Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kristy
10,252 Posts
Why do you think boots will help? How about giving some background on how old your dog is, when this started etc. He may need meds from the vet to get to the bottom of the problem. If you don't treat the itching it won't get better for him.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Biting at the feet is usually a yeast infection, usually caused by a food allergy or some physical reason. Worth a vet visit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
full disclosure, he's not my dog. he's my sister's and i am posting this on her behalf.

if the vet is what he needs to see then we will make that happen.

he had been biting his back paws and now he is in pain and crying. she thought boots were the solution. reading these posts, i now disagree entirely.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
One of the very first signs Chloe was sensitive to chicken was her licking her paws.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Last summer, Jon was biting his paw. I checked & found one grass seed between his paw pad. Luckly, I could remove it then went to see a vet for making sure nothing going on.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,837 Posts
I agree a trip to the Vet is needed.

If you pick up a bottle of Veterciyn spray for dogs and spray on his feet, this may give him some relief until he's seen by the Vet. You can buy it a PetsMart and Petco. My Vet clinic uses it and recommended it. I keep a bottle on hand for minor skin scrapes and irritations.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
For sure you need to get to the root of the problem, not just cover it up with boots. In fact, that would probably make it worse.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Hope you were able to see the Vet. Definitely agree with everyone above - sounds like some sort of yeast infection. It can hurt so much they limp like they have sprained an ankle. We used to go through this with one of our Goldens. A trip to the vet for some meds was usually the first move to get it back under control. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts