Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my sweet Golden is 2 1/2 years old and she is getting so big! Her diet hasn’t changed but maybe it should. I feed her Eukanuba adult large breed dog (11/2 cups mixed with 1/2 can of Blue Chicken dinner.) she gets an AM feeding and PM feeding. During the day she’s outside playing (unless it’s ungodly hot) or she’s in doggie day care (which had stopped due to Covid). She is now 100lbs and so wide! I tried to cut back the food but she seems hungry (she gulps the food down in 5 minutes and she wakes us up at 4 am)
What do you all feed your Goldens? How often? She’s not my first golden but she’s certainly my largest!

·
Puddles
3,938 Posts
My girls get 2.5 cups a day... 1.5 in the morning and 1 at dinner. This includes training treats. I don't add canned food to entice them to over eat. Both girls are right around 60 lbs. The older one that was far less active got 2 cups a day 1C morning, 1C dinner... no treats.

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Hi all, my sweet Golden is 2 1/2 years old and she is getting so big! Her diet hasn’t changed but maybe it should. I feed her Eukanuba adult large breed dog (11/2 cups mixed with 1/2 can of Blue Chicken dinner.) she gets an AM feeding and PM feeding. During the day she’s outside playing (unless it’s ungodly hot) or she’s in doggie day care (which had stopped due to Covid). She is now 100lbs and so wide! I tried to cut back the food but she seems hungry (she gulps the food down in 5 minutes and she wakes us up at 4 am)
What do you all feed your Goldens? How often? She’s not my first golden but she’s certainly my largest!
It's important to measure how many calories she gets in a day. Especially treats, since those can seem innocuous but can really start to add up. My 11 month old Golden gets 800-900 calories per day.

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
She should be eating no more than 1 cup of kibble in the morning and 1 cup at night. Most dogs eat very fast. Ignore the 4am demand for food. You're in charge, not her. Those 100 pounds will be hard on her joints and could cause health issues as she ages. It's good that you are concerned now - you can help her get the weight off. Make a commitment to more exercise for her, too, starting with leash walks until she gets some of those pounds off, and working up to running, swimming, and playing ball.

·
Registered
227 Posts
100 lbs is way too much. I just had mine in. She was 60 lbs. I got scolded because she gained 3 lbs since her last visit. She was eating 3 cups per day as a growing puppy and I had cut her down to 2.5 split between two meals but she still had gained. My girl tuned 2 in April. So our new plan is 2 cups split between 2 meals. I use apples and blueberries for treats so I started adding cut up apples in her food bowl. She was never a fast eater but my Beagle is and the cut up apples make them chew it slower. I would get rid of the canned food to start with and eventually cut down her dry. You don't want to go too drastic since she is such a big girl now. Take her on early morning and late evening walks. They don't have to be far. Can she do a mile?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
I would get rid of the canned food also- it's loaded with unnecessary calories.

Are you familiar with the green bean diet? You can cut your girl's food down to 1/2 to 3/4 cups of food, then add either 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of green beans to total 1 cup. The green beans can be fresh, frozen or canned. Just be sure they do not contain any salt-salt is toxic to dogs. The green beans will fill her up.

What kind of treats do you give her? Treats also have a lot of calories and the amount of calories they have should be included in total # of calories per day.

My guys have always liked fresh fruits and veggies, I give them as treats and sometimes add a few to meals. I give basically whatever is in season. My current boy loves watermelon, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Watermelon is grown here along with sweet potatoes, both favorites.

Just like when a human goes on a diet, you have to reduce the number of calories and increase the amount of exercise in order to take the weight off.
Carrying additional weight is hard on hips and joints and other organs-basically overall health.

If you are close to any type of water-lake, pool, ocean, etc. take your girl swimming. Swimming is the best form of exercise and it's doesn't put any stress on hips and joints.

My current boy is 11, I take him walking early in the morning before it gets too hot or late evening after it's cooled down. There's a small beach at the end of my street for residents, I have always taken my guys down there to go swimming in the Inter Coastal Waterway. I try to take him swimming 3-4 days a week.

Once your girl has gotten down to a good weight (60-63 lbs.) I wouldn't feed her anymore than 1 cup of food at each feeding.

·
Premium Member
18,148 Posts
First thing to do is look at the bag of food and find the kcal/cup. You can find another food with lower calories per cup, but I would also cut how much she is getting. Stop the canned food and only feed 1 cup am and 1 cup pm. She will probably act like she's still hungry, and you can add low salt green beans to help her feel more full. 100 lbs is too much and is not healthy for her. It will take time, so be patient, but cut the calories and cut the portions and you will get there.

·
Registered
800 Posts
My female is 2 and weighs 60. She eats 1 cup kibble in morning and 8 oz of raw in the evening. And we don’t do many treats at all unless we are training and then I alter her amount. I once had a lab who was 5 pounds overweight and my vet slammed a cup in front of me and said, “See this? Two a day. No more.” Harsh, yes, but just like humans the extra weight is so detrimental to joints.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yep, that's far too much. Always feed a little less than what the bag recommends, and factor in their activity. I've only used wet food for when my pup needed to gain a food pounds, and it was sparingly - like a heaping spoonful mixed in.

YOU make the call on how much she eats, when, how often, etc. Invest in a slow feeder bowl, or I've seen people use muffin tins and sheet pans.

Have you consulted with your vet?

·
Registered
633 Posts
My girl was just spayed and we had been feeding her 1 cup 2X per day. The vet said we have to watch her now that she is spayed and may need to reduce her feedings by 25% :oops: I told him she is really not going to be happy about that!!
Jules

·
Registered
485 Posts
Most Goldens could teach a master class in acting, and will convince you they’re on the brink of starvation. Your girl will live a longer more comfortable life if you can get her weight under control and keep her lean and fit. You may want to check with your vet about a prescription weight loss food, but I’ve used the green bean diet with previous dogs with great success. Some days you have to get up really early to beat the heat but a vigorous walk or run in the field every day will help her slim down. Our 2 year old boy was weighed at the vet today because I thought he was looking a little wide in the behind, and we’ve been training (and rewarding) at lot lately. 69 lbs so I think we’re still okay. Stand firm and you’ll get her down to a healthy weight.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
I would get rid of the canned food also- it's loaded with unnecessary calories.

Are you familiar with the green bean diet? You can cut your girl's food down to 1/2 to 3/4 cups of food, then add either 1/2 cup or 1/4 cup of green beans to total 1 cup. The green beans can be fresh, frozen or canned. Just be sure they do not contain any salt-salt is toxic to dogs. The green beans will fill her up.
Once your girl has gotten down to a good weight (60-63 lbs.) I wouldn't feed her anymore than 1 cup of food at each feeding.
I started the green bean diet with my overweight (73 pounds!) Janey and today, a year later, she has lost 10+ pounds and has a svelte figure! She actually looked like a little sausage and now, after the green bean diet, she has her pretty waistline back! Our tracking trainer observed this week that Janey seems much bouncier since losing weight. Hopefully we've added some years back to her life.

I started taking her to classes at the local obedience club in May 2019 and one of the trainers admired her and in the next breath said, emphatically, You have to get that extra weight off of her! Since she was a trainer at the San Diego Zoo for many years, I was all ears: fresh green beans from Costco were on my weekly list from then on. I've used canned also, no salt, for when I cannot make it to Costco. Janey has never been finicky but she prefers the green beans before her kibble sometimes. Funny dog.

So yes, I recommend the green beans, too! Getting involved with all the obedience/tracking/rally etc helped us a lot too = more exercise. We use a lot of (healthy) treats but make allowance in her meals, of course. She will do anything for food -- the smallest bit it seems.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
I started the green bean diet with my overweight (73 pounds!) Janey and today, a year later, she has lost 10+ pounds and has a svelte figure! She actually looked like a little sausage and now, after the green bean diet, she has her pretty waistline back! Our tracking trainer observed this week that Janey seems much bouncier since losing weight. Hopefully we've added some years back to her life.

I started taking her to classes at the local obedience club in May 2019 and one of the trainers admired her and in the next breath said, emphatically, You have to get that extra weight off of her! Since she was a trainer at the San Diego Zoo for many years, I was all ears: fresh green beans from Costco were on my weekly list from then on. I've used canned also, no salt, for when I cannot make it to Costco. Janey has never been finicky but she prefers the green beans before her kibble sometimes. Funny dog.

So yes, I recommend the green beans, too! Getting involved with all the obedience/tracking/rally etc helped us a lot too = more exercise. We use a lot of (healthy) treats but make allowance in her meals, of course. She will do anything for food -- the smallest bit it seems.
Great to hear, good job!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My boy is 3 years old and 72 pounds, and I think he might need to lose a pound or two. (Too many training treats?) He gets one cup of Pro Plan Sport twice a day. He was fed no more than a total of 2 1/4 cu. a day since he was 4mo. old (when I got him) and still in the growing stages. The advice you are getting from everyone here is spot on....I know your dog will act like he's starving when you cut his food down, but he won't be. :) If you go the green bean route and get canned, make sure you get the salt free kind.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If cutting back on your dog's food does not get you the results you are hoping for, I strongly recommend getting her thyroid tested. Be sure to ask your vet for the "full panel" (T4, freeT4, T3, freeT3 and possibly TGAA). When I had a hypothyroid dog I always sent my blood samples to HemoPet, which specializes in those tests.

Being overweight can also be caused by other medical issues (hyperadrenocorticism, Cushings, diabetes) so if she hasn't been to the vet recently, a visit would be a good idea, even if you think the weight is just from over-feeding her.

BTW don't let this recommendation scare you... chances are good you are just feeding her too much, but it's not a disaster if she IS hyperthyroid as the medication for that is fairly inexpensive and it means you won't have to "starve' your dog to get the weight off! ;)

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
A rule of thumb we used to figure out how much to feed our Goldens was 10 calories of food per pound of goal weight. So, if your goal weight is 70 pounds, your dog should eat about 700 calories per day. If the kibble is 350 calories per cup, feed 2 cups per day, or one cup per meal if you feed twice a day. Purina Pro Plan is 396 calories per cup. Our Rocky is 75 pounds and we feed him 2 cups per day. He is fairly active. Our late boy, Max was too heavy when he was young, and lost 23 pounds over about 8 months using this formula. Here is a picture of Rocky, who is 3 years old.
IMG_1199.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have your vet do a thyroid panel if she is sleeping a lot or low energy. Goldens that have hypothyroidism are more hungry and gain weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That seems like a lot of kibble which is mostly carbs and sugar. I know the golden retriever rescue use to get in kibble fed Goldens that are way overweight so they are put on the GREEN BEAN Diet to add weight and volume to the food without a lot of calories, tablespoon of nupro powder supplement, and a little dog food.
I feed raw now as I can buy it very affordably at the freezer at the local livestock feed store. I feed a Raw Complete with Raw Meat, Bones, Veggies, Fruits, Seeds, & Supplements. About $3 a pound. They also have a Natural Organs Raw that I alternate with. Wild wolves, etc, eat the organs first for the high value nutrients in the organs.
I add a tablespoon of NaturVet Kelp Help KELP greens powder for iodine. A tablespoon of plain KEFIR like yogurt for probiotics. A raw EGG, as eggs are the most complete protein with all amino acids with everything to grow a chicken, and always sprinkle the food with CHIA seeds for fiber and firm poop. Buy 2 pounds of Chia Seeds for $6 online so last a long time.
My golden loves raw over any kibble. I try to avoid kibble, as my goldens would usually get terrible gas, terrible diarrhea, get overweight, have huge stinky poops, get doggy smell which is yeast overgrowth, ear issues from too much yeast growth, oily hair, etc caused by the high sugar and high carb content of most kibbles.

The raw keeps her svelte figure, she stays muscular, no gas ever, no doggy smell even when wet in and out of the pool or sea once or twice a day. No ear issues, etc.
Banana slices, apple slices or dehydrated dry meat can make healthy treats. .Golden puppies love playing with radishes and then eat them, or playing with an apple and then eating it.

You need to add KELP greens powder for iodine to help prevent hypothyroidism. The allopathic vets will not tell you these tips. Learned from a retired veterinarian.

If you are not ready to try a frozen ground up raw, you can easily add a raw EGG to the kibble or canned pet food for lots of fresh enzymes and nutrients. Better raw, as when cooked, loose most of the nutrition. You can add the KELP powder to kibble or canned pet food as pets need iodine daily, just like humans desperately need iodine daily to maintain health. Add the KEFIR to kibble or canned pet food for probiotics and sprinkle CHIA seeds on top, as I have seen many kibble fed dogs with daily gas and diahrrhea and the pet owners don't know how to stop the diahrrhea and the vets are not much help. I already went down that road so then learned from a retired vet to improve the diet.
FreshPet .com sold at costco, target, some grocery stores, in the fridge. It is cooked meat, veggies, fruit that is refrigerated pet food.
OnlyNaturalPet .com has dehydrated dry pet food that is dehydrated meat, dehydrated veggies and fruits, and pet stew, just add water and a little coconut oil. My goldens do not like dehydrated pet food, as they prefer raw, but if you mix in a little coconut oil or real irish butter then they will eat dehydrated pet food.
OnlyNaturalPet has Raw Nibs which is dehydrated freeze dried meat pellets which make for healthy treats and are dry so can easily take with you.

We have tried everything thru the years, but this diet has been easy, great health results, and they love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My female turns 5 this month and like you guys, I am trying to get her weight down. I switched her food over to Hill Perfect Weight she gets 1cup in the morning, 1 in the evening. She was never very active even as a puppy. Her breeder said she was the least active of her litter mates. My vet also mentioned green beans which I did with another dog.

Anyone do the treadmill with their golden.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts