Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

My Poor Groomer!

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Megora 
#1 ·
Stig is now a year old, and while we have taken him for some generic grooming (bath, ears, toenails) we finally found a really capable groomer who only does Goldens and has some amazing client champion show dogs as well as her own two lovely boys. The good news is that both of our boys were good boys- our old boy James just was told to lay down for his grooming and he literally just laid down on the table and nearly went to sleep. He got a nice snuggly to wear and a comfort hood. Stig however- that wavy coat is going to be a problem, I think. This was most definitely correctly blow dried. Ugh. Oh well-🤣
Tire Wood Fawn Flooring Felidae
Dog Dog breed Plant Carnivore Felidae
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn
most de 😂

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
From the breed standard:
Coat — Dense and water repellent with good undercoat. Outer coat firm and resilient, neither coarse nor silky, lying close to body; may be straight or wavy. Untrimmed natural ruff; moderate feathering on back of forelegs and on under-body; heavier feathering on front of neck, back of thighs and underside of tail.

#6 ·
I know several show dogs with wavy coats. It’s not a fault at all! Eevee’s top coat is naturally a little wavy, it just looks straight because she gets a bath and blow out every week. If I let her air dry or she misses a couple baths, the waves come back. I don’t blow them out on purpose. It just kinda comes with the territory of frequent blow outs.

#13 ·
Looking at the first pic (close up of topline). That ripple along his topline may go away in the next 2 years (by age 2.5 they get their serious big boy coat). Or it may not. It looks fine either way. Have seen plenty of young dogs win with similar ripples. I'd want to add a little leave in conditioner to help add moisture back to the coat. As well, you might want to add a protein rinse type thing for baths between grooms, or ask the groomer to do that to help repair coat and help it grow.

If you are planning to show, I would suggest absolutely doing the protein rinse + not cutting feet so short.

Pardon me for the weird comment - but I was looking at the pictures and puzzling over the 2nd pic (the one where he's looking out the window) and the 3rd pic (standing on the table). They look like different dogs?

#14 ·
Nope definitely the same dog :D- I was just trying to show how his back looks. He has a giant head right now (pict attached pre- grooming) my vet and trainer both say he is definitely still growing- and he certainly has a great deal of filling out to do. he is our first intact male- so my understanding is that everything happens a little more slowly? As noted- my poor groomer- oh, she definitely DID use a leave-in conditioner- she’s pretty savvy and her lovely boys have the titles to prove it. I’m afraid Stig just definitely isn’t a conformation dog and that’s okay. Thank you very much for your suggestions!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

#15 ·
It may have been the lighting perhaps tricking my eyes....

in the picture below -

What I was looking at (arrows) - I see as dry or damaged coat. This is why I'd suggest working with the groomer (if you trust her) to heal up that coat and really make it shine in about 2-5 months.

For showing your dog, ripples or waves are not a huge issue. But you want a healthy coat.

Working animal Carnivore Dog breed Wood Fawn

#17 ·
It may have been the lighting perhaps tricking my eyes....

in the picture below -

What I was looking at (arrows) - I see as dry or damaged coat. This is why I'd suggest working with the groomer (if you trust her) to heal up that coat and really make it shine in about 2-5 months.

For showing your dog, ripples or waves are not a huge issue. But you want a healthy coat.

View attachment 893469
I think it may be the lighting- his coat is super well conditioned- salmon oil every day and I use a product made for my horse by Stubben- contains no silicone and highly moisturizing- let me see if I can find a better picture. trying to photograpg this pup is like trying to catch the wind! Nonelthess- I know zero about conformation but enough to know that I don’t think he has anything like that “look.” He has other redeeming qualities :) Thanks very much again for your suggestions.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Chair
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

#19 ·
Hawthorn's dad, Pinyon, has a straight coat. Funny thing: Before I chose a puppy, I sent swabs to PawPrint, primarily to test for ICH carriers, but also asked for the test for straight/wavy/curly hair. All five pups, according to Paw Print, had straight hair. I've been meaning to send them a pic of Hawthorn's fur and suggest their hair test needs some, ahem, refinement!

This is dad Pinyon's coat, which is very straight:
Eye Felidae Carnivore Plant Dog breed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.