Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9month old Golden retriever called Simba. Hes lively and a bit giddy but we cant get over how smart he is!. He was so easy train and he only wet the floor twice, and that was it. He has picked up on so many words that its crazy. He knows all the basic words like sit, stay, come, get the ball, e.t.c, but he has also picked up on other words too. We cant say the words:
1. car any more or he is at the door ready to go!
2. Beach or he is at the door.
3.If you ask him if he wants a drink he will go to his bowl
4. If we ask him if hes hungry he will go the bowl
5. He gets so excited when we ask him "would you like something nice" Oh he runs to the press where we keep his treats.

I also work with children who i use sign language with and i thought i would try some with Simba to see if he would pick up on them and he did!!. The ones i used were "Good Boy" , "toilet" and " I'm angry". He has learned them and so if he jumps up on me or pulls on the lead i just have tp make the sign for "im angry" and he will stop pulling. Also if he does something good or is playing in his bed i will sign "good boy" and he knows that i am happy with him! Hopefully, he will never go deaf but if he does i will still be able to communicate with him. I think its just amazing how quick he learned all the words and the signs too. I love him to bits!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of having a Golden in your life. They are so quick to pick up commands, they just want to please you. I've always said if I'd know what it was like to own a Golden I would of had goldens years ago.

·
rose
497 Posts
ive always used hand signals with arnie too he is these days at 13.5 years is as deaf as a post but still responds to the hand gestures

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They can just amaze you every day with how smart they are. Way to go Simba keep up the good work.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Oh, you are brilliant and I will forever be indebted to you. Dogs are much more oriented toward handling visual cues than verbal ones. I have been struggling with ways to continuously add more hand signals as I train our 7 month old. I am going to have to look at sign language as an aid.

Thanks so much for posting this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts