Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Kristie - GQ's Mom...
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GQ was exactly 10 years and 5 days when he passed this morning - Out of nowhere on Monday he was rushed to the hospital for an emergency splinectomy - and heartbreaking news that it was cancerous - he made it through the surgery and they gave him 2 months to live - he was JUST jumping around playing last week, I dont understand....He went into cardiac arrest this morning and they couldnt bring him back - he was going to come home tonight - I thought we would have some time togehter and he would pass with me at home - I am aching that he wasnt with me and his last days were in a hospital...does he think I left him - I spent 7000 dollars and would mortgage my house to keep him alive....my heart is broken, I am lost - for 10 years this dog has been my everything, when everything else comes and goes in life, my little G was always there - how am I going to live day to day without him - I cant even function - will this get any easier??? It helps to talk about it, to anyone who listens, thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I am so sorry. Its especially tough when it is unexpected. Your little G is wagging his tail, playing and waiting at the bridge. My thoughts are with you and hope you heal soon.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
He was a beautiful boy. I don't believe that he would think you abandoned him! You loved him and were doing what you could to save him. Please don't punish yourself with "what ifs".

I'm so very, very sorry for your loss. No matter how old they are when they leave us, it was never enough time. That's the trade off for the pure, unending love a dog has for its people. And despite the pain it's worth it to get to have them in our lives for such a magical brief time.

It helps some people to share with us the wonderful times you had with your beloved pet. We'd love to know more about him when you're ready. Please take care and godspeed, GQ.

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
I am so sorry. My dearly deparrted Jean-luc passed away of the exact same thing @ 17 years of age in Jan of 08.

He didn't have a heart attack.... but he did have the same cancer of the spleen. Jean-luc lost weight like no tomorrow.... I was even hand feeding him baby food at the end... then... he got to where he would even eat that.... I finally had no choice but to have him put to sleep or watch him starve to death.... which I couldn't do that.

I know you are very sad.... and I know no words I could say could ever make the heartache go away.... but you will find your own way to deal with the loss of your golden friend.

For myself.... I was really upset when Jean-luc passed.... I didn't even go to work for a week.(Lucky I work where I could do that.) During one of those nights... I was so upsat.... I just started looking at puppy photos on the internet and by chance found a local breeder that recently had a litter of pups.... by chance she had one golden puppy left....a male. I met with her to see the puppy and when I saw him.... I knew right then I just had to have him.... he looked just like my Jean-luc did as a puppy.

I took him home right then..... for me... the new puppy was what I needed. Even the breeder said it must have been fate that brought me to my new puppy.

Looking so much like Jean-luc did.... I even named the new puppy Jean-luc, jr in his honnor.

Junior had his first birthday yesterday..... I do still miss my Jean-luc but Junior is a very good puppy and I could not have ask for a better puppy to fill my heart.

I hope you find another pup to fill your heart.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your sweet boy. He loved you and knew you were doing everything in your power to take care of him - like you had for 10 years prior. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
All i can say is im so very sorry about your loss. My Jack is only 3 years old and graying slightly on his lower mouth and im freaking out about it knowing hes getting older. Reading your post made me cry cause i cant even imagine what u are going through. :( Things will get better, and you just need to remember all the happy times you had together and be thankful that he was part of your life for 10 years. He loves you and is looking down on you and wants you to be happy, hes not gone..he lives in your heart forever

·
Kristie - GQ's Mom...
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This site and all you awesome people have made me the calmest ive been all day - I cant thank each and every one of you enough - I have a feeling I will be living here for a while.....

·
Kristie - GQ's Mom...
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To my G (because I am a dork and I had to post this)

"I thought of you with love today but that is nothing new, I thought about you yesterday and days before that too. I think of you in silence, I often speak your name, all I have are memories and your picture in a frame. Your memory is my keepsake with which I'll NEVER part, God has you in His keeping, but I have you in my heart"

"I don't know how I'll go on, without you day to day. You have been my constant when all other things have gone away. We shared a special bond with you ALWAYS by my side, I love you so much "G" that words just can't describe. As long as you can fathom as best that dogs can do, that you mean so much to me that I ache when I think of you"

My Beloved G-Boo - My Best Friend - I will cherish our special connection always......

love mommy.....

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
This is a very sad story. I understand how you feel. When you have a dog for that long, you have a plan for how things will go, and that definitely was not it. I'm so sorry, so so sorry.

I love the picture you posted here. He's beautiful and he will always be yours.

I'm glad you shared. I hope you come back and that you find some solace here as you work your way through this. I know the loss is uniquely yours but all of us here want to do whatever we can to make the road ahead a little bit easier for you. You've come to the right place.

{{{hugs}}}

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry you loss your special friend and companion, a beautiful photo and tribute to him. Thankyou for sharing, it helps to share and we understand your loss and pain.
RIP GQ

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Talking does make it easier and feel free to talk about it. I won't tell you about my loses with dogs, this is about yours. GQ filled your life, his passing leaves an empty place in that life. Rest assured that GQ knew you were doing everything possible to keep him going. Our dogs all reach the point in their lives when life can no longer be happy for them, then it is time to do the right thing even though we know it comes with much heartache. Dogs that are truly loved and are a part of us are the dogs that are released from our care in an unselfish manner. Your dog was loved and allowed to go home to wait for you. If you need to talk, I will always listen.
Just remember all the love and devotion.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
GQ's white face looks so distinguished and wise against his gorgeous dark coat. He tugs at my heartstrings. I am so sorry for your loss of your dear old friend. It sounds like he had hemangiosarcoma, something that takes too many of our goldens away. It takes so long to feel better, but it does happen that suddenly the good memories become larger than the sense of loss. Maybe you could tell us a few stories about GQ?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My heart aches for you. I do understand. My heart dog is 11 years old and when I lose him I will not be able to function most likely. When I lost the Golden in my avatar, who was 13, I thought I might die from the pain. He got me through all those teenage years. There is nothing like our dogs... your boy was absolutely gorgeous. When you feel up to it, share pictures and memories; he will never be forgotten. And if anyone says, "it was just a dog" you know that person has missed out on the greatest thing and feel sorry for them.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I am so very sorry. He may have had hemangiosarcoma. It so hard to lose them.

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.​

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I am so sorry about the loss of your beautiful boy. I hope you find some comfort and friendship here with people who understand. When you are ready we would love to hear more about him.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your beautiful boy. He looks so much like my Bridge Boy Sam, it brought tears just to see his picture. Sam was loving life and experiencing a rejuvenation period until that sad January morning in '07, a Friday...by Monday we had to help him to the Bridge. Your boy had a happy life until the very end...that's a blessing. He didn't have to suffer. Feel free to cry, share, or vent. We understand.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts