Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My Golden Retriever is around 10 weeks old, and is an excellent, well behaved, well potty trained puppy during the day. He sleeps frequently as to be expected for GR puppies, is playful, etc. However, at night, he becomes extremely restless and has trouble getting comfortable. In addition, he has been throwing up (digested puppy kibble, no signs of blood or anything too alarming) and going #2 2-3 times at night. He has been both in an enclosed crate, as well as allowed to roam within the confines of a kennel during the night (we have been trying both set ups to see what works best).

Is anyone experiencing a similar pattern with their GR puppy? To me it almost seems like a level of stress / anxiety when the lights are off and its time to go to sleep. We have tried to adjust his food, timing of when he eats, and his crate set up, however we have not yet found a good solution yet. Any advice or help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does he sleep in your bedroom at night? Any theories about what may be making him anxious at night? An anxious and/or active dog will feel the need to move his bowels more frequently. As long as you aren't feeding him really close to bed time, I would look at anxiety as the potential cause of the BMs first...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Luna always had multiple nighttime episodes of diarrhea when she had giardia. Bring a fresh stool sample to your vet and ask them to do an ELISA test for giardia - the standard fecal float test will miss giardia if it doesn't happen to be in a specific stage of its life cycle so don't waste your time and money. Tell them it has to be ELISA test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! We feed him around 6pm each night around a 1/2 cup. 1 cup in the AM, 3/4 cup at lunch as well. We had a good night last night - seems like he is taking well to the crate and no bowel movements / throwing up. Will update the chat if issues arisen again - fingers crossed they do not. Appreciate your inputs!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts