Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi golden family!

I'm Chloe and I live in Los Angeles. I currently own a puppy mill dog. Let me back track a little and tell you how I got here!

My husband and I were looking to adopt a dog. Now seemed like a good time to do it, since our 8 month son was just starting zoom around crawling, but not yet running. We thought that, with a new addition, it would be more respectful assimilating our pup if our kid wasn't chasing him and pulling his tail, etc.

We began our search for a rescue with a few main requirements: Medium or Large size, good with kids, good with cats, calm. Age didn't matter, breed didn't matter, but the dog itself mattered. It was harder than I thought it was going to be. Not only were rescue groups impossible to deal with (IF they even responded!) but we grew uneasy the more dogs we met. Some had quite the intensity about them, some were hyper and jumped up which was an issue with the baby's safety. I also grew apprehensive about taking in a dog with unknown background because I didn't want to discover the hard way that he or she had aggression issues or toy possessiveness. As a mother with a baby in tow, the stakes were way higher than a home with just two patient, understanding adults.

I reworked my plan. We researched the best breed that fit our criteria and obviously Goldens made the list. The issue was 1) we didn't have thousands to spend, and, 2) we didn't want a little puppy. I already have one baby to chase after!

After researching breeders that offered older pups, which were still out of my budget, I started combing Craigslist to see if anyone was re-homing a golden. I considered getting a small pup because nothing seemed to be coming up in our criteria, until, BAM. Two ads posted for re-homing a golden, both were roughly 7 months old. In the same city. Five minutes from each other.

The first dog was beautiful, he was a bit hyper and jumpy, about 60lbs and tall, he was being re-homed because the family was expecting a surprise third child and the scheduling for overtime work conflicted with the dog's needs. I loved that family and I also loved that dog! He was $300.

The second was beautiful also, more of a light creamy blonde, smaller build at 50lbs, less hairy and calm. The family rented their home and was moving to a place that didn't allow dogs. They were asking $900. AKC registered. Although I didn't think he was very well bred, because his proportions were a bit wonky. He was more slender in the face with a longer nose than I had ever seen on a golden, but ultimately I didn't care about the physical attributes as much as I cared about his character. I didn't feel great about spending almost double our proposed budget but we decided he was the right size, right demeanor, right age, right breed and all around right dog for our family.

When I got home I did a little research on the paperwork they gave me. It was from a breeder that is from Kansas, which means they definitely got him at a pet store, which is a red flag. The breeder is a known puppy mill. I felt pretty sick about it. I wasn't surprised really, the family seemed nice enough, and I didn't want to tell them they paid $1650 for a puppy mill dog because honestly, they were already going through a hard time letting go of the dog. I didn't feel the need to make it worse for them.

Aside from that, Keller, the dog, is great! He is gentle with my son, quiet, calm, friendly to my cats (they're not so sure yet), doesn't chew/scratch/dig and follows me room to room.

He was not trained when I got him three weeks ago and has already made great progress. I hired Kurt Burk, of Canine Conservatory (canineconservatory.com), to help me with the initial training session. He has a pain-free approach to training and encourage me to use a clicker.

In 3 weeks, Keller can sit, stay, wait at doorways, not pull on a leash, shake paw, come, leave-it, doesn't go on counters anymore, and is learning to love a crate. I can't wait to see his progress develop!

Much love from California!

Chloe and Keller the Dog

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
I'm glad you have him and are giving him a great home. I just don't understand people who get a dog, them move somewhere that won't let them have a dog! In any case, congratulations on Keller, he's beautiful pup and sound like a great match for your family.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So happy he ended up in a loving home, seems like a special boy!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Welcome :)

Hey, never apologize for your choice of dogs -- he sounds like an excellent fit for you and you sound like you will provide a really great home!

I have had a few puppy mill goldens, many of us on the forum have. No judgements here :) Relax and enjoy your Keller.

ETA: Goldens are often 'wonky' when young - my ~13 month old (from excellent breeding) is just starting to show signs of the handsome boy he will become -- his skull is broadening and arching again, his stop is coming back, his body is starting to fill out and muscle etc! He may just end up as handsome as his papa :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,706 Posts
Welcome to you and Keller.
Thank you for giving him a great home, he sounds like a wonderful boy.
Enjoyed the pictures, especially the one with your little one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum. I've got two dogs that are puppy mill dogs. Each was purchased by their previous owners thru puppy stores. The stores were supplied by puppy mills out of Missouri. One we took possession of 12 years ago and she's the perfect dog in every way. The other we took possession of 2 years ago and she is a sweet, sweet girl. She is also tall and lanky with the long, pointy snout and outside of her feathering, has short, fine fur. It doesn't matter to me as I love them both to the moon and back.

So happy to hear that Keller is now in a great home. Wishing you much happiness, which I'm sure he'll bring to your family.

Reactions: rabernet

·
Registered
432 Posts
What a wonderful story. So glad he has someone to appreciate his obvious good nature and calm intelligence. Shouldn't have to apologize. I have a mink coat I absolutely love and have sometimes gotten dirty looks for wearing. But I bought it at a thrift store for $5. No contribution to a dirty business on my part, or yours.

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition to your family. I too have a pre-owned golden, originally bought at a pet shop and no doubt from a puppy mill. He is the best.

·
Karen
986 Posts
Hi Chloe and Keller, So happy for you that you found Keller and that he found you. I'm sure that the family you got him from was so relieved to meet you and the know that their dog would have a great home. Love the picture with your son.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You know it does nt matter where he came from[its not his fault]
He still needed and deserved a loving home
and now he has one
He has a heart of gold and will reward you with his love loyalty laughs cuddles cheekyiness and so much more
enjoy:)

Attachments

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
Congratulations & welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me, like you found the right dog for your family & a great trainer.
We've had dogs for over 35 years. Pet store, farm dogs, pound rescue & registered breeders. Doesn't matter where you get them. If it's right for you, that's all that matters.
Just love & care for them & they'll return that love 10 fold.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations! Sounds like Keller found the perfect forever home.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I too have "rescued" from a Golden from probably a sketchy background. Mine however, was a backyard breeder.
We gave her a great home for the years we had her and she in turn gave us years of love!
I'm sure that you will give her years of love and your child will have the wonderful opportunity of growing up with a lovely dog!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts