Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My handsome boy, Sammy, is a 11 year old purebred golden retriever. He has always been a very very quiet dog. He rarely ever barks!! All of the sudden he has began to growl and let a bark out while he is laying down. I am not sure if its neurological or out of his control. I have recorded him doing it and I have attached a link to this post. Let me know if you have experienced this or heard of this happening before. He does not need food, water, or to go out. He does this very randomly and I am not sure if he is in pain. I wish he could just tell me what's wrong....haha well don't we all. :/

Link is below!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh my, that sounds just like Watson! The 'yelp' for no reason, is for SOME reason. It's not a cry of pain, but he's talking to you. Watson does this a lot these days, but he's almost 13 and terminal cancer. We are always wondering if he's in pain, but he stops if we sit with him and love on him. He also does this if he thinks we are doing something without him, if I go upstairs (without him) or go outside (without him) or god forbid, go to the car...without him. A vet check, of course, is always in order if you think something isn't normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Watson's Mom! So crazy you see this in Watson too. Sammy also stops his "yelp" when we sit with him and show him love. This very interesting! I will be calling the vet later today just to make sure he is okay.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Aidan makes those exact noises when he’s dreaming... I’ll be curious to hear if you find anything out. My 1st thought was he looked like he was sleeping with his eyes open. Aidan does that on occasion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help! Sammy is doing great. He just visited the vet a few days ago and the "yelp" was because of his anal glands. His anal glands were full and irritated, & they needed to be expressed. When realized this when we touched near his butt, he cried and squirmed. It looks like sammy's bark was for a reason! He has not acted strange since then. Thank you all for your concern. Enjoy this photo of handsome sammy :)

·
Super Moderator
4,289 Posts
Aw a peaceful pup. Glad you got this sorted out!

Reactions: ChelseaAlice
1 - 11 of 11 Posts