Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at least it seems like it! Annie doesn't seem to go crazy for any of us (husband, myself, kids). She gets so much attention and love, great walks, treats...and she just seems like she could take us or leave us.
We were just gone for three days, and missed her so much (family member stayed with her). When we came home, we couldn't wait to see her. The kids bounded in the house, opened her crate, and she came out as if she was saying, "hey there, hmmm, were you guys gone??" Even they notice it, although we always tell them how much she loves them.
Now, she loves, loves, loves other dogs- can't wait to see and play with them! I just wonder what the next 14 years are going to be like with a dog who could care less about us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My puppy did the same when we went away. He was 12 months old and we left him with my parents for 3 weeks while we had a holiday overseas. He was well looked after by my parents as we got regulary reports. When we came back he was very excited to see us but after we bought him home Monty ignored us for 3 days. It wasn't until day 4 that he finally rolled over for a tummy rub. It was like he was punishing us for leaving him. It will get better. Just give her time to sulk.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
How old is she? I am sure she loves you and is secure that you will always be there for her. I have one dog that is like that but there are times, when he looks at me and puts his head on my lap that I know he loves me.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
How old is your pup? It was a couple of weeks after we brought home Molson before he got used to his surroundings and started bonding with us. I"m sure that as your puppy grows older he will become more and more attached to you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Annie is 5 months old. I guess maybe this is just her personality. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but she is such a sweet dog, and I appreciate that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Annie is 5 months old. I guess maybe this is just her personality. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but she is such a sweet dog, and I appreciate that!
I don’t have much hopes in receiving a reply considering that the comment was posted in 2009. But I would love to know if things have changed in the past 11 years. We have a now 4 months old puppy and I’m absolutely devastated about how less she cares about us (me and my husband). She gets super excited for others (strangers), so so happy, crazy jumping and tail wagging. Sometimes we have a feeling that she is trying to tell those people how miserable her life is with us and asking them to take her home. In contrast, She has barely any reaction to us. I come home, she doesn’t even move from her bed, just kind of acknowledges that « oh ok it’s just her, she came back »

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
I don’t have much hopes in receiving a reply considering that the comment was posted in 2009. But I would love to know if things have changed in the past 11 years. We have a now 4 months old puppy and I’m absolutely devastated about how less she cares about us (me and my husband). She gets super excited for others (strangers), so so happy, crazy jumping and tail wagging. Sometimes we have a feeling that she is trying to tell those people how miserable her life is with us and asking them to take her home. In contrast, She has barely any reaction to us. I come home, she doesn’t even move from her bed, just kind of acknowledges that « oh ok it’s just her, she came back »
Yes this is an old thread and the original poster has not been online since 2009. Rest assured that your puppy loves you! It just takes some time to cultivate that bond, so just work on it- train her daily, bring her out, go for walks and adventures. some dogs are not the overly affectionate sort, but the bond will strengthen. after all you have only had her for just 2 months ( assuming she was brought home at 2 months of age). She reacts to strangers with so much happiness, not because she doesn't love you, but its because its interesting and exciting for her to meet new strangers :)

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
A lot of puppies are not overly affectionate at her age. Goldens tend to start being the velcro, seeking attention dogs about about 1-2 years old. Puppies are just too busy. Give it time, it will come.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have to tell you that we adopted a 10 week old lab puppy from the shelter almost 10 years ago. He was always a bit standoffish. He would wag his tail at us and act like he was happy but was never affectionate. We would go to pet him and he would shy away like someone beat him. I can't imagine that happening to him as the shelter knew the people who released him and said they were good to him. They just had 2 puppies from the same litter and 2 kids under 2 and quickly realized it was too much for them. Fast forward to now, Cooper still is not affectionate with us. I know he is happy but has never been and will never be affectionate. We accepted this and realize it is just his way.
Jules

1 - 9 of 9 Posts