Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well her time had come.. Cedar finally went in to get spayed today.. We dropped her off at 7:30 this morning. They did the surgery. called me around noon for an update.. They said it went well! They said she had a large uterus. She recovered well and we went and picked her up at 5:45.

I swear I have never seen this dog so relaxed.. haa. She came into the exam room and didnt even wag her tail.. she just walked to us and put her head in Ryans lap.. when we walked out of the vets, she walked right beside me. Normally she is pulling and trying to get to where we are going first! Walked so calmly all the way to the truck. Ryan lifted her up and put her in the back seat! In which she laid down right away and went to sleep!

Once we got home (5 min drive) she wouldnt get out of the truck.. lol we litertally were trying to coax her with cookies and everything.. We ended up propping her up enough so Ryan could lift her out of the back seat.. She was so cute though..

She walked to the yard, went pee, then walked in the house. Stood in one spot for a little while, then laid down and didnt move from that spot for a few hours.. We even went out for an hour or so, and left her out of her crate which we have never done. But we figured she wasnt going anywhere.. lol

She has been so tired, and you can tell she's hurting.. But thats typical of a drugged up dog who just had her insides ripped out.. poor girl!

She did puke up yellow nasty bile twice. and just keeps walking around being sad and wanting you to comfort her continously. She hasnt puked lately, and I tried feeding her a tiny bit since that will be the first meal she has had all day! So far so good.. She is napping on the floor beside me yet again!

Hopefully tomorrow she has a bit more life to her, but I have to admit, it's kinda nice having a calm dog. Ill enjoy it while it lasts.. lol

She goes back in 10-14 days to get her staples removed.. I never new vets used staples. When Chloe was spayed she had stitches that disolved.

Oh and to top it all off, she also has a bad bacterial infection in her ear which she now has to take drops for for 2 weeks. Poor baby!

But its done and over with, and in a few weeks she will be running and swimming just like she was last week! Its going to be a challenge keeping her calm for the next 10 days or so! She is a wild pup normally! lol

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Oh my gosh, we are going through the same thing. Flora got spayed today, and she came home at about 4, and she hasn't really gotten up since! She's gotten up to eat a little and drink some water, but she refuses to get up to go potty.

I too am not really looking forward to trying to keep her calm for 10 days. It's going to be a challenge. Good luck with Cedar, I hope she recovers quickly! :)

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my gosh, we are going through the same thing. Flora got spayed today, and she came home at about 4, and she hasn't really gotten up since! She's gotten up to eat a little and drink some water, but she refuses to get up to go potty.

I too am not really looking forward to trying to keep her calm for 10 days. It's going to be a challenge. Good luck with Cedar, I hope she recovers quickly! :)
Ahh wow what a coincidence that they both got spayed today.. Cedar goes outside okay, and she wants to eat and drink like crazy but with her puking a bit im not letting her.. Im sure tomorrow she will be back to normal. I hope. It makes me sad seeing her like this!

I wish Flora a speedy recovery, and enjoy the time you have while she's relaxed.. lol

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
the girls sound purty normal per my female lab experiences.

Staples - yesterday was my (well, Bridger's) lst experience with them....so far I've heard 2 things - - less itchy, more itchy. what have you heard?

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Ahh wow what a coincidence that they both got spayed today.. Cedar goes outside okay, and she wants to eat and drink like crazy but with her puking a bit im not letting her.. Im sure tomorrow she will be back to normal. I hope. It makes me sad seeing her like this!

I wish Flora a speedy recovery, and enjoy the time you have while she's relaxed.. lol
Yeah, Flora inhaled her food this evening. I felt so bad, she must have been very hungry!

Still hasn't gone outside though, but she is completely passed out underneath the kitchen table. I guess they had to give her an extra sedative at the vet's because she was very "energetic" and bouncing around too much. :doh:

I hope Cedar stops vomiting soon so she can get some food in her belly. Poor girl!

·
Registered
776 Posts
when maddison was spayed she was quiet and just layed around for the first night and part of the next day and then it got hard to keep her quiet....maddison threw up a few times as well the first night and i felt so bad for her.....but she was back to normal in no time and wanted out to run and play with her friends and that was the hardest part...maddison had stitches and the vet said that her body rejected the stitches which made her get an infection so she was on meds for 2 weeks.....i am wishing you luck keeping cedar quiet and wishing her a speedy recovery......

·
Registered
552 Posts
When Apple gets spayed next Tuesday - my vet said she'll have to spend the night. We'll drop her off on Tuesday and get her Wednesday morning.

Sounds like the other dogs were dropped off and picked up the same day - is that normal? Is the overnight visit abnormal??

·
Registered
529 Posts
Aww...wishing Cedar and Flora both a speedy recovery! I literally JUST walked in the door from dropping off Bailey for her spay so glad to hear they both came out of it just fine!

·
Registered
529 Posts
When Apple gets spayed next Tuesday - my vet said she'll have to spend the night. We'll drop her off on Tuesday and get her Wednesday morning.

Sounds like the other dogs were dropped off and picked up the same day - is that normal? Is the overnight visit abnormal??
I just dropped off Bailey for her spay this morning, and they also want her to spend the night. Apparently it depends on the vet's office, ours reasoning was to ensure that she remained crated and wasn't up and around. I'm still a little torn, so when they call I may see if I can go ahead and get her this evening. Not sure yet! :confused:

Good luck to Apple next Tuesday!! :)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Wishing good recoverys for everyone that had girls get spayed today.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
depends on the vet

I believe 7 years ago when I got Chloe spayed, they kept her over night and I got her the next morning! But with my new vet with Cedar, they really based it on how well the dog was after the spay throughout the day! And if she did okay, then she could go home that night!

So its not abnormal for an overnight visit.. But really the over night makes no sense to me, because its not like anyone is there overnight anyways.. At least if she's home, I can crate her as needed and watch her. Cedar has been so good, she doesnt even wear a cone.. Ive only caught her a few times licking. Most other times I dont even think she knows she has staples!

But she is doing great. She was back to her normal crazy self as of last night! SO now its just trying to keep her calm for the next 5 days! Good luck to everyone else that is going through the same thing! It seems like its Spay season.. lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Poor girl!

I got Roo neutered a month ago, I wanted to buy more of the drugs he was on so I could have a dopey dog for a few more days!! Roo just felt sorry for himself, he was neutered on the Monday and didn't go for a wee from Sunday night until Tuesday night!

Finger's x'd she's all healed soon!

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
But really the over night makes no sense to me, because its not like anyone is there overnight anyways.. At least if she's home, I can crate her as needed and watch her.
i was going to say the same thing. it's one thing if the vet has folks there all night, but if they are just going to crate them and go home, why have them there when you can actually watch them at home much better?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts