Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little 3 yo golden is getting mouthy.. she is starting to tear apart slippers, gloves, anything she can get her mouth on.

We rescued her a year ago, and she was shy; since she was basically used as a breeder by her owners.. she had two litters by the time she was two.

We have trained her with the help of a professional trainer to be my service dog, and sometimes I can't get out due to the weather being inclement, muddy around my area.. and way too windy and way too wet for me to take her out in.

I've found her in the last week or so starting to chew on my slippers, and when I tell her to stop, she does.. however she found my gloves on the floor and she started ripping the tag out of them... she stopped when I told her quietly to stop doing that. She has toys, but she just shreds them all, and loves to do that. There is only one toy that she hasn't shredded to pieces. I guess she just loves that one the best ?? :)

Thoughts? I'm thinking that she is still just coming into her own, her own GR personality, and that we will see more and more of the GR coming out.

Thanks for advice.. she is so sweet and loving, that I don't mind.. she loves her family and I promise I'll get her out more and walk more.. I just have balance issues that I'm a little concerned that I would slip and fall in the slippy mud.

Wait.. just thought of something.. we had twin grand-baby girls born and we have helping a lot with them.. I wonder if she is jealous of them..??

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Goldens just have this thing about ripping things up, especially their toys. Some toys last longer than others, and in the winter I find that we go through more of them.

Can you play fetch in the house to keep her busy on the days that she cannot go out?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I was kind of lucky with Comet. If it involved a tennis ball, he was happy about it.

We used to play catch. He would sit about 3 feet away from me and I'd toss him the ball, and he's reach up and snap it out of the air.

It was silly simple, but he absolutely loved it. He could do it for hours.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Maybe on the windy cold days, work on some of her obedience training. Train her to do new tricks or things that might help you. Tire her out by hiding a favorite toy or treats and have her go find it. A game of hide and seek.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I wouldn't allow her to rip apart her toys. She doesn't know the difference between her toys and your things; which things are okay to tear apart and which aren't. If she understands she just can't do it to anything, then it will be clear in her mind. Dogs need rules in black and white.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts