Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Be strong, feed less, and don’t give in the the academy award worthy starvation act! Green bean diet is good. None of my dogs have ever been overweight so I have no first hand experience with weight loss, but I heard my vet recommending it a lot. I kept my dogs lean and fit by being careful to measure out food, limiting treat intake to almost zero (sometimes just using their kibble as treats since they love it and it is less caloric than treats), and lots of exercise. On days when they got less exercise, they got less food. Or on days when they got more treats (like for training or whatever), less food. Then going the other way, on days they got more exercise, they got a little extra food (like going on an off leash 15 mile trail ride with us and our horses-where the horses go 15 miles, but the dog does enough circling and running back and forth to double that, lol!) Start slowly with exercise though and build up endurance. Your dog will love being at a lean weight once she gets there even if she acts like she is starved-that’s just the nature of goldens. Plus, she will be far less susceptible to lots of health issues! Good luck with the weight loss!

Reactions: Deech

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My female turns 5 this month and like you guys, I am trying to get her weight down. I switched her food over to Hill Perfect Weight she gets 1cup in the morning, 1 in the evening. She was never very active even as a puppy. Her breeder said she was the least active of her litter mates. My vet also mentioned green beans which I did with another dog.

Anyone do the treadmill with their golden.
I’m trying to get my dog on my peloton! Kidding...,

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
That was per day.
scale back on the amount, cut the wet food out. get the thyroid panel done, and kickstart the green bean diet! Oh and make sure you are using a measuring cup for the food, I've seen some people state that they use a cup, but they actually use a mug or something bigger as a 1 cup unit.

also if you can locate a hydrotherapy centre for dogs that'll be good to start her swimming as part of her weight loss program. 100lbs is very hard on their joints so swimming is a low impact activity that is great for building muscle mass and shedding the pounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, my sweet Golden is 2 1/2 years old and she is getting so big! Her diet hasn’t changed but maybe it should. I feed her Eukanuba adult large breed dog (11/2 cups mixed with 1/2 can of Blue Chicken dinner.) she gets an AM feeding and PM feeding. During the day she’s outside playing (unless it’s ungodly hot) or she’s in doggie day care (which had stopped due to Covid). She is now 100lbs and so wide! I tried to cut back the food but she seems hungry (she gulps the food down in 5 minutes and she wakes us up at 4 am)
What do you all feed your Goldens? How often? She’s not my first golden but she’s certainly my largest!
My Golden is 11.5 years old. About 6 years ago she went up to 68 pounds eating half a cup of pro plan salmon sensitive skin and stomach at 0500 and half a cup at 1600. The vet put her on science diet prescription metabolic and I was able to feed her 1.25 cup at 0500 and 1.25 at 1600 per day and she dropped to 58 pounds within a couple of months and has held that weight until now - occasionally going up a pound when my wife sneaks her some people food. I also sneak her a couple of 20 calorie milk bones per day. The vet assured me that the metabolic was also good for adult dogs. The reason for the diet switch was to give her a more filling meal. her skin and coat are great.
I weigh her every week to make sure my wife and I do not cheat. Our puppy, as will as all Goldens, eat whatever you give them. They just don’t know when to stop eating

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Have your vet do a thyroid panel if she is sleeping a lot or low energy. Goldens that have hypothyroidism are more hungry and gain weight.
Have your vet do a thyroid panel if she is sleeping a lot or low energy. Goldens that have hypothyroidism are more hungry and gain weight.
You are feeding your Golden enough food for a 140 pound dog. The Eukanuba product is about 316 calories per cup and one can of the Blue food is about 400 calories. That is about 1400 calories per day. If you want an 80 pound dog, cut her back to about 800 calories per day. Drop the canned food. Feed about 3 cups of the kibble per day. 1.5 per feeding. Good Luck.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts