Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read that goldens are a sensitive breed. Not sure what that meant til today.

She is really starting to hate getting her nails cut. As a younger pup she was fine. So to not let her "win" in the struggle, I kept at it til I got at least one nail.

After the struggle I praised and gave a treat. Now she won't come to me! and she just sorta stares at me from afar. This happened the last time too.

It's kind of funny but it kinda is not at the same time! Is your golden "sensitive" too?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think I know what you mean - like most dogs they try to evade what they don't feel comfortable with; they get canny about avoiding things and become reluctant to come to you if they think you are going to do something they don't like - which is not something you want to happen.
Have you tried just playing about with her feet, not cutting her nails - just stroke and fondle her feet. Do it when she is sleepy and relaxed - asleep even. She needs to very gradually be introduced to the experience without any panic or restraint. She should then let you pick up her feet and play about with them without worrying. Show her the clippers and leave them lying around until she is happy about them. Try using a file on her nails first off as this usually easier and more easily accepted than clipping. Once she is happy about it you should eventually be able to use the clippers if you still need to.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Chester used to haaaate anything to do with his feet but will now happily let me do his feet in exchange for a good old bulls pizzle to chew on...nothing else in the world matters when thats in his mouth...have you tried something like that? I have found few dogs who dont love them...get one big enough that its going to last her long enough for you to do her nails. Play with her and then give her the pizzle and play with her paws and gently start clipping. Chesters in what I call a 'zone' where I can see practically nothing matters to him except chewing on this thing...thats when I snip away! If he starts to falter I use the 'leave' command quite firmly and hes straight back to his pizzle...is she good with her 'leave' yet?
If shes too stressed out by you doing it then you may just have to have someone else do it like a groomer or vet who she will probabley be fine with..pups eh!

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
This was a very good video of training a dog to allow you to clip his nails, be patient through the explanation narrative at the beginning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts