Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We helped our poor Lucy cross over the rainbow bridge on Monday. She had surgery in January to remove a tumor that was protruding from her anus. It turned out to be malignant, and after testing, came back as soft tissue sarcoma grade 2. We opted to not do radiation due to her advanced age (13). We saw a holistic vet and we had Lucy on Chinese Herbs, but sadly, about 2 weeks ago, we noticed some changes in her behavior, took her back to the vet, and he noticed that the cancer was back in her anus. She was just at the vet 3 or 4 weeks before for a check up and all looked fine. We took her home and waited to notice any signs of pain, discomfort, and then she started limping. Could have been totally unrelated, or could be the cancer metastasized to her bones. Once Lucy collapsed and couldn't walk any longer, we knew it was time. We had a wonderful Vet come to the house and sedate her here and euthanize. We wanted her to feel comfortable and happy at home (she hated going to the vet so much), and we wanted Boone to see what happened and hopefully process it. I held her head in my arms talking to her through the whole process.

My angel....we are shattered. The sweetest girl. Boone is diabetic, and going blind. Lucy was his guide. He is lost without her. We all are. So that's it....from a 3 dog family...Losing Jax suddenly to a ruptured spleen from cancer (we had no idea) 18 months ago, and now Lucy. Boone is sick at home, blind and on insulin 2x a day. Such a sad sad time for us. I cry each time I think of her, which is multiple times throughout the day. Please keep us in your thoughts. RIP Lucy, until we meet again. I know Jax has met you and now you can both be play together until we join you one day. (7/26/08 to 06/07/21)
136973012_10160604181151040_3528042051677525508_o.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
What a sweet face. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Of course you are crying; it is a huge loss and it will take some time to adjust. Almost nothing in this life is sadder than losing a beloved pet. They don't live long enough. My thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Lucy and your heartbreak. I'm sorry about Jax also. Hopefully, they are romping around together in heaven until they see you again. Prayers for y'all and prayers for Boone. I'm sure he must feel confused, but it's so good he has you to look after him. Big hug!

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I am so sorry. Lucy had such a beautiful sugar face and I can tell she lived a great long life with you and her brothers.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My deepest condolences for your loss of angel Lucy. Of course you are devastated and worried about Boone coping too. Sometimes it feels too much to bear, but we do, sadly and sorrowfully.
You will be strong for Boone. Be kind to yourself because the grieving is normal and natural. Surround yourself with understanding people.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Lucy was such a beautiful special girl. I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Lucy looks like such a sweetheart. Sending peace for your hearts. 🐾💗

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind words. My days are filled with moments of tears when thoughts of Lucy enter my mind. My dreams have Lucy in them as well. Our main focus has been keeping Boone happy and trying to keep him a bit more busy. He seems lost without her, but at the same time he is tired and weak, and has difficulty getting up. 18 months ago he had a very large benign tumor removed from his side. Ever since, he has has some weakness in his rear legs. My husband is out getting some things at the pet store for him that are vision impaired friendly. Hoping he comes home with a couple of good new things. We are also thinking of getting him a marrow bone which might help make him happy as well. We very rarely have gotten these since this was the one time they would growl at each other, protecting their grand possession. Now, with only one, we don't need to worry about this any longer. :(

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,650 Posts
Thank you everyone for your kind words. My days are filled with moments of tears when thoughts of Lucy enter my mind. My dreams have Lucy in them as well. Our main focus has been keeping Boone happy and trying to keep him a bit more busy. He seems lost without her, but at the same time he is tired and weak, and has difficulty getting up. 18 months ago he had a very large benign tumor removed from his side. Ever since, he has has some weakness in his rear legs. My husband is out getting some things at the pet store for him that are vision impaired friendly. Hoping he comes home with a couple of good new things. We are also thinking of getting him a marrow bone which might help make him happy as well. We very rarely have gotten these since this was the one time they would growl at each other, protecting their grand possession. Now, with only one, we don't need to worry about this any longer. :(
It's a hard journey for all of you, I hope with time your hearts will heal and you will find peace.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So sorry to read about your dear Lucy. May memory of your happy moments with her bring some consolation to your soul.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful Lucy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We helped our poor Lucy cross over the rainbow bridge on Monday. She had surgery in January to remove a tumor that was protruding from her anus. It turned out to be malignant, and after testing, came back as soft tissue sarcoma grade 2. We opted to not do radiation due to her advanced age (13). We saw a holistic vet and we had Lucy on Chinese Herbs, but sadly, about 2 weeks ago, we noticed some changes in her behavior, took her back to the vet, and he noticed that the cancer was back in her anus. She was just at the vet 3 or 4 weeks before for a check up and all looked fine. We took her home and waited to notice any signs of pain, discomfort, and then she started limping. Could have been totally unrelated, or could be the cancer metastasized to her bones. Once Lucy collapsed and couldn't walk any longer, we knew it was time. We had a wonderful Vet come to the house and sedate her here and euthanize. We wanted her to feel comfortable and happy at home (she hated going to the vet so much), and we wanted Boone to see what happened and hopefully process it. I held her head in my arms talking to her through the whole process.

My angel....we are shattered. The sweetest girl. Boone is diabetic, and going blind. Lucy was his guide. He is lost without her. We all are. So that's it....from a 3 dog family...Losing Jax suddenly to a ruptured spleen from cancer (we had no idea) 18 months ago, and now Lucy. Boone is sick at home, blind and on insulin 2x a day. Such a sad sad time for us. I cry each time I think of her, which is multiple times throughout the day. Please keep us in your thoughts. RIP Lucy, until we meet again. I know Jax has met you and now you can both be play together until we join you one day. (7/26/08 to 06/07/21) View attachment 883507
what a beautiful lady. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. That is the face of a sweet old girl that has lived a long wonderful life (we lost our 14 year-old girl a year ago). I hope you can find comfort in the knowledge that she'll always be a part of you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts