Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes I know I made a huge mistake, please don't tell me how bad of a dog owner I am, I already feel like crap.

so my two goldens aren't fixed, yes I know I should have but, when they go into heat I barely notice it, Promise ( 2 years) doesn't bleed that much, and Patience ( 5 years) keeps herself very clean, my front and back yards are fully fenced, when we go anywhere both dogs are always on leashes, and I will never get a male dog.
I let my dogs outside in the back when I'm at work, because no ones there to let them out.
so a little more than two months ago, my not so friendly neighbors had family visiting and they brought their two standard poodles, a white male and a black female.
I came home after working ten hours, and went to let my dogs inside, I saw the white poodle and Patience locked! I of course freaked and ran out there yelling and after 2 minutes they were unlcoked, so i got my dogs back inside, got a leash got the poodle and took it over to the neighbors and told them what happened. the owner of the poodles freaked on me asking why I would let them do this, and that I just ruined her dog because it has champions in its blood, ect. so i yell back at them to keep their dam dog in their yard and i leave. so i checked out patience and promise they seem fine, happy to see me.
so the next morning I am about to open the back door and I see both poodles in my back yard, wth? so i get them again and take them over and tell them if they get in my yard again I'm letting them loose ( yes it was mean, no I wouldn't really take anything out on a dog) i found out how they got in, they have a woodpile up against the fence and the poodles must have climbed in then jumped.
so skip forward about a month, Patience starts putting some weight on, so I take her to the vets, she is prego, everything looks fine, the vet thinks theres about 7 pups. no I didn't abort. so i get everything ready welping box, towels, ect and I read the books, so skip to yesterday she started giving birth at 11 am, and by 5pm she had 9 puppies.
now I know you guys would love to yell at me, don't worry my mother has already done it.
now for the first question ( there will probably be a hundred more)

how long should the puppies be sucking? I know they need to eat every two hours but how long should each puppy be sucking on a teat? I just want to be sure they are getting enough milk, she has alot of milk in her. they seem to be sucking for about 5 minutes then she will clean them some of them will continue to suck while other will go to sleep, it that o.k? should I be encouraging the ones that go to sleep to eat more?

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Uh oh ;) I have no answers for you, I just wanted to say something like ... congratulations? But that doesn't seem right, then I thought of not posting at all and that didn't seem right either!

So ... golden doodles! Let's go with that :) Maybe there's a Koda in there somewhere :heartbeat I'd love to see some pictures!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Let's see 2 intact female goldens just happen to have an intact standard poodle visiting next door? Yeah, this was an accidental breeding all right. And let me guess, the 2 yr old golden is still unaltered, yet is left outside even when she's in heat? At least they'll be too young to pawn off as "Xmas presents".

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Perhaps this thread should just be locked now. We all know where it is headed.
I completely agree. We have had way too many threads exactly like this lately and they all go the same way. Let's just save everyone the headache this time.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Well I hope someone comes along and answers the question first. Can we just try to stay positive and upbeat?

I'm pretty sure the puppies will nurse when they're hungry. Are you weighing them? If you notice some are smaller maybe you could try intervening for them.

Is this your first litter?

·
Kathy mom to Jasper
807 Posts
Let's see 2 intact female goldens just happen to have an intact standard poodle visiting next door? Yeah, this was an accidental breeding all right. And let me guess, the 2 yr old golden is still unaltered, yet is left outside even when she's in heat? At least they'll be too young to pawn off as "Xmas presents".
How rude! The owner already said this was a big mistake and you are just rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, they shouldn't of been outside. But you know what the mistake has already happened and they are asking for help!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but I know that a human baby will get most of the milk from a single breast in around 5 min. After that they are just satisfying their need to suck. I would assume that a pup could get a good amount of milk in that amount of time also. Don't forget they are newly born and probably don't need as much milk as they will in a few days. Anyway, I think the first couple of days it's not milk, it's colostrum.

Any chance on seeing some pictures? They must be so adorable :smooch:....I love all dogs no matter what their parentage is.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sheetssm: my living situation changed and I have to live in town now instead of out in the country on 6 fenced acres, you do not know my situation, i siad you barely notice when they go into heat.
JO Ellen: they are all the same size, one is a little smaller but its drinking more than the others, and yes and no this is my first litter but my grandmas jrt has had puppies and I was there it was several years ago though.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Using this as an "opportunity"...when is the 2yr old scheduled to be spayed? If money is an issue, I bet there is a low cost spay/neuter clinic available.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry I clicked the quick reply before i was done.
I didn't fix them because I didn't know my living situation would change and I thought we would be secluded forever. I didn't know Patience was in heat, when I see that they are in heat I keep them in the house as much as possible.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Jo Ellen, I will get some pics soon, I have them in my room ( its dark and I read to keep the room dark) and I don't think the flash would be good for them or the momma. I have a few on my cell phone but I can't load them online.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think you can trust Patience to know what to do with her pups, she sounds like she is being a great mom. Just keep a close eye on them, and of course ask your Vet about any concerns you might have.

Good luck and Congrats!

·
16,000 Posts
Let nature take its course. As long as all the puppies are gaining weight fairly equally, and none of them are seeming to be less capable of nursing, or are not being pushed away by any littermates, mother will take care of them. Let them nurse as much as they want.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts

·
16,000 Posts
sorry I clicked the quick reply before i was done.
I didn't fix them because I didn't know my living situation would change and I thought we would be secluded forever. I didn't know Patience was in heat, when I see that they are in heat I keep them in the house as much as possible.
Spaying them is not only about not having puppies, there are compelling health reasons to do so. Please do not wait to get Promise spayed, and have Patience done as soon as is safely possible after the puppies are done nursing.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts