Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here he is in all his glory. I didn't lift his ear up to show the worst of it. But you get the picture.

He hated the donut collar at first, but is used to it now, and it keeps him from scratching. You can see where he scratched himself before I put the collar on. :(

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
OMG!!!!
The had to shave most of one side of his neck, up around the top of his ear, half of his ear flap, and around the front of his ear almost to his eye!!!!

My poor baby looks ridiculous.....and miserable! The whole thing is all red and bumpy, with an area the size of maybe 2 or 2.5 quarters that is just scabby and red and inflamed. :(

He's on an oral antibiotic, and an ointment that's a steroid/antibacterial.

He keeps scratching, though, so I'm off to the pet store today to find a good cone or donut collar that will keep him from scratching without driving him nuts. I feel so bad for him!

And, I'll admit, selfishly, don't really want to take him out and about anywhere while he looks so freakish. :eek:
Aw, don't worry about the shaving. People will understand and be sympathetic. Poor guy - at least he's on the mend.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Aww, poor guy! Our older Bridge boy Gallagher got hotspots all the time. Once, he had one on the front of his neck that was the size of a frying pan, and another one he had was on the end of his tail--it looked like a french fry! It's funny how you never know they have one until you smell that telltale smell...been there many times.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Here he is in all his glory. I didn't lift his ear up to show the worst of it. But you get the picture.

He hated the donut collar at first, but is used to it now, and it keeps him from scratching. You can see where he scratched himself before I put the collar on. :(

Poor handsome dude! He'll be back in his good looking glory soon, though. I bet he's feeling better already.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm fairly sure I recall Steve getting either an ointment or a powder from the vet? And antibiotics orally. But we did talk to our vet before using the Bactine, and he was all for it. It brought little Steve soooo much relief, I would really encourage you guys to talk to your vet and try it. It was literally the only thing that helped feel better, although I'm sure the stuff from the vet helped to actually clear it up as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

21 - 27 of 27 Posts