Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old Golden started having seizures after having surgery a month ago. He never had them prior. He is now on gabapentin daily and diazapam (as needed is he has a seizure.) I have been noticing a gradual lack of coordination when he walks, tries to lay down and relieve himself. It is worse today. I called the vet who instructed me to decrease his am dose from 200mg to 100mg. To continue with his midday dose 100mg and pm dose 200mg. Does anyone have a dog on gabapentin? Did anyone experience similar symptoms in their dog? His blood work was normal prior and after surgery. I scheduled an appointment with a neurologist at Tufts Veterinary Hospital next tuesday. I have been so worried over this. Thanks for the input.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I hope the Tuft's Neurologist can fix your guy up.

Could he have become hypoxic (brain did not get enough oxygen) during the procedure? My mom's coworkers poodle had this happen during dental and the dog now has seizures. The vet eventually agreed that this did occur and is paying most of the vet bills because they did not informed the owner when it occurred.

Reactions: teddyobear

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning all,
This weekend was a seizure free weekend for our Teddy. Saturday was the day to decrease the gabapentin morning dose from 200mg to 100 mg. We still assisted him going down the stairs, but it was minimal. We gradually noticed that Teddy was showing improvement in his gate and getting up. He still has little twitch/blinking of eyes going on. Today, Teddy would not even wait for me to assist him going down the stairs; he ran down them with no problem! Yesterday he was very unstable lifting his leg to relieve himself, today, so far no instability. Going up the stairs has improved as well. I wonder if the gabapentin has contributed to the seizures and twitching considering he has shown improvement on a lower dose of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to (Mika's) reply concerning lack of oxygen during surgery; that is a possibility along with the anesthesia give and post op medication of previcox. My holistic vet ( whom did not do the surgery,) was feeling that once the medications were out of his system, we could gradually wean Teddy off the gabapentin. We also know that a side effect of previcox can be seizures. Same thing with the gabapentin. This is such a touchy situation and balancing act with the medications. Speaking to my neighbor, she informed me that her dog and cat had spay/neuter operations and since the surgery, both suffer seizures.She had the same vet perform the surgeries.. different species same end result, seizures. Basically, I hope and pray that the seizures will stop completely.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I hope your Teddy makes a full recovery. I think I would be changing vets. 3 strikes your out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually have 3 different veterinarians. My neighbor it the one with the dog and cat who now suffer seizures.
I have a holistic vet that is local and very good. And, 2 other vets that are not in the area. I also give Teddy calcium, magnesium, d3, potassium and flax seed oil along with a b-complex vitamin. All to keep his immune system strong. Plus the Calcium is for calming the nerves and muscle along with brain health. Hoping that all this helps to stop the seizures.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I actually have 3 different veterinarians. My neighbor it the one with the dog and cat who now suffer seizures.
I have a holistic vet that is local and very good. And, 2 other vets that are not in the area. I also give Teddy calcium, magnesium, d3, potassium and flax seed oil along with a b-complex vitamin. All to keep his immune system strong. Plus the Calcium is for calming the nerves and muscle along with brain health. Hoping that all this helps to stop the seizures.
Oops. I thought you used the same vet as the neighbor for the minor procedure.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mika, can you ask your Mom what her co-workers poodles symptoms were after the surgery and how many days after the surgery they came on?
Has anyone else had the same thing happen to their dogs after surgery?
Thanks.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Mika, can you ask your Mom what her co-workers poodles symptoms were after the surgery and how many days after the surgery they came on?
Has anyone else had the same thing happen to their dogs after surgery?
Thanks.
I will ask her to find out and let you know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took Teddy to Tufts yesterday. He passed all neurological test. Lymph nodes were normal, heart rate normal, no spleen enlargement. Dr. does not feel that he has a brain tumor. The consensus was the anesthesia triggered a mini stroke which is now causing the seizures. Dr. was able to see small focal seizures while in at the vet. Also the incision is still healing so some of the twitching could be the nerves healing. We are weaning him off the gabapentin and just introduced zonisamide. If he is seizure free for 6mos than we can wean him off and hope that he does not have any future seizures.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
...We are weaning him off the gabapentin and just introduced zonisamide. If he is seizure free for 6mos than we can wean him off and hope that he does not have any future seizures.
When Charlie was put on zonisamide, the neurologist told us to do price comparison and he was pretty sure that we would get the best from Costco. That advice saved us a fortune. For members, the Costco price for Charlie's monthly zonisamide was $55 for 4x100mg capsules twice a day. I found it online for over $100 at pet pharmacies and more than $400/month at other pharmacies. If there is not a Costco near you, try their online pharmacy. And you don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy, though the prices are lower if you join. (I joined just for Charlie's meds.)

I so hope this works for your sweet boy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Teddy did not do well on the zonisamide that Tufts prescribed. They had me give it to him in conjunction with the gabapentin until the weaning process was complete. He only had 2 doses. He was very sick and the worse we ever seen him since his surgery on 5/8/12. My gut told me that it was in Teddy's best interest to discontinue the zonisamide. So I did. He is doing 100% better now.
I ask my GRF friends if they can tell me what a focal seizure looks like? I looked on some of the sites that had videos of them, but have yet to see the type that my Golden has. Remember he had a small lump removed on his face and 4 nerves were effected. I am beginning to think the eye twitch is from the nerve endings healing. They were pronounced immediately after the surgery and now barely noticeable. The neurologist did not see them until 2 1/2 hr. into our visit. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the website, Dave. I am on it now and it is very informative. Thanks and I hope your Golden fur kid stays healthy.
Today marks 14 days for our Teddy and no surprises. I don't mention the word. Puts a knot in my stomach. He is doing well. Hope he continues to stay well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 12 year old Golden started having seizures after having surgery a month ago. He never had them prior. He is now on gabapentin daily and diazapam (as needed is he has a seizure.) I have been noticing a gradual lack of coordination when he walks, tries to lay down and relieve himself. It is worse today. I called the vet who instructed me to decrease his am dose from 200mg to 100mg. To continue with his midday dose 100mg and pm dose 200mg. Does anyone have a dog on gabapentin? Did anyone experience similar symptoms in their dog? His blood work was normal prior and after surgery. I scheduled an appointment with a neurologist at Tufts Veterinary Hospital next tuesday. I have been so worried over this. Thanks for the input.
Yes my tiny chihuahau only 5 yrs old had to have all his teeth pulled a week ago came home from work and found him seizing and foaming out the mouth a week after dental surgery and now he is gone I'm so heartbroken over this.
Janell/Texas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts