Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alyssa
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure if this should go here or in the puppy breeder section, so I apologize if this is incorrect!

Our new puppy was born a week ago. The breeder texted me a picture of the pups and to tell me there was 4 girls and 3 boys in the litter. I have first choice of a female. Today, she posted on her Facebook page with another picture of the pups that there were 2 healthy girls and 2 healthy boys and that it was a smaller litter than they expected. So there were 7 puppies but only 4 healthy?

I texted her to ask if anything had happened to the pups and if there was anything to worry about. She responded and said all was well with the mom and my puppy. My concern is that something happened to 3 of the puppies and it’s not being said outright.

I know fading puppy syndrome can happen or that they could’ve been born with complications so she can’t sell them. Are complications or health problems common to happen to almost half of a litter? If so, does this mean the healthy pups are more likely to develop something down the line?

Some of my friends said there shouldn’t be anything to worry about, but I’m still concerned. I haven’t been able to find anything online that helps me. Are there any breeders or people with experience that could help? Thank you!

·
Kristy
9,417 Posts
I know you must be so concerned. I am not a breeder but have learned enough to know that things can and do go wrong. Puppy gets stepped on or laid on and smothered, puppy is born with a birth defect, etc. It would be nice if the breeder shared the details but at this point she is probably physically and emotionally spent.

Maybe you should reach out and let her know how sorry you are that a few of the puppies aren't doing well or didn't make it. Let the breeder know you are concerned from the heart, ask how mama is doing and remember that the breeder is in all likelihood heartbroken over the loss of one or more puppies. Be compassionate. When you have shown how much you care, it would be acceptable to me to ask what happened and let her know you support her. If you don't trust your breeder enough to ask some questions and accept the answers, it may be that you didn't research enough to trust the person raising your future puppy.

·
Alyssa
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does she have other Dams who possibly had a litter of four?
She does have one other but it's a lab and not a Golden. She also posted the mom's name so I know she's talking about the litter I'm getting a pup from.

I know you must be so concerned. I am not a breeder but have learned enough to know that things can and do go wrong. Puppy gets stepped on or laid on and smothered, puppy is born with a birth defect, etc. It would be nice if the breeder shared the details but at this point she is probably physically and emotionally spent.

Maybe you should reach out and let her know how sorry you are that a few of the puppies aren't doing well or didn't make it. Let the breeder know you are concerned from the heart, ask how mama is doing and remember that the breeder is in all likelihood heartbroken over the loss of one or more puppies. Be compassionate. When you have shown how much you care, it would be acceptable to me to ask what happened and let her know you support her. If you don't trust your breeder enough to ask some questions and accept the answers, it may be that you didn't research enough to trust the person raising your future puppy.
Thanks for your response. That's a totally fair point. That is also what my friend has said. I didn't push it and just said thank you for her response. I will definitely express compassion next time I see her in person and maybe she'll be ready to talk about it. My boyfriend also expressed that she might not be willing to talk about losing puppies if that did happen. I just want to make sure that means the other puppies are still safe. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,295 Posts

This is really good advice. As a volunteer breeder caretaker with a service dog organization, I've experienced the occasional stillborn and that's always sad. But a few of my fellow volunteers have experienced the loss of a puppy that was born alive and lived for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I find that loss to be way, way worse and can not imagine the sadness. @nolefan has offered you excellent advice. Be compassionate! I can't imagine announcing the arrival of 7 puppies and then losing 3 of them.

(I am also wondering if the breeder is holding back a few puppies so maybe she means 4 healthy puppies that are available to buyers. That's my glass half full personality!)

ETA: With my organization, puppies are assigned a collar color in a very specific order. When I post a picture of the newborn litter, experienced volunteers know the collar color order so they might notice the litter is missing "blue," for example. I always appreciate the kind, genuine words from someone who says they realize a collar color is missing and they're sorry for the loss of the puppy. People who message me to be nosy about the missing collar color are easy to spot and those occasional messages irk me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree w/ GoldenDude's thought that it may be that the breeder is only mentioning the puppies that are still available on FB. Do you know if the whole litter was spoken for?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The first week after the puppies are born is such a risk laden time. Moms are 50-60 pounds and new born puppies are usually less than an pound. The size difference is huge and mommas have been known to accidentally lay on their puppies. Things like fading puppy are real and honestly that is just the beginning of what can go wrong with neonates. There are many litters where a puppy or sometimes more don’t make it but everyone else is healthy. It is understandable that you are concerned and you have to decide if you are comfortable with this puppy. If you are dealing with a reputable breeder, that puppy will have a vet check before you pick it up and you will have the opportunity to get one on the puppy too.

·
Alyssa
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is really good advice. As a volunteer breeder caretaker with a service dog organization, I've experienced the occasional stillborn and that's always sad. But a few of my fellow volunteers have experienced the loss of a puppy that was born alive and lived for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. I find that loss to be way, way worse and can not imagine the sadness. @nolefan has offered you excellent advice. Be compassionate! I can't imagine announcing the arrival of 7 puppies and then losing 3 of them.

(I am also wondering if the breeder is holding back a few puppies so maybe she means 4 healthy puppies that are available to buyers. That's my glass half full personality!)

ETA: With my organization, puppies are assigned a collar color in a very specific order. When I post a picture of the newborn litter, experienced volunteers know the collar color order so they might notice the litter is missing "blue," for example. I always appreciate the kind, genuine words from someone who says they realize a collar color is missing and they're sorry for the loss of the puppy. People who message me to be nosy about the missing collar color are easy to spot and those occasional messages irk me.
Thank you for your response. I’m feeling better about everything now. :) Obviously I have no breeding experience so I don’t know what is normal and what isn’t! Thank you for sharing your experience.
I agree w/ GoldenDude's thought that it may be that the breeder is only mentioning the puppies that are still available on FB. Do you know if the whole litter was spoken for?
I do know that the whole litter was spoken for before they were born. But a few people may have backed out due to the pandemic, so I’m hoping that’s what it is as well!

The first week after the puppies are born is such a risk laden time. Moms are 50-60 pounds and new born puppies are usually less than an pound. The size difference is huge and mommas have been known to accidentally lay on their puppies. Things like fading puppy are real and honestly that is just the beginning of what can go wrong with neonates. There are many litters where a puppy or sometimes more don’t make it but everyone else is healthy. It is understandable that you are concerned and you have to decide if you are comfortable with this puppy. If you are dealing with a reputable breeder, that puppy will have a vet check before you pick it up and you will have the opportunity to get one on the puppy too.
Thank you. Again, I have no experience with breeding or newborn puppies so I have no idea what can happen! Thank you for sharing. Two of my friends have dogs from this breeder and are very happy. The breeder is a part of our community and is well known, so I do trust her, but again I don’t know what’s normal. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts