Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night i was trying to brush his fur.. and suddenly i smell a horrible horrible scent... and its originating from his behind.
Is it anal sac glans secretion? Does this mean the sac needs emptying?
This morning he was ok.. and just now suddenly the smell came back.. and uughhhhh...
what should i do? clean it? empty it? he doesn't scoot, licking it or anything...
this never happened to me before so i'm puzzled :confused:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't try to clean or empty them yourself... I'd probably take him to the vet and see what they say.
I would call the vet tomorrow then... is this some sign of problems?

I was posting in a hurry before, I should've mentioned that the smell was first noticeable yesterday night when I tried to groom him, the subsided
This evening, the smell was noticeable again when he was mounting a pillow :doh: (he starts mounting lately too... is this normal for 11 weeks puppy?)
Just thought it might be related..

I read online that dogs who need their anal sac emptied would scoot or lick around the anal area, and he didn't do any of those.. and his stool has been firm as usual.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Have the vet or a groomer show you how

Once you learn how to empty the anal sacs, you can then do it easily yourself. My cocker spaniel who went to the bridge in 2008, would fill up her anal sacs pretty routinely. I would take care of it myself. You hold the tail out of the way with one hand and with the other take your thumb and index finger around the area just behind the anus and apply pressure as you come forward to the anus and you will see it squirt out. Gross I know, but have someone show you, either a vet or groomer. Good luck.

·
Jack's mama
38 Posts
Has he had any loose stool lately? When a dog has normal poop that is firm, that naturally empties the anal sacs, but if he has runny loose stool that will cause a build up of the anal fluid. This happened to our boy and the smell went away when shis stool firmed back up again. I wouldn't have them emptied manually unless the vet recommends it and then they can do it...very smelly! They can also excrete the anal fluid when they are scared, but that doesn't sound like the case with you. As for the mouthing...NORMAL! Just discourage with replacing what ever you don't want in his mouth with a toy and then praise him. I hope this helps.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I don't think it's cause for concern, but like I said, I wouldn't empty it until the vet checks it out. I've read somewhere that once you empty it once you'll have to keep emptying it... like it's harder for "nature" to empty it then.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I don't know much about this, but remember reading that if the stool is properly "firm" it will cause the sacs to empty with each movement so there isn't a problem. A diet which causes loose stools will then prevent the anal sacs from emptying.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Oh, and about the mounting. Yes, puppies this age often do this. But, you can train your pup not to (say, NO, when he starts doing it, and engage him in a more appropriated activity)

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Are you sure he isn't passing gas? Anal sacs scent doesn't usually go away like you describe.

both my guys will scent up a room without a sound while acting as innocent as a cherub.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I don't think it's cause for concern, but like I said, I wouldn't empty it until the vet checks it out. I've read somewhere that once you empty it once you'll have to keep emptying it... like it's harder for "nature" to empty it then.

I heard that too and always wondered if that was true. I remember my Aussie growing up had to have his glands expressed every time at his monthly grooming appointments. I have never had to do Sam's or Dillon's... they have really firm poops so I assume they empty themselves just fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has he had any loose stool lately? When a dog has normal poop that is firm, that naturally empties the anal sacs, but if he has runny loose stool that will cause a build up of the anal fluid. This happened to our boy and the smell went away when shis stool firmed back up again. I wouldn't have them emptied manually unless the vet recommends it and then they can do it...very smelly! They can also excrete the anal fluid when they are scared, but that doesn't sound like the case with you. As for the mouthing...NORMAL! Just discourage with replacing what ever you don't want in his mouth with a toy and then praise him. I hope this helps.
No, his stool is firm. Sometimes when we give him a new treat for his training, his stool could soften up a bit, but it's usually firm up again nicely by next pooping session.
I was thinking he probably get scared when I tried to brush him on saturday night? Cause it was the first time the scent is really strong, and I found out it was from his behind.
It was the first time I smell this, my previous dog never give out weird smell before.

I will call the vet today, and i haven't done anything to it except gently wipe his tail and the area with damp towel just so the smell could ease up a bit.
It is now not noticeable when I get close to him

Are you sure he isn't passing gas? Anal sacs scent doesn't usually go away like you describe.

both my guys will scent up a room without a sound while acting as innocent as a cherub.
When I was going to brush him on saturday, the smell was really overwhelming. you could probably smell it within 1-2 feet away from him. The next morning, I couldn't smell it until i was close to his behind area. Then sunday evening he was getting overexcited, running around and was mounting a pillow.. it was when the smell really noticeable again, and it was when I post this thread the first time.
We'll see what the vet say! I'll post the update.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When Maggie was young we had some trouble with her smelling bad. My vet told me that puppies, much like a human teenager with over active oil glands, sometimes have over active anal glands and that they usually out grow it. Maggie did out grow it,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Maggie was young we had some trouble with her smelling bad. My vet told me that puppies, much like a human teenager with over active oil glands, sometimes have over active anal glands and that they usually out grow it. Maggie did out grow it,
That is what actually my vet said when I called him.
He also suggesting to add a little fiber to his diet, or give them as a treat, but not too much.
Mssjnnfer also right, he said not to empty the anal glans manually unless it's really necessary, it's better to keep it "natural".
Thank you all for the inputs! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We were taking him for a short ride in the car tonight. When we got home, I was carrying him out from the car... his front paws resting on my shoulder and my wrist supporting his bottom. He was frightened to the sound of the garage door, and suddenly my wrist was damp... eau de derryl right there!! :yuck: Had to wash my hands several times before I was convinced the smell is gone :uhoh:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm glad you found out what the problem is, but ewwwwwww to the eau de derryl!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts