be left alone two hours.....At work, my 12 week pup, Gabby can easily go three hours. She has the opportunity to play at lunch and then comes home to play with relatives...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Running around the living room, the pup will eliminate willy nilly.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Get him on your schedule, which wont' be easy. Get room darkining shades and excercise him alot, feed him so he pees and poops around what you do it and when.
Good luck.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm actually having trouble piecing together the schedule the OP describes (like where folks are getting the 20 hour number), so I figured I'd just offer some general crate training advice based on what I can figure out.

Crate training for housebreaking is all about using the crate for when you can't watch the pup directly. However, as Sally's Mom said, you can't really expect a young pup to be in a crate much more than an hour per month he's been alive (i.e., 8 weeks=2 hours at a time), except at night when you're expecting him to sleep, where a pup can go 6-8 hours or 4+4 with a potty break in the middle if he's not able to hold it for 6.

When you're napping, the pup needs to be crated. The reason you can't housebreak him is that he's learning over and over that it's fine to poop and pee in the house. Housebreaking is all about interrupting a pup just as he tries to poop or pee and then carrying him outside and praising when he does it in the right spot. Once a pup is done eliminating, it's too late to interrupt him and too late to use it as housebreaking opportunity. Once he poops or pees inside and finishes, you've just taught him that it's OK to go there.

An X-pen can help make a compromise situation if you use puppy pads, but I've never done that personally.

In order to have the pup out of the crate more, you need to be able to devote your direct attention to him, particularly since this pup has had a confusing housebreaking experience where he's getting interrupted sometimes and peeing or pooping indoors successfully sometimes. You can't allow anymore successful accidents if you want to get him housebroken in a timely fashion.

This may mean using every waking minute and maybe cutting back on sleep a bit to give him exercise indoors and outdoors as well as watching him like a hawk when he's indoors so he does not eliminate without getting interrupted.

You can also do more acclimating him to the crate so he sees it as a safe, mellow place. Spend some time around it with the door open, tossing treats and soft toys in and letting him march in to get them and march right out again. Try napping on the floor right next to the crate if you can. Our dog Comet was a big yipper the first week or two of crate training, and after he was heavily exercised and seemed tired, I'd put him in the crate with the door open but block him in there with my body, and I'd either read a book or try to nap myself until he was asleep or at least calm.

Crate acclimation's not going to solve the problem if he's in the crate for more that a few hours a stretch or more than half his daytime hours. That's just too much to expect a pup to handle, even if you do lots of training to help him like the crate.

Good luck! I know some folks have been harsh on you, but it's because they love dogs and they worry about a pup who's spending more time than is healthy in the crate. C'mon back for more advice about crate training, crate acclimation, and housebreaking. Or, if you don't feel like posting anymore, there are a lot of threads on those topics you can read through.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I'm actually having trouble piecing together the schedule the OP describes (like where folks are getting the 20 hour number), so I figured I'd just offer some general crate training advice based on what I can figure out.

Crate training for housebreaking is all about using the crate for when you can't watch the pup directly. However, as Sally's Mom said, you can't really expect a young pup to be in a crate much more than an hour per month he's been alive (i.e., 8 weeks=2 hours at a time), except at night when you're expecting him to sleep, where a pup can go 6-8 hours or 4+4 with a potty break in the middle if he's not able to hold it for 6.

When you're napping, the pup needs to be crated. The reason you can't housebreak him is that he's learning over and over that it's fine to poop and pee in the house. Housebreaking is all about interrupting a pup just as he tries to poop or pee and then carrying him outside and praising when he does it in the right spot. Once a pup is done eliminating, it's too late to interrupt him and too late to use it as housebreaking opportunity. Once he poops or pees inside and finishes, you've just taught him that it's OK to go there.

An X-pen can help make a compromise situation if you use puppy pads, but I've never done that personally.

In order to have the pup out of the crate more, you need to be able to devote your direct attention to him, particularly since this pup has had a confusing housebreaking experience where he's getting interrupted sometimes and peeing or pooping indoors successfully sometimes. You can't allow anymore successful accidents if you want to get him housebroken in a timely fashion.

This may mean using every waking minute and maybe cutting back on sleep a bit to give him exercise indoors and outdoors as well as watching him like a hawk when he's indoors so he does not eliminate without getting interrupted.

You can also do more acclimating him to the crate so he sees it as a safe, mellow place. Spend some time around it with the door open, tossing treats and soft toys in and letting him march in to get them and march right out again. Try napping on the floor right next to the crate if you can. Our dog Comet was a big yipper the first week or two of crate training, and after he was heavily exercised and seemed tired, I'd put him in the crate with the door open but block him in there with my body, and I'd either read a book or try to nap myself until he was asleep or at least calm.

Crate acclimation's not going to solve the problem if he's in the crate for more that a few hours a stretch or more than half his daytime hours. That's just too much to expect a pup to handle, even if you do lots of training to help him like the crate.

Good luck! I know some folks have been harsh on you, but it's because they love dogs and they worry about a pup who's spending more time than is healthy in the crate. C'mon back for more advice about crate training, crate acclimation, and housebreaking. Or, if you don't feel like posting anymore, there are a lot of threads on those topics you can read through.
Great post! I haven't weighed in much here because I don't have anything constructive to say, but this is what I would have said!

Also, Brian - the number 20 is from one of the OP's posts. Someone asked him how long the puppy was in the crate and he gave that number. I'll find it for ya!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
There ya go! Not trying to be judgmental here, just pulling up the number because one member wasn't sure where it came from!
Thanks for the heads up. I missed it on the first go but saw it in others' posts. I get why people got upset and also why the OP would feel insulted, since he's obviously trying pretty hard to do right by his dog and was just following what he thought the vet was telling him to do.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Personal attacks are not acceptable on this Forum, regardless of the motivations. Please think twice about posts that are inflammatory or accusing.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.