Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and, it's not a Golden.

I hadn't picked a litter yet, but I was on a few approved lists and trying to figure out the best one for me. Honestly, there are so many wonderful Golden breeders and litters out there! While I was considering breeders and litters, someone tipped me off to a Lab breeder who had just bred her bitch. The bitch was exactly what I was looking for, but didn't know who the sire was.

Now, I had reached out to this breeder multiple times over the past couple of years and never received a reply. So, assumed she wasn't breeding or had more buyers than she knew what to do with, so wasn't getting back to me. I know a few people with her pups and reached out to them and they reached out to her to respond to me. And, she did.

It took awhile, but we connected, I got the sire's information and he is wonderful. I reached out to the sire's owner as well as the person who gives them obedience lessons as she is on my Facebook page. And, I decided! So, the only think left was to wait to see if there were enough puppies.

Nine born today. Six boys and three girls. All yellow. I was hoping for a girl, but a boy is great, too. They'll be raised, evaluated and placed using Avidog. Mom is a bred to standard MH22 with some lower level obedience titles. The breeder only does hunt tests, but will enter her dogs in obedience when the nationals are in her neck of the woods. So, this girl got her CD in three tried, all high 190s, no training. Nice girl, easy to live with, excellent temperament, with lots of talented siblings and offspring. The boy is GCH, MH, UDX Labrador, halfway to his OTCH. Already has all of his wins, just needs points. Gorgeous boy. Also easy to live with, excellent temperament.

I believe my next dog will be a Golden and for a bit, I was a little disappointed that I wasn't getting a Golden, to be honest! But I could not pass up this litter. The good news is that this new puppy will allow me some time to get to know some more Goldens, learn about the lines, etc. before my next puppy.

Meanwhile, anyone got a good boy dog name?

·
Registered
802 Posts
That is fantastic congrats! It’s funny I originally wanted a boy and ended up with a girl as I liked the litter and I was too far down the list for a boy, I believe in what is meant to be will be ?
If I got a boy I was going to call him Carraig (car-rig) which means ‘a rock’ in irish. Carrick being the English version
I also like Finley, benson, and Oakley.
Can’t wait to see your adventures!

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy! I've met some really nice Labs recently.

For boys, I love the name Grover. Someone mentioned Tango - love that, too. Homer is a good name for a Lab, too. But as usual, as soon as I am trying to think of names, I go blank, So that's all I have right now. I would try to think about what you want to do with your dog and go with names that will work with that (ie. my next dog will probably have an more outdoorsy name).

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Sounds like it's going to be a nice and (nice looking) pup. Congrats!

Yellow labs are my favorite lab... :)

About names - I think it probably depends on what you've named your other dogs, what the parents names are, what you can see yourself hollaring over the din at a trial (nothing that sounds like a cuss word, ie "Huck" is a cute dog's name until you are calling it).. or family throwing their weight around.... :D

I want to name our next pup "Bobby". But that's going to take some arm wrestling with my family since my oldest sister married a Bob....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts