Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She's seems to be of mixed brred. Do you have a guess?

Hello everyone. I have a golden retriever, but she has many white markings (4 full white toes, and big patch of white in face) She's s still a puppy, but sometimes her tail is very curly, almost like a husky.
My dad bought her in a place where they sell dogs, he didn't saw her parents or sisters.
She seems really golden light, by the way she's 1 1/2 month. (i know she's way to young to leave her mother, but well, my dad choose her, he didn't knew)
My question is: Should I breed her with a solid, normal color and shape male, to "improve" her puppies, or it's better to spay her?
I don't care about pedigree, I only care about the breed's normal standard.

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
What would the point in breeding her be? Are you looking to become a breeder and using her as a foundation bitch for your program? If yes, there a more questions to ask and contemplate and I'd be happy to put my two cents in there. If no, then there is no point in breeding her ever and it would make more sense to spay her to avoid accidental litters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, I actually want to become a breeder. Do you think is better to spay, or with a good male, they can breed better puppies.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Being as you don't know her pedigree and don't have a a good family history, the only ethical thing to do would be to spay her . That is without taking into account the white color markings.

She would not be a good bitch to start your breeding program with based on your information given.

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
I tried to think of a nice way to say this, but couldn’t, so here goes: this puppy is not a purebred Golden. Goldens do not have white markings on their face like that. Ever. They do not have the genes for it.

·
Registered
8,289 Posts
Indeed, I actually want to become a breeder. Do you think is better to spay, or with a good male, they can breed better puppies.
I think this puppy in particular would be a bad choice for a foundation bitch. You would be better served to get a well bred puppy from a reputable breeder (one with health clearances and a traceable family history), and get all of her clearances when she turns 2 years old (hips and elbows x-rayed and submitted to OFA, heart cleared by a cardiologist and submitted to OFA, eyes cleared by an ophthalmologist every year and submitted to OFA) then see what can be improved on with her. This means you'll likely go through 2-3 heat cycles depending on the bitch before she can be bred.

Idk where abouts you are (if you are in Mexico or not) and google isn't showing me much re: GR clubs in the country but there is a FB group about it in Mexico City. Link: Log In or Sign Up to View They might be a better resource for your location.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You need to start with both a good female and a good male.
You need a mentor
Registration
Pedigree
Dna
Testing done on both male and female (whatever they do in your country)
A female and male both meeting breed standards
And that is just a start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspected so, she has an extremely curly tail. What mixed breed you think she is? Do you think she's part golden?

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
She may be part Golden, but it is hard to tell with puppies sometimes.

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
I suspected so, she has an extremely curly tail. What mixed breed you think she is? Do you think she's part golden?
Really can't tell from those pictures. Do you have any of her standing up?

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
When you have more pictures of her you could post them and see if anyone has a guess on a breed mix. She is very small, I would guess she is a small breed mix.

·
Premium Member
18,608 Posts
Most definitely do not breed her. She is not a Golden Retriever, adding more mix breed dogs to the world is really not a good idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts