Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we continue to work on potty training with Henry, who is 5 months now. He has been doing better with retention, and we have been doing better reacting to his signals that he needs to go out. We’ve ruled out any medical issues with our vet and agreed he’s likely a slow learner.

This afternoon, he was sound asleep on the floor next to my hubby, when we realized he had emptied his bladder on the carpet, presumably in his sleep. He managed to pee all over himself, which is why we don‘t think he was awake when it happened.

This has never happened before. He makes it though the night in his crate without an accident. It’s possible he drank a lot of water before this happened today.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Golden puppy?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Peeing in his sleep points to an incontinence issue, not a house breaking issue and justifies a vet visit. The first thing to rule out would be a UTI. If he were an older spayed female, I'd wonder about spay incontinence, but that is much less common in males, especially if he hasn't been neutered yet. Start with a urinalysis for a UTI and then go from there...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And yet he makes it through the night with no issues...we will take him to the vet, of course...

·
Registered
691 Posts
And yet he makes it through the night with no issues...we will take him to the vet, of course...
I have a 9 year old girl who has had spay incontinence for the last 6 years. She often goes dry through the night. She can sometimes go days with no accidents at all, and then have a day, or several days, where she has multiple accidents within a few hours, sometimes shortly after peeing outside. She almost always has an accident while lying down, but she isn’t always asleep when it happens. My guess is every dog is different... glad you are planning to get it checked out.... fingers crossed for a “simple” and easily resolved UTI...

·
Super Moderator
4,155 Posts
So, we continue to work on potty training with Henry, who is 5 months now. He has been doing better with retention, and we have been doing better reacting to his signals that he needs to go out. We’ve ruled out any medical issues with our vet and agreed he’s likely a slow learner.

This afternoon, he was sound asleep on the floor next to my hubby, when we realized he had emptied his bladder on the carpet, presumably in his sleep. He managed to pee all over himself, which is why we don‘t think he was awake when it happened.

This has never happened before. He makes it though the night in his crate without an accident. It’s possible he drank a lot of water before this happened today.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Golden puppy?
When I had that with my springer, Aster, it was because of an enlarged prostate. I think it lead to not fully emptying the bladder resulting in bacterial growth and infection. Neutering solved that. Happened at 8 years old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Henry update...No UTI. Vet thought it was normal and he likely had a full bladder, was in a deep sleep and couldn’t hold it. We continue to make progress on the potty training — two steps forward and one step back, but progressing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts