Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old golden, weighs 30 pounds and her coat looks generally like a labrador and tail just starts growing some curly hair that does not fluff even if you brush it. My vet said according to the chart the way her body looks is ideal but is it just me or is her weight really low for her age. And when does her hair start getting fluffy and full, she was real fluffy and full when she was about 3 months.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
They don't all bloom at the same age but most start to feather out around 6 or seven months but they don't get their full golden coat until they are a full 2 year old. Please post a picture of your pup.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Exactly what Rob said. 30 pounds at 5 months sounds just about right to me. You really want to keep her lean and prevent her from packing on the pounds. Slow growth is ideal. Retrievers are very prone to obesity and you want to do everything you can to prevent that. Goldens don't get their full adult coat and feathering until they are about 2 years old and some even take a bit longer. There are going to be times when she looks more like a lab. That's part of the growing and maturing process. Our almost 18-month-old isn't even close to having his full adult coat yet. Your dog is still a puppy at just 5 months and still has a looooong way to go. Also remember that females are generally a bit smaller than males.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's one of Zep around that age...i tried to find one where you could see his tail...not easy seeing as he was usually sitting down! Lazy boy! Does the coat look familiar? I was surprised how long it took for his hair to get longer too.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other thing I noticed also is last Thusday and Friday we went out of town and placed her in petsmart's petshotel. When I checked her out last Saturday she had been having loose stools at night. She would have formed stools all day and at night around 8 pm she would 3-4 more loose stools until her stomach is empty. She did the same thing last night too. No blood was seen and her energy level is still the same and this morning her stools are normal again. I don't about tonight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's one of Zep around that age...i tried to find one where you could see his tail...not easy seeing as he was usually sitting down! Lazy boy! Does the coat look familiar? I was surprised how long it took for his hair to get longer too.
How old is Zep now, and do you have recent pictures?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
When we first rescued our Rusty at 7 mos. he had hardly any feathering at all, he looked much like your baby. He didn't get his thick, long coat until he was around 5 years old. I thought he would never get beautiful feathers or a big plumy tail but when that coat came in it was gorgeous! And his tail was one of fullest I've ever seen on a Golden. This may sound weird to some people but when he passed away we cut some hair off his tail to put with his ashes, we just loved his beautiful tail.

One of our newest rescues, Dusty, is around two and doesn't have a lot of feathering yet but we're hoping he's just a late bloomer like Rusty.

Your little girl is absolutely adorable, what a sweet face!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would get her to the vet to treat the loose stools if it happens again. It could be a bug that she picked up at the pet hotel. And her being a puppy you dont want her to get dehyrated.
She looks like a normal puppy to me, so I wouldnt worry about the small size. Did you see her parents and do you remember if they were larger or smaller and their coat? Some goldens are smaller. And the coat looks normal, it takes a while for the coat to come in fuller with feathering.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
When she was in boarding, did you drop off her food or did she eat what they had available...if the food was different, the loose stools could be attributed to the food change.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Ooh, this could be fun! Jersey at 5 months and again at 4 years:

Julie and Jersey

PS~ Don't laugh at his silly collar... we were trying to get some pictures for our Christmas card. This was one of the outtakes, but shows a pretty decent full body shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would get her to the vet to treat the loose stools if it happens again. It could be a bug that she picked up at the pet hotel. And her being a puppy you dont want her to get dehyrated.
She looks like a normal puppy to me, so I wouldnt worry about the small size. Did you see her parents and do you remember if they were larger or smaller and their coat? Some goldens are smaller. And the coat looks normal, it takes a while for the coat to come in fuller with feathering.
For today no loose stools but it seem to be soft to formed but he only had BM for today and it was a pretty good amount. She drinks a lot of fluids and is very energetic. I would have to monitor her output. Thanks.
And she was born in minnesotta and I bought her in California, so I never really did see her parents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When she was in boarding, did you drop off her food or did she eat what they had available...if the food was different, the loose stools could be attributed to the food change.
At Petsmart they said they had science diet which is what she eats but I am not sure if they fed her the one for puppies HMMMMM I need to call and ask. Thanks.

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Here is my little girl. I just took this tonight she is a little over 5 months. I believe she weighs about 43 pounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Flip was 30 pounds at 5 months also. He will be a smaller golden but nothing abnormal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts