Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got some of that Plaque Blast spray they advertise on tv for Maggie's teeth...her molars are pretty gross despite the weekly brushing and special dental additives she has in her water. With this stuff, she cannot eat or drink for 30 min after her treatments, so, I have been finding ways to distract her from her water for 30 min and entertain myself in the mean time. Last night, I found my head scarf from when we went to some Muslim temples in Egypt, so, poor Maggie had to wear it. She was very tolerant of it, and the pictures I took...so, I present, Maggie the Elderly Russian Washerwoman:

In old country, cat chases YOU.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not as much fun. :) I probably could, or shut the door, but she has a food and water holder that is a pain to dissasemble and/or move.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Heehee, okay. I admit, sometimes I will put funny things on Flora (like a hair tie around her ear) for a moment or two just for giggles, and she'll usually sit there and stare at me like, "Mom. Please."

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
She is being very tolerant of your dress up routine.

Lilah had really bad plaque build up when we got her, the vet said she needed a dental cleaning. I have these bones all over the house, and she lays and chews on them a lot. By the time the vet rechecked her teeth in about a month she said the cleaning could wait, Lilah had scraped a good amount of the plaque off with those bones.

Red Barn White Bones at PETCO

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
OH my goodness, I'm laughing so hard :lol: Your description was spot on, and the comment about the cat sent me over the edge. Maggie even has an appropriately despairing--yet patient--look. Heeheehee. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lilah had really bad plaque build up when we got her, the vet said she needed a dental cleaning. I have these bones all over the house, and she lays and chews on them a lot. By the time the vet rechecked her teeth in about a month she said the cleaning could wait, Lilah had scraped a good amount of the plaque off with those bones.

I'll have to try those...we've been giving her Bully Sticks...I believe Red Barn makes her Bully Sticks, too...but they tend to make her poopies a bit soft, so we only give them about every other week (when she gets one, she will work on it non-stop until it is so small it needs to be thrown away). We tried Dentastix, and they gave her awful tummy upset, so, no more of those. Our vet is giving us one more year (as of July) to get her teeth under control before we talk about cleanings, so, I'm hoping to avoid it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
She is being very tolerant of your dress up routine.

I was just going to post a thread about everyones favorite bones for cleaning teeth since Tucker hates it, we will try these. Thanks!!

Maggiesmommy that is too hilarious! I hope she got lots of loves after those 30 mins ;)

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
I'll have to try those...we've been giving her Bully Sticks...I believe Red Barn makes her Bully Sticks, too...but they tend to make her poopies a bit soft, so we only give them about every other week (when she gets one, she will work on it non-stop until it is so small it needs to be thrown away). We tried Dentastix, and they gave her awful tummy upset, so, no more of those. Our vet is giving us one more year (as of July) to get her teeth under control before we talk about cleanings, so, I'm hoping to avoid it.
Good thing about these is there is nothing in or on them that would upset her tummy. They are hollow so you can fill them with peanut butter, yogurt, or whatever paste you want to, that will entice her to chew on them more. You can also get them prefilled from the store, but you might want to avoid that if she has sensitive stomach.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice picture and no treats so what was her reward? Pats and scratches I suppose! Thanks for sharing, she is a cutie!

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
How about giving her a bone to chew to clean her teeth. Works well with my guys. My older Boy is 6 years old and his teeth a great.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts