Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My name is Stafania and I am from Western New York. I jus lost my Golden Retriever Rocky of 10 years to Bone Cancer and needless to say I am devastated. I do not know what to do. I swear I hear him walking in the kitchen and on the hard wood floors in the dinning room. I dream of him running to me with his favorite stuffed tiger in his mouth begging me to play with him. Rocky was diagnosed with Bone Cancer and it only took a month for him to go down hill so fast that I was suddenly faced with the reality of having him put to sleep. It has been 3 weeks without him now. I miss him so much!!!! I sure could use some kind words from a fellow animal lover. Those who do not have pets could never understand what it is like to lose one especially when they were part of the family for so very long. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can ease this sense of loss and pain I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks so much, Staffy..

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss:

Stafania, my name is Cathy and I also lost my 10 year old Golden, Sasha, 5 weeks ago today. It has been very difficult but you will find that this forum, which I found by accident, will be like a form of therapy for you. It helps me remember Sasha by hearing the stories that the other members relate. Someday I will probably get another Golden Retriever but in the mean time I am getting some comfort and somehow feel closer to Sasha by listening to their stories and looking at their pictures. Also you can go to guidepostsmag.com then scroll down a few inches. In the middle of the screen you will see a picture of a Yorkie and the title "Do pets Go to Heaven". Click on that, keep scrolling down through letters from readers--just after the poem about Rocky at the gate you can veiw the original article in Guideposts magazine "Do Pets Go to Heaven" by clicking at left where it tells you to. Keep on keeping on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss! We had to put down our German Shepherd back in November, he was only 4. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make! I still miss him like crazy and still cry over him every now and then!

We got Cooper in January and he has helped heal a lot. Of course, he is not replacing Ranger, but he's brought so much joy into our lives. I know Ranger would have loved him!

I know how much it hurts. And you're right...people who don't own/love dogs just don't understand. The day after we put down Ranger, I went to work and started to cry and people looked at me strange when I told him that my dog died!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry for your loss

Stafania, I am so sorry for your loss.. I do understand how you feel, I had to make a decision to say goodbye to our 12 year old retriever Jessie last year, and I still miss him terribly. We now have a 5 month old male retriever Hudson who is a delight and companion of our 4 year old retriever Asha.Time will heal and later maybe you will decide to get another puppy. Treasure your memories and the joy he brought into your life and know he is at peace.

Ann

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Stafania,Welcome to a great forum.Like many others here we also have lost fur babies.We get much solace from the Rainbow Bridge and have read it at several of our babies burial.Our sincere condolences on your loss.
You will be together again someday and your broken heart will be healed again.
You must believe!!!
Shane

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Rocky was lucky to have a caring owner. So many dogs do not. I am on my 4th and 5th goldens and have had 3 others put to sleep. The only alternative we have is to never have them and that is really not a good option. I still miss Penny, my first golden and have a big picture of her on my wall. Getting a new puppy is not an uncaring thing to do in Rocky's memory. You will find you will love your new pup while still fondly remembering Rocky.
I am sorry for your loss

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.If you wanted to meet people who understand completely your intense pain, you came to the right place. I too lost a 10 yo Golden to cancer 6 months ago this week. He also went down hill incredibly fast (three weeks) The pain was, is, intense and unlike anything I'd ever experienced. When I came home from work that first day after, to a lonely quiet house ,I lost it completely . Even saying his name STILL brings me to tears . I had to stop telling a new acquantaince about him just last week because it was so searing. Everyone has a `forever' dog. Sammy was mine. It sounds like Rocky was yours. God bless you- you are not alone in your hurt.

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Staphania

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our wonderful companion "Molly" 3 1/2 years ago. She was our precious old lady. I cried for days and weeks over Molly. I couldn't get over her. She was one month from 16 and our kids were 17 at the time. Our other dog, Jenny was 10 at the time. I had a lonely heart. My husband surprised me with "Holly" a year later.....a big ball of fluff at 8 weeks and tons of energy. Even though there is a huge age difference. Holly and Jenny get along great. Sometimes I joke that Holly is Molly reincarnated......same quirky personality. Even though I have two goldens(which is a handful), I still have a special place in my heart for Molly. I didn't think I was ready for another one, but my husband's surprise was an incredible gift!!! Give yourself a little time and allow another companion into your life.......you will never regret it! Take care.....

FranH

·
Dakota Bear
103 Posts
I know just how your heart hurts. We lost our Emma (8yrs. old) to Lymphoma 3 months ago. She was sick for six months. Knowing I was losing her almost killed me and my husband. Their love for you is so unconditional and you love them back just as much! I was just talking to a neighbor today and started crying when we got to talking about Emma. I still miss her so very much. My husband said he could never go thru this again (we've done this twice now). Losing Emma and watching her sick was terrible, but I do not for one minute regret ever getting her after my first Golden(Misty) died. She brought us much love, happiness, laughter, companionship. Believe it or not, I am now in the process of getting a pup. My husband thinks I am crazy! No new pup, or no other dog ever replaces the one you have lost - They each have a very special in my heart. I will always love and miss them. There is nothing like the love of dog!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
new puppy

Sorry for your loss, you are making the right decision to get a new puppy...., I have. It is almost a year since we lost Jessie. He will always be so special and remain with me for ever, but Hudson , now 7 months old and Asha 4 years old bring great pleasure to us, I couldn't contemplate life with out our goldens,
Good Luck , look forward to seeing your new addition on this site
Asha and Hudson's Mum

·
Banned
507 Posts
Hi Stefania,
I know how you are feeling It's been a little longer for me to lose our golden girl Dani but it is still fresh enough to bring tears but mostly laughter these days because we talk about her alot with friends and my husband and I.
Dani was our first dog first golden ever and she came to us as a puppy. She was with us for 10.5 years and was pretty healthy or so we thought. What I thought one of these days we would have to put her down for her athritis she had some hard times with that somedays and then some were very good for her. We found out that she had Cancer and it went so fast I didn't know one could go down that fast.
She died 2nd of May 05 and a couple of weeks before we still went hiking and she got to go swimming early this year since we had some hot spring days. Either she didn't have pain until the end or she was holding it in really well because it was just the last week that it was noticable and that there was something wrong with her. When the day came that we had to put her down we were devistated but I don't know if I can explain it well enough but It gave me piece that I knew she didn't have to suffer anymore and I knew what was wrong with her she was so weak I've never seen her like that ever she was always vibrant and loved her walks and fetching the ball and swimming that Seeing her so weak was hell. It was the right thing to do and I'm glad we were there with her to hold and talk to her and you're right a lot of people without dogs/pets would call you nuts but what the heck she was like family too. We brought her ashes home with us and has a special place.
I have a lot of pictures framed of my girl. I was glad I had ZsaZsa at home to greet us when we came home from the Vet she has been a great comfort.
Now ZsaZsa is 10+ years also but in great shape still loves our hikes together and walkes a couple of hours still easly. We decided to bring home a puppy again and on the first of september Bogart came home. He has gotten us all hopping and all the mischief he gets into I'm always thinking now Dani didn't do that when she was a puppy did she?
Dani made me always wanting a dog in my live she was a sweetheart.
I hope that you can soon talk about your pup and smile because this is what happens at our house lots of times now.
Bogart'sMom

·
3 goldens
12,114 Posts
I lost my 12 year old irish Setter to bone cancer 8 years ago. He started limping on the Friday and I thought it was his arthritis. by Monday he was dragging that leg. As soon as our vet saw him, I knew it was bad. He did x-rays and told us it was bone cancer. We could have his leg amputated THAT day, wait a week and then put him to his final sleep, or just wait until he died on his own (which he knew we would never do). Because of age and arthritis, we decided to give him the very best week of his life. He loved to go to "the beach (any water), so I took him fishing with me very day. he chased crabs in shallow water, tried to catch shore birds, swam, and developed a bunny hop. We gave him all the stuff you do not give dogs. He had a severe sweet tooth, and what we had for dessert, he got----banana split, strawberry shortcake, coconut pie. When I took him in at the end of the week, my vet said we didn't need to do it yet. Well, that one week turned into exactly 10 weeks. We went fishing on July 8 and I noticed he seemd to spend a little more time laying around instead of being in the water. The next day he went to get on sofa and fell and there was a knot in his shoulder. I didn't hesitate. I gave him a big bowl of butter pecan ice cream and my son and his wife took him on his final trip to the vet--I couldn't do it, They even bruied him out near son's duck blind so his spirit can chase the crabs and hear the mullet splash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our 12 year old golden this year on April 7. Tasha had a hard time moving around and getting up on her 12th birthday. One week later she lost all movement in her back end and we were faced with the only thing we could do. Weeks later I couldn't face the empty house and had to have another golden. I now have Cassey, a five month old "demon" golden who is the joy of your lives. I still cry openly when I think of Tasha but Cassey is helping me get over my grief.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well,what can I say,I understand all too well the pain of losing an member of the family.My condolances to all of you who have lost a loved one.
You must concentrate on the good times and celebrate the time you had together.The Love never dies and the soul that moved on from this world is still filled with the Love you gave it.
Someday you will meet at the Bridge and once again bask in the aura of love that will envelope you.
This you MUST Believe,
Shane

·
Registered
29 Posts
Losing your puppy....

Stafania said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Stafania and I am from Western New York. I jus lost my Golden Retriever Rocky of 10 years to Bone Cancer and needless to say I am devastated. I do not know what to do. I swear I hear him walking in the kitchen and on the hard wood floors in the dinning room. I dream of him running to me with his favorite stuffed tiger in his mouth begging me to play with him. Rocky was diagnosed with Bone Cancer and it only took a month for him to go down hill so fast that I was suddenly faced with the reality of having him put to sleep. It has been 3 weeks without him now. I miss him so much!!!! I sure could use some kind words from a fellow animal lover. Those who do not have pets could never understand what it is like to lose one especially when they were part of the family for so very long. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can ease this sense of loss and pain I would greatly appriciate it. Thanks so much, Staffy..

I don't know what to say really. I'm 47 years old and by this time in my life I've had and lost many pets. When I was living at home with parents I was a cat person, because my mom didn't like dogs, and now that I'm an adult I tend to have dogs as pets. To complicate matters I don't have any children, so my pets become surrogate kids, and it's kinda hard, because I have had to put them down before. But this is the reality of the situation: our lifespan is so much longer than a dogs/cats that it's inevitable they will go before us. It took me a long time to accept that! And that doesn't mean that I don't grieve. And each pet is different. But my 17 year old Siamese cat who died, well, I found myself staring into the refrigerator and crying one day and then I said: enough! I can't let any animals death put my life and happiness in jeapardy, especially when they had a FULL life span, or nearly so. I think you should take an hour or so each day to think about the good times you had with him, and make a promise to yourself not to think about him otherwise. If you can compartmentalize yourself a bit, it's easier to work through the grief, without having it interfere.

Hugs!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your life was made richer by your sweet baby, and I know Rocky must have lived a full and happy life. You will always have your wonderful memories. We had to put down our 14 year old golden girl, Chelsea, 2 1/2 years ago. Sometimes I still dream of her, but this always makes me smile now, although I, too, had a broken heart for quite some time. We haven't added another pup yet, but we are starting to think about it. The house has been a little too quiet and empty, and we probably need to remedy that soon. You will shed some tears, but remember how blessed you and Rocky were to have each other for 10 years, and you will be able to smile, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stafania, loosing a pet is the downside of pet ownership. We lost our Sam to cancer after 14 1/2 years. He passed on Sept. 17 of this year. It still hurts as much today as it did the day we lost him but I know things will get better for us as it will for you. Have you considered a puppy or rescue, not to replace your dog but to help fill the void that is left? We're scheduled for our puppy in June. Hang in there and don't hesitate to post here. There are some very compassionate people here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts