Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kaileigh
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in December I added a new baby to my furry family, Charlotte. She was 8 weeks old and was diagnosed with Coccidia at 9 weeks. We battled diarrhea, dehydration, lack of interest in food, and vomiting stools for 2-3 weeks (with medication) before she was clear of the parasite. Now, at 14 weeks, she has a UTI/bladder infection (that's being treated with antibiotics, apple cider vinegar, and yogurt). She's doing a lot better health wise now, but as you can imagine potty training has been on the back burner. I'd really love some tips, advice, encouragement, and whatever else you guys have to offer to get Charlotte back on track! She's a little fighter, never showed how sick she really was, and needs to enjoy the rest of her puppy hood without me going insane about her constantly peeing in the house!! [: Thanks!!!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
It sounds a lot like my begin with Liza. She came home with Coccidia, and a few weeks after that had a major UTI. That had to be treated for about two months, because it went on an on. And like you say, her potty training was slow. Tess, my three year old, was trained in three weeks. With Liza, it took three months. But you will get there, believe me. Just take her out a lot. After every UTI attack it basically started again, the whole training. Not fun. But they do learn, and if that burning urge is gone, she will be trained fast enough!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I would just treat her potty training as if she had just stepped into your home. With the two things she had (Flem also had coccidia as a pup and never lost much of her spunk either) she has had no chance to even try to control her bowels and bladder. Get her outside when she wakes up, after eating, after playing inside, and at least every hour in between when she is awake. The good thing, since she is 14 weeks, is that once she will have understood what is expected, chances are she will be able to "hold it" for a bit longer than an 8 weeks old before needing to pee again.

Lots of people use bells at the door for potty training. I have never done so but I am sure somebody who has will chime in.

Be sure to clean all inside surfaces where she might have gone with an enzymatic cleaner; other cleaners mask the smell for us but do not for doggie noses.

Good luck with Charlotte; she will progress; she will get it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts