Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

My golden is experiencing her first heat

398 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Searsco
I never had a female holden before. My golden is 9 months old and experiencing her first heat. We are in our fifth day when she just started bleeding a little. My question is do you recommend using diapers? I bought some but she eats everything so I’m not sure she would like having them on. Also her appetite is weak. Do you have any recommendations for her care during this first heat. I plan on getting her neutered at 12 months based on the advice of her vet. Thanks so much!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,468 Posts
I never had a female holden before. My golden is 9 months old and experiencing her first heat. We are in our fifth day when she just started bleeding a little. My question is do you recommend using diapers? I bought some but she eats everything so I’m not sure she would like having them on. Also her appetite is weak. Do you have any recommendations for her care during this first heat. I plan on getting her neutered at 12 months based on the advice of her vet. Thanks so much!
If you don’t mind cleaning up after her, she doesn’t have to wear a diaper. She’ll eat when she’s hungry, lots of girls go off their food a bit during this time.

Importantly, she is not done with her heat when she stops bleeding. No dog parks, group meets, etc for 21 days. After her heat, keep an eye out for lethargy, possibly pustulous vaginal discharge, etc.

· Registered
8 Posts
When my golden had her first heat, I bought a little washable diaper from Petsmart. I didn’t line it with anything, just washed it as needed. She didn’t mess with it and didn’t bleed enough to where it was a big issue. We called it her “sensible brief” haha
I was surprised how tired she was. I let her nap as much as she needed.
Good luck!

· Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I think how much a dog bleeds can vary a lot from dog to dog. I know many who say their dog hardly bleeds at all and that the dog does a good job at keeping themselves clean. When my dog had her first heat, she bled fairly heavily, so I bought a couple of pairs of fabric dog panties (and added a panty liner when she was particularly heavy). I second the warning that the end of the bleeding does not necessarily mean the end of the heat! You need to be careful for AT LEAST 21 days (and you might want to go a bit beyond that just to be safe)...

· Registered
8,339 Posts
Both my girls don't wear diapers when in season. They bleed a little (mostly when they get up from a nap, which I can sympathize with) but keep it mostly clean. If some blood gets on the rug or the floor or the couch, we just use peroxide to saturate the area and then dab the spot dry with a clean rag. We also have a little spot cleaner machine that we can use if need be. If we're worried about the couch (or bed if we're going to snuggle), we'll lay a couple towels down before she climbs up.

My rule of thumb is to just give her space. Sometimes she wants to be left alone and sometimes she is very clingy. If she is clingy I try to rub her back and belly in case she gets cramps (idk if dogs do but I figure I'd like it so I do it for her). Sometimes she gets dried blood on her pants or tail feathers, so I just soak it with a little spray bottle of water and them towel her dry in those areas (no need to bath the whole dog mid-season, imo). And then at the end, when all is said and done, we do usually give her a bath.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
I don't use diapers. We have leather furniture and wood floors, and I just put a thick blanket across our bed where she usually sleeps.

· Registered
28 Posts
My girl went through heat recently and we used men’s underwear with panty liners to keep things contained. She bled pretty heavily and wasn’t diligent in cleaning herself. We fished her tail through the hole of the underwear and used a binder clip to keep it tight along her waist. She didn’t mind it. She did not like dog diapers and liked to tear at them.
Dog Couch Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

· Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
I don’t use diapers either. I couldn’t imagine taking them on and off constantly throughout the day, and a lot of dogs don’t like wearing them. If you have carpet, I’m sure you’ll want to try them though.

· Registered
45 Posts
I too am a first-time owner of a female, and it was an adjustment.
My #1 rule was to NEVER leave Bobby unattended when she as in heat, when she wasn't with me she was in her kennel.
I used doggy diapers once, but I found it made her messier and I had to spend more time cleaning her after I took them off. We have tile and wood floors with 2 carpeted rooms, so I just got 2 big reusable pet pads and put them around the house. At night (and when I was at work) she slept in her kennel in my room.
You should keep her away from other dogs for a month, and look for symptoms of pyro after she comes out of heat.
Bobby is a very picky eater and would go off her food almost completely, I remember one time taking her to the vet right after she came out of heat, for a weigh-in, and she was 43lbs 😬.
I just got her spayed in October and while she will forever be my heart dog, my next puppy is going to be a male :p

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don’t mind cleaning up after her, she doesn’t have to wear a diaper. She’ll eat when she’s hungry, lots of girls go off their food a bit during this time.

Importantly, she is not done with her heat when she stops bleeding. No dog parks, group meets, etc for 21 days. After her heat, keep an eye out for lethargy, possibly pustulous vaginal discharge, etc.
My #1 rule was to NEVER leave Bobby unattended when she as in heat, when she wasn't with me she was in her kennel.
I used doggy diapers once, but I found it made her messier and I had to spend more time cleaning her after I took them off. We have tile and wood floors with 2 carpeted rooms, so I just got 2 big reusable pet pads and put them around the house. At night (and when I was at work) she slept in her kennel in my room.
You should keep her away from other dogs for a month, and look for symptoms of pyro after she comes out of heat.
Bobby is a very picky eater and would go off her food almost completely, I remember one time taking her to the vet right after she came out of heat, for a weigh-in, and she was 43lbs 😬.
I just got her spayed in October and while she will forever be my heart dog, my next puppy is going to be a male :p
Thank you for your advice!
My girl went through heat recently and we used men’s underwear with panty liners to keep things contained. She bled pretty heavily and wasn’t diligent in cleaning herself. We fished her tail through the hole of the underwear and used a binder clip to keep it tight along her waist. She didn’t mind it. She did not like dog diapers and liked to tear at them. View attachment 899594
Great idea. I just bought a few reusables without inserts. She hated it when we first put it on her but now seems to be getting used to it. Thx

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much. I have noticed that her appetite isn’t as hearty as it used to be. I will look for symptoms of pyro. Thx

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When my golden had her first heat, I bought a little washable diaper from Petsmart. I didn’t line it with anything, just washed it as needed. She didn’t mess with it and didn’t bleed enough to where it was a big issue. We called it her “sensible brief” haha
I was surprised how tired she was. I let her nap as much as she needed.
Good luck!
Thank you. I just bought a few of these also. She’s not bleeding much either so far. Appreciate your advice.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both my girls don't wear diapers when in season. They bleed a little (mostly when they get up from a nap, which I can sympathize with) but keep it mostly clean. If some blood gets on the rug or the floor or the couch, we just use peroxide to saturate the area and then dab the spot dry with a clean rag. We also have a little spot cleaner machine that we can use if need be. If we're worried about the couch (or bed if we're going to snuggle), we'll lay a couple towels down before she climbs up.

My rule of thumb is to just give her space. Sometimes she wants to be left alone and sometimes she is very clingy. If she is clingy I try to rub her back and belly in case she gets cramps (idk if dogs do but I figure I'd like it so I do it for her). Sometimes she gets dried blood on her pants or tail feathers, so I just soak it with a little spray bottle of water and them towel her dry in those areas (no need to bath the whole dog mid-season, imo). And then at the end, when all is said and done, we do usually give her a bath.
Thank you. Great advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts