Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a golden retriever pup, named Mochi. She will be 2 years old in June. When I got her back in August 2019 she had a really black nose. Her nose started to turn slightly pink that December. It never went back to a black color and the next December it got even more pink. Her nose is now pretty much completely pink. I was looking in to Snow Nose but it says that the nose should darken back up in the spring/summer. Is this normal?
Pic description:
This is her nose the first winter I had her, then the second winter, and what her nose looks like right now.

·
Kate
22,723 Posts
Pigment is very hereditary.

If a breeder is not actively working their rear off to keep that black nose pigment in what they breed - it's very easy to lose it. I think snow nose is viewed as something completely different when it really is all the same thing with some dogs.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What Kate said^^

Your girl's pigment is just not deep enough to stay black year round. Some dogs never go back to that dark black and every dog is different.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's called snow nose because the nose lightens over the winter. As the days get longer, it will usually get darker, but often, every year it will get less and less dark. No big deal, unless you want to show in conformation, and sometimes those noses are "artificially" darkened.

Reactions: LucyNoble

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
Agree with Megora, its hereditary. My girl's nose started turning pink as well when she was 2 ( and I live in the tropics we do not have winter and our temperature is pretty constant year round so i highly doubt its snow nose!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts