Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I wonder how much the breeder had them outside in the sun as they were growing up. Some breeders dont let them go outside much and so their eyes can be sensitive to light. Maybe just keep working on taking him out and his eyes will adjust.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I did not take the time to read all the posts here so if this is somewhat a repeat I apologize. I have a 16 week old pup who was born and lived it's first 7+ weeks in Florida. When I brought her home to New Jersey the first week or so I noticed when we were in the yard anytime the sun was out she would seek out any shade she could find. I kept thinking about the times I competed in agility and would see a dog start on the course and within seconds quit and run to whatever shade it could find and NOW I HAD ONE OF THOSE. Well over the last few weeks there is less and less of this behavior, I think it may have something to do with their eyes still developing and being sensitive to the sun.

·
Lovin my boy Tucker!
1,111 Posts
When we first got Tucker, if we would go outside he would head straight to the shade. He never cried though and I think he just didnt prefer the heat. Today he is fine so I hope its nothing to worry about, but the crying is a bit weird to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My little Jacob won't walk or go where there is sunlight. It's so hard to go for a walk with him. It's kinda cute but I hope he gets over it! We are hoping to take him with us camping and sailing. If I carry him to an area where it's sunny, he'll cry and run to where there are shades and plot himself down there. He's 9 weeks old...is he going to get over this fear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Empress Sunshine (10 weeks old) doesn't like the sun either. In fact, I have to pick her up and carry her to a shady area to do her business. I had a gold retriever prior to this one but I honestly do not remember if she didn't like the sun. I am hoping she grows out of this because we would like her to be my son's service dog.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Rukie hated the sun as a puppy but he's fine with it now. We would run from shade tree to shade tree during the day for exercise and potty breaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My little Jacob won't walk or go where there is sunlight. It's so hard to go for a walk with him. It's kinda cute but I hope he gets over it! We are hoping to take him with us camping and sailing. If I carry him to an area where it's sunny, he'll cry and run to where there are shades and plot himself down there. He's 9 weeks old...is he going to get over this fear?
I know this is a very old post but did your 9 week old Golden ever get over his sun fear? Our 9 weeker is doing the same thing!

·
Super Moderator
2,610 Posts
I know this is a very old post but did your 9 week old Golden ever get over his sun fear? Our 9 weeker is doing the same thing!
I recommend western Washington. No sun. Your puppy will be happy!

Reactions: BBubs

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Rukie got over it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts