Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start after Christmas. I'm going to make this jacket in a brown wool, kind of tweedie. It's for a horse show at the end of April; a weekend that is usually cold, windy and a bit rainy. I thought I'd wear a creme turtle neck sweater under it. I have chocolate brown ultra suede for the chaps. I love the slender look (although I'M not that slender) and the grown up look. Different from my usual sparkley look.

I'm nervous about it because there's a lot of tailoring techniques that I haven't done before. I'll be making it out of muslin first to make sure I get a good fit.

V8519 | Misses' Jacket | Jackets/Vests | Vogue Patterns

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Judi. I'm not sure it's ambition. I've always said there's a fine line between courage and stupidity. I may be crossing the line with this project!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Viking. A lower end computerized one. It's taken me 2 years to make 'friends' with it. ;) My old machine was a $79 Sears. Going to computerized was like another planet.

·
Davina
392 Posts
I have a computerized brothers. before that I had an old school no computerized singer. wow going to a computerized last yet was STRANGE. lol

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I got used to it, it is really nice. I had some vision problems when I first got it and couldn't see. That didn't help. :curtain:

·
Davina
392 Posts
OH I bet that didn't help. I haven't got to do more then play with mine..... sewed some barbie clothes for my daughters.... that's about it... no REAL projects.... I would like to sew something real with it.... some day maybe.... I have 4 children.... I HAVE NO TIME TO SEW!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
It looks like a lovely jacket. The neckline and the sewn lines of the seams are really distinctive.
Since you are wearing a sweater underneath, is it a lightweight material? Just wondering as this jacket is so fitted, you wouldn't want anything bulky underneath. I love the side panels and two piece sleeves. If your fabric is smooth, solid color, it will show these sewn lines as a design feature.
Are you riding in the horse show?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to go with a very finely knit sweater, nothing too bulky. Or maybe what is called a slinky, a very stretchy turtly neck sort of thing. The wool is kind of a medium weight. Not as light as suiting, not bulky either. I'll get pictures of the wool and ultrasuede tomorrow.

Yes, I'll be showing Harry. My goal for next season is to do all my own riding. DD helped me this year, I tend to be a little nervous when we first get to the show. But Harry is so bombproof, I have to summon my inner cowgirl and just RIDE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts